Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extending and polishing forcing cone?

1911vm

I still love running my 870 against gas guns. I never win but I never loose.  I had my loading port open and over sized dom safety and that is it on mods. The action is smooth as butter but that is from thousands of rounds.  It was suggested to me that Extending and polishing forcing cone is something that I should consider.  I don't know any one that has that on there shotgun.  Can anyone chime in with some information.  Thanks 

I had forcing cones removed from my trap gun years ago. Made a huge improvement to recoil reduction. But then again back in those days forcing cones were only like a half inch long LOL. I understand they are much longer now so maybe the improvement isn’t as significant

call Roberts Gun Works in Batesville, Arkansas, 870-251-9955, and ask if they think lengthening then polishing the forcing cones in your shotgun would help reduce recoil. They did it to my Benelli M2 barrel and it reduced the recoil.

as indicated above many trap shooters have the forcing cone lengthened/polished to their O/U shotguns to reduce recoil since they shoot so many rounds. Some of the manufacturers have this already done on their new O/U competition shotguns.

Another option is RAS/Guncat. Steve is a frequent SME poster here and has a great reputation for quality work at a fair price.

Going to send him my 930 JM barrel for forcing cone lengthening and polishing. Seems reasonable at $80, return shipping included.

Some might consider this analogous to polishing a turd 🙄 but its my only semi auto SG and runs well...

Mark