Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson precision sight heights?

AWZ1387

I am planning on getting a couple of sets of dawson sights for my glocks. Anyone know why the website lists different heights for each model on the gen 5s. The gen 4s are all the same height.

They even have different heights for the 17/19 and the 19x/45. The 19x/45 is the same barrel length as the 19. 

The different heights / selection will allow the shooter to achieve the POA/POI they desire.

The above can be useful to fine tune based on a desired load or cartridge

Also, there are or can be slight differences from one shooter to another

9 hours ago, DWS said:

The different heights / selection will allow the shooter to achieve the POA/POI they desire.

The above can be useful to fine tune based on a desired load or cartridge

Also, there are or can be slight differences from one shooter to another

Yes, I see that they sell individual sight heights for fine tuning. But I am looking at the pre-made sets they offer. 

For instance they list the gen 5 17/19:  .235 Front / .225 Rear and the 19X/45:  .225 Front / .225 Rear. The 19 and the 19x/45 use the same barrel length. Why is one .235 vs .225?

Then the gen 5 34 is listed as .215 Front / .225 Rear.

Edited by AWZ1387

I asked the question... lock up angle is different on the gen 5 guns so the need different heights.  You'd have to ask Dawson why they recommend a different height for the 19 vs 19x.  I suspect it's an oversight on their part, or it is not materially different enough to matter.  According to Dawson's calculator, the difference is an inch at 20 yards.  I'd bag my gun with the stock sights, measure those along with the poi vs poa on the target and do some calculus to figure out what would work better with my particular gun, if I thought an inch at 20 yards was material.

I can say that the basic gen 5 glock 34 mos sights are spot on on my gun.  I used gen 4 height sights on my 26 as the gen 5 sights were impacting too low.

As DWS wrote earlier and rephrased to reinforce:

We are individuals with varying grip, sight picture, hold, trigger pull, etc. No one guy can begin to know what is best for the next guy. 

Shoot your own gun, figure out your POA/POI knowing your own technique and preferences. IF you are not happy then consult Dawson for fine tuning while also considering the nuances emphasized by tha1000 immediately before me.