Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a 21 round 40sw 140mm mag


nikdanja
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

TTI has the springs, +1 follower and 4mm base pads in stock.  All you need is an STI tube and you build it yourself.  21+1 reloadable in 40.  24+1 reloadable in 9mm.


awesome! Thanks. Do you know of anyone else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My MBX 40 mags were 20 reloadable.  I could put 21 in some, but I refuse to slam a mag home.  I use the TTI spring, +1 and base pad with STI Gen 2 tubes.  They work great.  I still use my MBX 9mm mags for USPSA.  They just run and run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what to say about people having difficulty seating 21 round 40 cal MBX mags. I always seat my mags with authority regardless of them being loaded with 20 or 21 rounds. I really don't feel a difference when reloading to a 21 round verses a 20 round mag.

 

If you are inserting and seating the magazine in a ginger manner I can see there being an "Issue" with seating 21 round mags. But the solution is still seating the mag with authority. So why not simply do it the same way all the time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also want to point out that cramming 21 rounds into an MBX mag smashes the spring to a serious coil bind situation which WILL ruin it faster than only putting 20 rounds in the mag. I dedicate 1 specific MBX mag that I only load it to 21 rounds when its absolutely needed. That way if the spring gets smoked after a few of those 21 round loads I only have to replace that one spring versus replacing all of my mag springs. In my experience the 21 round magazine spring lasts about 1/10th as long as the other MBX mags that I only put 20 rounds in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lastly, I have only seen a 22+1 magazine setup in Limited be a true advantage in any match TWICE through all of my years of competing. Both of these stages were crazy hoser style stages that were 24 rounds of non-stop rage blasting with hit factors in the 15 - 17 range. Basically, the hit factor has to be high enough to absorb intentionally eating a miss by not performing a reload. This is a super rare circumstance that I am not willing to haul a 22+1 Frankenmag to every single match hoping to get to use it that ONE time it might be an advantage. Someone else can risk using that mag and hope that it doesn't fail mid run. All of the 22+1 mag setups I have played with and witnessed do have serious reliability issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Lastly, I have only seen a 22+1 magazine setup in Limited be a true advantage in any match TWICE through all of my years of competing. Both of these stages were crazy hoser style stages that were 24 rounds of non-stop rage blasting with hit factors in the 15 - 17 range. Basically, the hit factor has to be high enough to absorb intentionally eating a miss by not performing a reload. This is a super rare circumstance that I am not willing to haul a 22+1 Frankenmag to every single match hoping to get to use it that ONE time it might be an advantage. Someone else can risk using that mag and hope that it doesn't fail mid run. All of the 22+1 mag setups I have played with and witnessed do have serious reliability issues.

All my mags are MBX but I’ve never tried to load 21 in them. I’m gonna have to try it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Lastly, I have only seen a 22+1 magazine setup in Limited be a true advantage in any match TWICE through all of my years of competing. Both of these stages were crazy hoser style stages that were 24 rounds of non-stop rage blasting with hit factors in the 15 - 17 range. Basically, the hit factor has to be high enough to absorb intentionally eating a miss by not performing a reload. This is a super rare circumstance that I am not willing to haul a 22+1 Frankenmag to every single match hoping to get to use it that ONE time it might be an advantage. Someone else can risk using that mag and hope that it doesn't fail mid run. All of the 22+1 mag setups I have played with and witnessed do have serious reliability issues.

I also like the idea of using only “that mag” to load to 21. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the risk of stating obvious, don’t forget to top one off during LAMR.

 

All my mags max out at 20, so when 21 is helpful I chamber one from another mag on belt then seat a fresh 20 rounder prior to start. Rarely need 21 after reload. 
 

Also, I bet a 21 rounder would be tough to seat during a stage in full stride...bound to end up on the ground. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Paulie said:

Also, I bet a 21 rounder would be tough to seat during a stage in full stride...bound to end up on the ground. 

 

That's why I only load 20.  Plus the springs are the same after three seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

None of my standard MBX 140mm .40 mags are even close to 21 "reloadable".  I MIGHT be able to get 21 rounds in one or two of them, but it is SUPERRRR tight. Like cant lock it in the gun tight. 

 

However, I do have a prototype 21 "reloadable" that Adrian made for me last year. The tube is formed differently, and the follower is modified. It won't take 22, but it reloads 21 really nicely, and has always been 100%. I don't how people are getting "21 reloadable" in their standard MBX .40 mags, when Adrian (owner) thought it necessary to use a re-designed tube and follower to accomplish it? 

 

All that being said, similar to what Charlies point.... It's rare that I even feel the need to use the 21. Heck, I reload 19 over half the time. Doesn't hurt to have it in the bag though. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2019 at 12:49 PM, Ssanders224 said:

None of my standard MBX 140mm .40 mags are even close to 21 "reloadable".  I MIGHT be able to get 21 rounds in one or two of them, but it is SUPERRRR tight. Like cant lock it in the gun tight. 

 

However, I do have a prototype 21 "reloadable" that Adrian made for me last year. The tube is formed differently, and the follower is modified. It won't take 22, but it reloads 21 really nicely, and has always been 100%. I don't how people are getting "21 reloadable" in their standard MBX .40 mags, when Adrian (owner) thought it necessary to use a re-designed tube and follower to accomplish it? 

 

All that being said, similar to what Charlies point.... It's rare that I even feel the need to use the 21. Heck, I reload 19 over half the time. Doesn't hurt to have it in the bag though. 

 

 

I have all MBX mags but use the grams springs and follower. I thought the same thing but I also haven’t tried in a year or so. I was thinking maybe they changed something up and now you could. 
 

really would like to get a 21 rounder for the next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 4:18 PM, zzt said:

TTI has the springs, +1 follower and 4mm base pads in stock.  All you need is an STI tube and you build it yourself.  21+1 reloadable in 40.  24+1 reloadable in 9mm.

Make sure you check them to make sure they ft the gauge, I know a guy that got bumped to open because he was using TTI 4mm basepads.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, bret said:

Make sure you check them to make sure they ft the gauge, I know a guy that got bumped to open because he was using TTI 4mm basepads.

 

 

I shoot Open.  The 4G base pads definitely do not fit in the 141.25mm gauge without modification.  I believe the website says so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...