Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA World Shoot Thoughts

PokerNGuns

Overall I understand this was the biggest match IDPA has ever put on and I was glad I attended. The staff this year I thought was much more efficient then last year and overall schedule was

kept well. Having said that, some improvements that should have been made from the prior years Nats at CMP along with some match equity issues leave room for improvement going forward.

1. Standardize the way bays are run. There were 7 bays with 2 stages each ignoring the warmups. Each bay/SO squad should run squads the same way. Most preference would be to have shooters do a walkthrough and shoot that stage then walkthrough on second and then shoot that stage. For time maybe it is quicker to do both walkthroughs then split squad and run both stages concurrently. But going from one bay to another having to listen to a sermon about how the bay will be run is wasting most of the time trying to be gained. Run all bays the same no matter the choice.

2. This is a world shoot. Just as shooters are expected to treat SOs/staff with respect so should it be returned. Some shooters on Friday morning endured some threatening commands about not finishing the match and finding time on there own to finish. Imagine traveling from China/South America to hear that. 

3. Equity. For a world match it must be paramount for equal target presentations for everyone. T-shirts covering most of the targets does not fit this bill. Yes it is in the rule book that t-shirts can be used however this was overkill. As t shirts were shot up they weren’t replaced but rotated or cut. By the last day especially you may have a shirt were the majority of holes were left of center. Then another group bottom of target and even a third grouping on right. Shirts have to be lifted to paste and maybe they were straight when folded back over maybe they weren’t, not to mention wind or other factors.  You do your walkthrough and try to find a spot on the shirt to focus on but it may or may not be in the same location by the time you shoot. Local match go for it, Tier 2+ more than 1 stage is to much. 

4. Equity. Non shooting actions on clock must be  on same playing field for everyone. ie pull rope to activate swinger is good. Let SO tie your hands up not so good. Ever tried getting out of dry rope vs wet? Can you tie hands up the same 390 times? As videos come out you’ll be able to see the difference. Yea this one personally affected me as I apparently tried to get out too aggressively and incorrectly forcing me to shoot still tied. 

5. Equity. I did not shoot the PCC match but maybe the warm up wasn’t the best. Remember there is no air gunning. There is also a rule about no blind stages. Top level shooters being better off taking FTDRs is not appropriate at a nationals match in this case.  

6. Registration. Though the match is over I think IDPA should evaluate Nationals/Worlds registration going forward and be more clear through the process. Allowing for larger match size may have benefits as well 

I debated posting this because I do think overall the match was ran well. Next year the match will be in Colorado so I think it’s a chance to keep learning and improving. On that note I think I’ll go do some dry fire so I can improve 🤦‍♂️!

1 hour ago, PokerNGuns said:

5. Equity. I did not shoot the PCC match but maybe the warm up wasn’t the best. Remember there is no air gunning. There is also a rule about no blind stages. Top level shooters being better off taking FTDRs is not appropriate at a nationals match in this case.  

I didn't shoot the PCC match either so what about that PCC stage has to do with air gunning and blind stages? 

I don't see how it's the match fault some shooters chose to take a penalty because they can't shoot prone weak side 🤷🏻‍♀️

What's worse about the pcc match was that warm up stage was shot on non reactive, non restoreable targets where the the SO silently called your "hits". You didn't know your score until you stood up. Absolutely ridiculous to shoot those polymer plates hung by string.

If one time is cool, then 14 more times is cool right? Not when it comes to t-shirt stages. The gimmick was over done. As was the faux body armor.

Chik fil a for lunch every day, not just staff day. No more subway please.

Two stages in every bay. Bad. Having each crew run the bays differently bad. At one bay I had to tell them to wait as I came off a stage as my name was called to shoot the next stage!! I roughly told them no, I would not hurry up over there and they would have to wait while I loaded a mag and took a drink of water. On PCC day we were told as well, "You have 45 minutes in each bay. If your squad isn't done in that 45 minutes you have to move to the next bay regardless and if you haven't shot come back and finish at the end." This was an extremely heavy handed message though I never saw it actually carried out. It also lead to 2 minute walk throughs for my my squad on some stages. Can you imagine being a MM or SS shooter and sharing only 2 minutes with 10 other people  to look at a stage at this level of event?

