Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning the P09 for USPSA

Bench

It's always good to have a pistol project in the works. What's the lightest recoil spring that the P09 can tolerate without banging up the lower etc? Looking to go with uncaptured stainless guide rod and the lower spring weight choices I've found range from 11.5# to 13#.

5 hours ago, GMP said:

I'm running a #15 now with the CGW guide rod which is the minimum they recommend.  Seems to run good with minor ammo.  I will soon add a comp so then drop lower. 

Thanks, have you decided which comp you are going to use?

5 hours ago, BJB said:

#15 should be best if your're shooting about 130 PF or so.

Thanks, that's the power factor I'm going for but haven't gotten to a chrono yet, still just fiddling with the gun

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Maybe I'm weird but I find the OEM captured spring to work the best with 115 gr loads at a 130 PF.  Very flat shooter.

Thanks, I just may end up there but just like I have a "need" to shoot, I also have a "need" to fiddle😜

I run a stainless guide rod with a 12lb spring a CGW short reset kit etc and with a 9lb hammer spring and a slide milled to take a DPP I have 2 set up the same one has a large round count and shoots flat and uber reliable with 135grn HP Jacketed projectiles at 130+ power factor. I make the under 1 kg for IPSC PDOL if I want to run in that class or just shoot in PDO with the heavy boys, I have a S2OR factory model sitting in the safe unused.. 

28 minutes ago, rgunner1 said:

I run a stainless guide rod with a 12lb spring a CGW short reset kit etc and with a 9lb hammer spring and a slide milled to take a DPP I have 2 set up the same one has a large round count and shoots flat and uber reliable with 135grn HP Jacketed projectiles at 130+ power factor. I make the under 1 kg for IPSC PDOL if I want to run in that class or just shoot in PDO with the heavy boys, I have a S2OR factory model sitting in the safe unused.. 

Now that's the experience with some numbers I've been looking for. I recently found a 12# hammer spring and swapped that out for the factory spring WOW what a difference with just the hammer spring. A 9# hammer spring should be sweet if it lights off Win primers. Where did that 9# hammer spring come from?

Bench, I picked them up from my local CZ dealer ( who is the CZ importer for Australia)  they are EEMANN TECH great product and huge range options.. I only run Federal primers with this set up, with a 10lb Hammer spring I can ignite S&B primers all day long.. 

Edited by rgunner1
additional text

Mine has all the CGW upgrades and runs perfect.  Everything lights from Federal to S&B.   The race hammer makes a big difference in the SA.  Depending on the gun, the roller can really clean up the DA.  Mine was good with stock roller and polishing the trigger bar.   #11.5 hammer spring, stiffer sear spring, and the #15 recoil spring.   I drilled and tapped the safety lever and added a small alloy spacer as an extension I can hit with my thumb.  A Holosun 507C rides on a Neumount frame mount. I'll be adding the Primary Machine barrel and comp next.  Finally, a single action only conversion and get rid of all the take up in SA.  I have a couple things to try but will probably remove and  add a pin to the front block.  This is just for local knockdown matches so no DA needed.

2 hours ago, rgunner1 said:

Bench, I picked them up from my local CZ dealer ( who is the CZ importer for Australia)  they are EEMANN TECH great product and huge range options.. I only run Federal primers with this set up, with a 10lb Hammer spring I can ignite S&B primers all day long.. 

Thanks, I"ll have to look them up to see what range they have.

1 hour ago, GMP said:

Mine has all the CGW upgrades and runs perfect.  Everything lights from Federal to S&B.   The race hammer makes a big difference in the SA.  Depending on the gun, the roller can really clean up the DA.  Mine was good with stock roller and polishing the trigger bar.   #11.5 hammer spring, stiffer sear spring, and the #15 recoil spring.   I drilled and tapped the safety lever and added a small alloy spacer as an extension I can hit with my thumb.  A Holosun 507C rides on a Neumount frame mount. I'll be adding the Primary Machine barrel and comp next.  Finally, a single action only conversion and get rid of all the take up in SA.  I have a couple things to try but will probably remove and  add a pin to the front block.  This is just for local knockdown matches so no DA needed.

Sounds like you got this thing dialed in!!