Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a fix for the egw Udie being short?

xxl7evenlxx

When I seat the die onto the shell plate there isn’t enough threads for the locknut. I tried locking it from the bottom, however I have a cnc clamped tool head on a xl750. When the locknut is on the bottom it slightly contacts the press body and not the tool head before I would call it locked. Anyone figure out a fix or alternative for this?

Clearance cut the nut so it doesn’t bind from the bottom, or adjust the press travel length.. something else is wrong though, I don’t have a 750 but you need contact with shell plate, then you back the die off 1/8 ish turn.

look elsewhere for the error

if it use a Lee style locknut with the o ring on it, take it off, flip the nut oer then screw it back on, with nut on the top. Should give you a few more threads of downward adjustment. Works on my 550

You can use a piece of 3/4” copper tubing. I think it’s called copper sweat solder coupling.   It fits perfectly over the die threads.  Cut off a 7/32” piece with a tubing cutter - that’ll make sure it’s a square cut.  The 7/32” will give you enough clearance for the difference in toolhead thickness between Dillon and Whidden.  I had asked the guys at UniqueTek which is where I bought the clamping toolhead for my 650, and they recommended the fix.  In fact Lee from UniqueTek went and tested it and gave me step by step instructions on the fix.  Awesome guys over there.   Let me see if I can find the link and I’ll post it. To be clear - I mean use this as a spacer so you can use die lock ring on the bottom of the toolhead instead of the top.  

Edited by OptimiStick
Clarification

Here it is. Like I said earlier - I was impressed that they recommended it, then a day or two later he had gone to homedepot, bought the copper tubing and tested it and gave me feedback. I'm using it on mine and it works great. My tubing cutter is a cheapo and didn't square the cut very well either, and it still works fine.

http://uniquetek.com/store/696296/uploaded/Die-Lock-Nut-Spacer.pdf

3 hours ago, Intel6 said:

Until Lee started making thier dies longer they all were too short for the Dillons. standard fix has always been to use the lock nut on the bottom of the tool head. 

Yeah. The problem is the Whidden toolheads are not as thick as the Dillons, so when you try to put the locknut on the bottom, the toolhead isn't flush with the press-frame like it is with Dillon toolheads. So the toolhead is recessed and the lock nut hits the frame when you try to snug it to the bottom of the toolhead. That spacer you cut out of copper tubing is so your lock-nut can clear the toolhead and snug up.

3 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Yeah. The problem is the Whidden toolheads are not as thick as the Dillons, so when you try to put the locknut on the bottom, the toolhead isn't flush with the press-frame like it is with Dillon toolheads. So the toolhead is recessed and the lock nut hits the frame when you try to snug it to the bottom of the toolhead. That spacer you cut out of copper tubing is so your lock-nut can clear the toolhead and snug up.

Thanks Optimistick thats exactly what i was looking for!