Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I recently purchased a square deal B in 40 cal and last night during reloading I noticed I was havin issues knockin primers out here and there, after bout the 5 one I noticed the ones I was having issues with was federals, I could send it through 2-3 times and it would finally push it out. But with them being federals why am I struggling to get the primer out? Found it kinda odd

Round off the edges of depriving pin or better yet file a bevel on the tip. The pin is sticking to the primer and pulling it back in.

If you take the time to do a search on the forums you can find out all you need to know. Try entering “primer suck back” in the search window

9 hours ago, Rpope423 said:

10-4 I apologize 

No reason to  apologize about asking a question (or making a comment) on a discussion group -

that's why we're here   :) 

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No reason to  apologize about asking a question (or making a comment) on a discussion group -

that's why we're here   :) 

Agreed. Don’t be sorry, just try searching first. There is a wealth of info already here. Need help with reloading? It’s here. Need help with plumbing? That’s here too!

I remember a few times when the primer didn't want to come out, using SDB. Not sure if primer or primer pocket was the cause. It hasn't happened to me in recent years - and I haven't done any mods to the pin.

I've been told by Colonels, and Ambassadors, and such, that asking questions is not dumb ... I'll take their words for it.😉

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Agreed. Don’t be sorry, just try searching first. There is a wealth of info already here. Need help with reloading? It’s here. Need help with plumbing? That’s here too!

Ive been in the business my whole life

"$#!? runs down hill" thats 90% of what you need to know

I had this issue with my 9mm carbide die and I pulled pin off and filed it. Helped a bit but not completely. I switched to a Mighty armory solved the problem but now I have to lube my cases:(

15 minutes ago, m700 said:

but now I have to lube my cases:(

That's a GOOD thing   :)  

Makes everything easier.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:39 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's a GOOD thing   :)  

Makes everything easier.

I’ve always used case lube regardless makes for a smoother index coming off dies 

Call Dillion customer service, they will help you with issues you having with SDB. They help me with primer issue i was having with my SDB..

Well finally figured out why it hates federals, after rechecking everything and messing around some I noticed after X amount of cases the 1st stage die comes loose just enough to not fully push out the primer and it definitely doesn’t take much 

Strange. The dies on my old SDB haven't moved any over the years. Maybe email Dillon customer service?

1 hour ago, perttime said:

Maybe email Dillon customer service?

Better to phone them.

I just got off phone with them - Great !!!

... Forgot about phoning - but, then, I'm on the other side of the Earth. Response to email has been great too. Not that I've had need to get in touch with CS all that often.

teflon tape will fix your issue

Yeah I stuck some Teflon tape around it for now, I’ve gotta load some here soon so we’ll see what happens 

On 11/5/2019 at 9:01 AM, AHI said:

teflon tape will fix your issue

Not familiar with this cure .     Where do you stick the tape, and what does it do ?

35 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not familiar with this cure .     Where do you stick the tape, and what does it do ?

Tape on the threads of the dies. 

When the blue plastic "friction plate" wears from changing or adjusting dies, there is very little keeping the dies from spinning or losing adjustment.  A little tef tape can help snug them back up (long term, the friction plate should be replaced). 

Wouldn't Dillon replace the plastic friction plate for free ?

Dillon has certainly been very good about replacing broken parts. Had a couple over the years (decades).

Yes Dillon will replace the part  7 to 10 days to get part.

Rap some tape around the threads back up and running now.