Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time shooting at the Frost Proof Range

First time shooting at the Frost Proof Range; does anyone have any advise?

I am staying in Sebring and shooting back to back for the first time.  L10 then SS

with same pistol.  Bringing an identical gun as back up and plenty of ammo along

with wagon (w/rain cover), rain gear, water, Gatorade, snacks, etc.  Have shot several

Area matches over the years, but this is my first Nationals.  Shooting PM/AM/PM in

both matches.  Any advise will be appreciated.  Thanks.......

Get there early - a shooter I knew personally arrived 15 minutes late and they wouldn't let him shoot

-    and this wasn't the Nat'ls - just a state level match in Frostproof.

If the Nat'ls people are setting the stages, you'll be fine, BUT if the Frostproof people are setting the

stages, prepare for Memory COF's - really not much you can do about them except arrive Very Early.

Pray for dry weather.

Make sure your ammo is going thru their chrono at PF   :) 

Good luck and have fun.   Let us know how Sebring is - never stayed down there.

You can look at  Nationals like 3 local matches with a few more stages than the regular locals.  

I would sit down as much as possible when your not resetting the stages or whatever. It makes a big difference on your feet and back after being on your feet day after day of just standing and  walking.  I was surprised at how many miles I actually walked over the 3.5 days of Nationals

Good luck and enjoy yourself. It’s a game so have fun with it. 👍🏼

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Shooting PM/AM/PM in both matches.  Any advise will be appreciated.  Thanks.......

For SS and Revolver, there is just one group per day, the AM and PM squads were combined.  Look on Practiscore or at the schedule in the match book.  They sent an email that stated we are shooting 12:30 - 5:00 on Thursday and 9:00 - 2:15 on Friday and Saturday.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, s2000red said:

For SS and Revolver, there is just one group per day, the AM and PM squads were combined.  Look on Practiscore or at the schedule in the match book.  They sent an email that stated we are shooting 12:30 - 5:00 on Thursday and 9:00 - 2:15 on Friday and Saturday.  Good luck.

Thank you very much.  I have not received anything.  I just checked Practiscore and I was on Sqd 221

and now I am on Sqd 203 (with same shooters).   But, it still says PM/AM/PM and no times listed.

No problem, will check tomorrow, when I sign up for L10.  Thank You again for the information.......

Edited by Sparky

2 hours ago, a matt said:

You can look at  Nationals like 3 local matches with a few more stages than the regular locals.  

I would sit down as much as possible when your not resetting the stages or whatever. It makes a big difference on your feet and back after being on your feet day after day of just standing and  walking.  I was surprised at how many miles I actually walked over the 3.5 days of Nationals

Good luck and enjoy yourself. It’s a game so have fun with it. 👍🏼

Thanks A Matt.  I am 70 and I appreciate the info.......

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Get there early - a shooter I knew personally arrived 15 minutes late and they wouldn't let him shoot

-    and this wasn't the Nat'ls - just a state level match in Frostproof.

If the Nat'ls people are setting the stages, you'll be fine, BUT if the Frostproof people are setting the

stages, prepare for Memory COF's - really not much you can do about them except arrive Very Early.

Pray for dry weather.

Make sure your ammo is going thru their chrono at PF   :) 

Good luck and have fun.   Let us know how Sebring is - never stayed down there.

Thanks Hi-Power Jack.  Great advise, always try to get there early, please pray for dry weather

and more points can be lost at Chrono than at any other stage.  Will do on Sebring.......

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Thank you very much.  I have not received anything.  I just checked Practiscore and I was on Sqd 221

and now I am on Sqd 203 (with same shooters).   But, it still says PM/AM/PM and no times listed.

No problem, will check tomorrow, when I sign up for L10.  Thank You again for the information.......

Email went out through Practiscore to the email address registered with 3 weeks ago with the schedule update and the squad page reflects the PM/AM/AM schedule

Emails were sent on any squad consolidation moves also

Schedule on page 6

https://uspsa.org/matchbooks/LOCAP/SS_REV/?fbclid=IwAR1v0J3MRLFylZCqLego2uB2sYmw42kJuWojodgrzR_je7AbYixYdgRi7gU#page=7

Matrix in the back last 3 pages.

not the OP, but my first nationals and 2nd time at frostproof (first time was years ago for a falling steel match).  match was fun, not drastically different/more difficult than the local, state and area matches i have done, other than # stages of course, but still challenging.  happy that there were no real involved memory stages  though there were a couple that required a real plan and not just following the path.  man that humidity sucks though, thought it would be a little better in november but guess not.  match ran very well, really no waiting around.  they had plenty of cold drinking water which was nice.  other than a brain fart or two and forgetting i did actually have a front sight, it was a good match and i'm glad i did it.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

that humidity sucks though, thought it would be better in November 

It usually is much better in November.   We're in the middle of a heat wave - just had The Hottest

October on record, along with three other months this year.     🔥

1 hour ago, davsco said:

that humidity sucks though, thought it would be better in November 

It usually is much better in November.   We're in the middle of a heat wave - just had The Hottest

October on record, along with three other months this year.     🔥

I found the weather no worse than home, actually just a hair cooler and a little lighter on the humidity. But home for me is hell...I mean Southern Louisiana. ;) 

The little bit of rain this morning helped cool things a little bit and made for a pleasant last day.

I had a good time working the 2nd half of the match and got my CRO Cert while there as well.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, rowdyb said:

So, now that you've shot a bit, what do you think?

Rowdy,

I had a great time.  Shot the L10 ok, but screwed up the SS.  

But, regardless I had a good time, went to the awards, etc.  Got to see

some friends I had not seen for a long time.   Will probably stay closer

to home from now on and will shoot as long as I can.  Started in 1979

and I am 70, but still have several good years left.  

Thanks to everyone that responded to my OP.

Ron