Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Target 2 and Mags

domino329

Hello all. Yesterday I bought a Kimber Stainless Steel Target 2 in 9 mm from a good friend of mine for my son to start shooting USPSA. I was looking into Wilson combat or Chip McCormick 10 round magazines. The Wilson’s were definitely expensive, but also there was a disclaimer under their elite tactical magazines that stated “some Kimber 1911’s have feed ramps that are undressed and will interfere with the ramped front of this magazine.”

When on the Chip McCormick website, I noticed in some of the reviews people stated “this does not work with my Kimber”.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for mags that will work with this gun?

I run all MBX in my limited guns, so I’m not too familiar with the L10. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try a couple of metal form 10 round mags

they're very cost effective and seem to run in anything I put them in.

Dawson sells them under their name with a base pad on them also.

Disclaimer

Never tried them in a Kimber cause I don't own one

Thank you. I will look into them. I am hoping to find someone who is using a specific mag with this gun. Unless I am over complicating it. I just don’t want to order mags and they don’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a target 2 in 9mm and tripp mags worked the best for me. Wilson wouldn't feed the first round and jammed the gun, the tripp worked fine. Every gun is a little different so I would see if anyone where you shoot will let you try one of their mags and check how they feed. 

Tim

I have a target 2 in 9mm and tripp mags worked the best for me. Wilson wouldn't feed the first round and jammed the gun, the tripp worked fine. Every gun is a little different so I would see if anyone where you shoot will let you try one of their mags and check how they feed. 
 Tim

Excellent. Good to know thank you very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to shorten the OAL of the bullet I've been running in my Springfield XDM to operate in my Kimber Target ll.  (Kimber lower/Caspian 9mm upper).  Neither Tripp or Wilson Combat

mags would feed until I shorten the OAL.  Now the Kimber/Caspian combo eats them like a cookie monster.  Bullet profile can also make a big difference in how things will operate.

I got into a group buy of magazines on the M1911.org website a few years back.  One of the big gun gurus "old timer" had taken some mags from this company to review and give feed back to the company for any changes needed.  He said they worked, no FTF ... they were great with the split follower ... just as John Browning designed them.

So I bought 10 at $14.95 each for my Kimber Special Addition Gov. model.  They work with everything, including some of the bluntest hollow point 45 ACP rounds I could find.

I'll dig one out and tell you the maker on them.  I can tell you, that everyone that bought those mags had ZERO problems with them and this was from many different gun makes.

I got into a group buy of magazines on the M1911.org website a few years back.  One of the big gun gurus "old timer" had taken some mags from this company to review and give feed back to the company for any changes needed.  He said they worked, no FTF ... they were great with the split follower ... just as John Browning designed them.
So I bought 10 at $14.95 each for my Kimber Special Addition Gov. model.  They work with everything, including some of the bluntest hollow point 45 ACP rounds I could find.
I'll dig one out and tell you the maker on them.  I can tell you, that everyone that bought those mags had ZERO problems with them and this was from many different gun makes.

Great thanks. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domino329  I didn't get to those mags to see who the maker was ... too much going on at home.  However, if you really want to know the real scoop on how the 1911 magazine works with different style followers, bullets and feed lips read the article in this link:http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/read-my-lips.html .  I came across this when I first got into 1911s and it will open your eyes. 

I do remember at the time of the group buy, that you could pick the style of follower you wanted and I chose the one with the raised dimple on a flat follower.  It doesn't seem like much, but the difference is in the last round in the magazine and how the round is angled up towards the chamber.  It helps to eliminate the FTF problem on those last rounds especially with blunt noses and it makes the Winchester White Box 23ogr hard ball feed like butter.

Edited by Grove
pasted link did not display

Ok, I looked at my mags and they are from Checkmate.

I have to admit that I have been remiss in my firearms since my father passed in 2009.  When I drove up to Spokane, WA to visit, I would bring 4 Winchester White boxes of 230gr ball … that's 200 rounds a piece.  We had a lot of fun at this indoor range by him.

Anyway, the group buy was from Checkmate and "old guy" on the M1911.org forum mentioned that Brownells was selling Colt 1911 magazines, made by Checkmate.  So, over a period of a few months, while I was waiting on the group buy, I bought 6 of those Colt mags.  They have the Cold stallion logo embossed over the Checkmate name and they worked perfectly.

I bought a used Kimber Stainless Target 9mm 3 or 4 years ago. It came with 5 Chip McCormick 10-round magazines. I've put about 2500 rounds through that combination. Never had a Magazine issue. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a used Kimber Stainless Target a couple of years ago. I've used both Metalform and Wilson Combat 10 round mags in it. I've had to put some work into the gun. Had a 2 lb trigger job done and had to have the barrel throated to run reloaded ammo. Both the Metalform and Wilson Combat mags seat just fine and drop free. The problem I have had with it has been ftf's. This happens most often when doing a slide lock reload with a mag that has been pressed to the bottom of a mag pouch. In this case, the top round pivots downward toward the base of the mag just a bit. When the mag is inserted and the slide dropped, I get a nose dive and ftf.

My solution was to buy a new SS from Akai Custom. After that all the problems went away.

Maybe if I get bored this month, I'll take the Kimber out again and see if I can get it to run.

Bill