Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go to load for varget pushing a 69 smk?

nikdanja

I used to shoot 25.5 grains Varget under the 69s for the 200 yard stages of an Across the Course (Highpower) match.  This was in a 20", 7.7 twist barrel.  More accurate for me than 75s or 77s but did not buck the wind as well.  I also used Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers but I don't know if those are even available anymore.

1 hour ago, cjmill87 said:

I used to shoot 25.5 grains Varget under the 69s for the 200 yard stages of an Across the Course (Highpower) match.  This was in a 20", 7.7 twist barrel.  More accurate for me than 75s or 77s but did not buck the wind as well.  I also used Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers but I don't know if those are even available anymore.

Why magnum and not regular?

Hopefully links to other forums are kosher but here's some discussion from around the time I was shooting them.  I, like others, found that the thicker cup of the magnum primer helped reduce the occurrence of pierced primers.  May not be a concern for you at all depending on your application. http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/wolf-small-rifle-magnum-primers.3798723/

35 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

I load 25.2 of varget. Have you tried RL15?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I haven’t. I read back in the day in a Sierra book that variety was the best in town. I just forgot where they said to start st for load data.