Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grease Observation

Steve-O

I took my STI Staccato C apart tonight to clean it, I have 300 rounds on it since I last cleaned and lightly greased it with Slide Glide Lite after buying it new. I noticed the grease was almost like a paste very thick mixed with powder residue. Took some elbow grease to get the stuff out of the gun, the gun didn’t have any malfunctions but just concerned me how nasty and thick that grease was after 300 rounds. After cleaning it I used Amsoil gun oil instead of grease this time, wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen with gun grease? 

Edited by Steve-O

You're observations are correct.  Grease mixes with all kinds of stuff and keeps it in the gun.  Oil moves it out.  Plus with grease, once it's wiped away, it doesn't migrate back.  Oil does.  But I'm sure you'll get a ton of responses for those who prefer grease.  

35 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Funny I came from oil moved to grease and liked slide glide standard in my open guns. Oil wont stay after a few hundred rounds in my open major guns. SG stays and up to the next time I clean them. Dont see returning to oil soon. 

That’s why I went to a grease because of oil’s flinging off, and I liked the grease because it stayed but the stuff in my gun wasn’t even like a lube anymore more like a paste. 

7 hours ago, Steve-O said:

That’s why I went to a grease because of oil’s flinging off, and I liked the grease because it stayed but the stuff in my gun wasn’t even like a lube anymore more like a paste. 

Im using the dirtiest powder Ive known in Open loads but the crud I see accumulate in grease is the same in oil. And I have not had any jams w/ grease due to dirt but I jammed w/ crud coz of failing to re-oil. 
Have not seen your experience in my Open guns w/ SGlide. Started using it my shotguns also w/ good results. Maybe because Im in warmer climate than yours. 

10 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Im using the dirtiest powder Ive known in Open loads but the crud I see accumulate in grease is the same in oil. And I have not had any jams w/ grease due to dirt but I jammed w/ crud coz of failing to re-oil. 
Have not seen your experience in my Open guns w/ SGlide. Started using it my shotguns also w/ good results. Maybe because Im in warmer climate than yours. 

I live in South Texas. 

Just cleaned my Colt Competition.45 SS gun that I also greased and it wasn’t as bad as my STI. Once clean I oiled it with Amsoil gun oil as well, I rack it over and over and noticed small chunks of gunk coming from the front and rear of the slide. Like mentioned it seemed the oil was washing out the dirt. Not saying one is better than the other just a observation after cleaning two different 1911’s of mine.