Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square deal B

I recently purchased a square deal B in 40 cal and last night during reloading I noticed I was havin issues knockin primers out here and there, after bout the 5 one I noticed the ones I was having issues with was federals, I could send it through 2-3 times and it would finally push it out. But with them being federals why am I struggling to get the primer out? Found it kinda odd

Round off the edges of depriving pin or better yet file a bevel on the tip. The pin is sticking to the primer and pulling it back in.

If you take the time to do a search on the forums you can find out all you need to know. Try entering “primer suck back” in the search window

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No reason to  apologize about asking a question (or making a comment) on a discussion group -

that's why we're here   :) 

Agreed. Don’t be sorry, just try searching first. There is a wealth of info already here. Need help with reloading? It’s here. Need help with plumbing? That’s here too!

I remember a few times when the primer didn't want to come out, using SDB. Not sure if primer or primer pocket was the cause. It hasn't happened to me in recent years - and I haven't done any mods to the pin.

I've been told by Colonels, and Ambassadors, and such, that asking questions is not dumb ... I'll take their words for it.😉

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Agreed. Don’t be sorry, just try searching first. There is a wealth of info already here. Need help with reloading? It’s here. Need help with plumbing? That’s here too!

Ive been in the business my whole life

"$#!? runs down hill" thats 90% of what you need to know

I had this issue with my 9mm carbide die and I pulled pin off and filed it. Helped a bit but not completely. I switched to a Mighty armory solved the problem but now I have to lube my cases:(

Well finally figured out why it hates federals, after rechecking everything and messing around some I noticed after X amount of cases the 1st stage die comes loose just enough to not fully push out the primer and it definitely doesn’t take much 

35 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not familiar with this cure .     Where do you stick the tape, and what does it do ?

Tape on the threads of the dies. 

When the blue plastic "friction plate" wears from changing or adjusting dies, there is very little keeping the dies from spinning or losing adjustment.  A little tef tape can help snug them back up (long term, the friction plate should be replaced). 

• 2 months later...

Just had this exact problem after about 50K rounds on my square deal.  It is the friction plate.  Removed mine and saw this (pictures)  Dillon actually has a video on youtube regarding this under the topic "cleaning the dillon precision square deal B".  They show these little pads that seat when the handle is down for the first stage.  If they are worn, with the step as in my pictures, the shell does not go down as far.  Mine was off the lower plate by about 1/16".  The primer pin does not go in as far and the shell does not get sized quite all the way.  I was not having sizing problems, but many primers would hang in the pocket and get hung up on the next stage.  It took a few years to get this worn.

Wrote them a message and I am hoping to see a new one asap.  but even their website says they won't answer emails for 7 days.  Fingers crossed.

Great little machine!

m_20200120_233101.jpg

m_20200120_233116.jpg

16 hours ago, goodair said:

Just had this exact problem after about 50K rounds on my square deal.  It is the friction plate.  Removed mine and saw this (pictures)  Dillon actually has a video on youtube regarding this under the topic "cleaning the dillon precision square deal B".  They show these little pads that seat when the handle is down for the first stage.  If they are worn, with the step as in my pictures, the shell does not go down as far.  Mine was off the lower plate by about 1/16".  The primer pin does not go in as far and the shell does not get sized quite all the way.  I was not having sizing problems, but many primers would hang in the pocket and get hung up on the next stage.  It took a few years to get this worn.

Wrote them a message and I am hoping to see a new one asap.  but even their website says they won't answer emails for 7 days.  Fingers crossed.

Great little machine!

While this is good advice (replace the friction plate when the pads are worn), it's not 100% accurate. 

The pads do not affect the de-priming process. 

The sizing die itself floats inside the press chassis. The pads are the only thing that stops the die from traveling upward as the case is inserted. However, the de-priming pin is fixed in place by the threads in the tool head. It's spacial relationship to the ram/shellplate does not change as the pads wear. 

Unfortunately, replacing the friction plate most likely won't solve your d-priming issues. 

Interesting.  I will have to look at that.  I did replace the friction plate as I found a spare in a box I had when I bought this thing used years ago.  Dillon did get back to me in ONE DAY and has another on the way.  Last night I loaded 600 rounds of 9mm 147 blues, and did not have one single primer fail to decap.   I was getting one out of 20 before.  Didn't change anything else so that is a mystery to me.   Maybe something else was going on, but the plate did something good anyway.  Also noticed that the cases are being resized a little better/deeper now. Thanks for the info.