Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet started tumbling, key holes target

ohsevenflhx

I have used this recipe, powder, primer, crimp, bullet weight, OAL for years and have had no problems at all. I have used this round in Glocks, CZ TS, Beretta PCC, Ruger PCC, Beretta 92 and Px4 with no issues. This fall I purchased a Walther Q5 SF 9mm. I also am trying a 124gr Plated bullet from a company I have never used before. The new bullet with the Q5 SF are having bullets tumble on targets only 10 feet away. Only about 1 in 30 or 40, but still key holing targets. I will work through this, but any suggestions wuld help.

Are the bullets undersized? Or out of spec? We had a similiar issued with some 40sw bullets that were undersized.

Have you tries the rounds in a different pistol yet to eliminate the gun as the cause?

What are they doing beyond 10feet?

Edited by CPD7119

Both previous posters are correct:
-Check the diameter on the new bullets

-Try different loads in that pistol

-Try that load in a different pistol

If none of those show anything wrong, pull a bullet to verify you aren't leaving a crimp ring.

I will bet you are over crimping the new plated bullet. I do not know what you were using previously, but the crimp issue seems to usually be the culprit. Back off how tight the crimp is and see what the results are.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:20 AM, Harpo said:

Both previous posters are correct:
-Check the diameter on the new bullets

-Try different loads in that pistol

-Try that load in a different pistol

If none of those show anything wrong, pull a bullet to verify you aren't leaving a crimp ring.

I was thinking the same thing.

7 hours ago, ohsevenflhx said:

It must be the new bullet. I loaded and tested my other 2 brands and no tumblers. Tried the new company and tumblers again. Guess I'll just use them for practice rounds till they're gone.

Did you measure the bullets? I'd be curious if they are undersized. If they are the manufacturer should either replace them or refund you the money even if they are loaded already.