There was extreme variability in getting one's hands tied. Again, it was taking something to far, feeling that if a little is good then more must be better. ammo in box, gun empty on box, on knees, up range, bag over head, hands tied. That is stupid. (And to sound like a big sensitive baby, it was frankly unsettling to me to be part of a mock execution when I know people were killed in this manner. They weren't in a defensive shooting, they were murdered. Why not put me in an orange jump suit while you're at it. Extremely poor taste)

The CMP "safety" video is orientation and propaganda. Watching it made no one safer.

All the China love bothered me as well. China is an avowed enemy to our national interests and that of our long time allies. Sucking up to them on social media and in real life is weak and short sighted.

How many stages did a pistol have a better time than a pcc?

If PCC shooters could shoot the whole match in a day, why not have that option for pistol shooters?

And as someone who didn't get into Worlds I to would like to see it be more than a participation award to get in. People who work matches should get more points and people who win divisions should get more points.

Ok, now after a fairly long list of things I totally didn't like, what did I like? Shooter badges were nicer to keep as a souvenir. (the bag contents were lame in the pcc match) The fault lines were ALL placed in appropriate spots. (which is a bigger deal than you realize). The rain barriers over the targets never interfered with the shooting. Reset was not excessive and all moving targets operated evenly. Shade and water on the bays. Incredibly easier bag and unbag of pcc than at other matches I've been to.

Edited by rowdyb

10 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

don't see how it's the match fault some shooters chose to take a penalty because they can't shoot prone weak side

Saying "shoot prone weak side" sounds pretty easy and it would be normally. But when you create a very narrow set of boundaries aka cover lines and then a very low barrier to shoot under it suddenly becomes very body type specific. Had they just made the shooter engage the target through the cinder blocks and wood cross piece no one would have had an issue. But to then also make the shooting area only 2' wide and then it got wayyyyy different.

Outside of body type and physical ability, if a stage is better shot taking a ftdr generally that points to poor stage design rather than poor shooter ability.

I was 10th on stage 16. With a time of 16 seconds and all hits.

At least the last 30 competitors would have been better off kneeling, shooting six shots and standing up; taking the ftdr and 2 misses.

Screenshot_20191029-090155_Chrome.jpg

41 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I had a buddy shoot the prone warm up stage buy putting his arms under the 4x4 with his elbows on the ground and then brought the gun up to his eye line and sighted over the 4x4 and shot it like that. No PE

The wonderful consistency......

18 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

The wonderful consistency......

I think they'd of let anyone do this you just had to ask the right question. I did ask if my arms could be past the board and was told yes. And I was told I could touch the ground past the board too. I didn't consider what he did until he told me about it that night.

*It's still lame, you shouldn't have to play 20 questions to figure out a stage.

Edited by Racinready300ex

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

All the China love bothered me as well. China is an avowed enemy to our national interests and that of our long time allies. Sucking up to them on social media and in real life is weak and short sighted.

Agree with many of the observation and the event could have many areas to improve upon.

Comment above really got to my nerve as I do not often comment on stuff like this publicly. The term "avowed enemy" is a really big word, last time I check even on CNN, that was not the case. The competitive shooting community is small, and in my mind, holds a bunch of passionate and open-minded individuals, despite the gender, birth country, ethnicity, race, culture, religious belief. These are what make the community great. I respect the feeling against the country, entity as a whole. One can like Glock and hate 1911 as a whole, vice versa, no problem whatsoever. However, the individuals from China who attend WC had the same interest and love as everyone else in the match. They all work hard in their life, and got to where they are with nothing but their bare hands and minds. Team contains surgeons, doctors, script writers, businessmen, engineers and many extraordinary individual with excellent trades and skills, like everyone in this forum(I'd like to call them elite). I had the opportunity helping them out on ways I could, and it was a true pleasure for me. Thumb up to every staff member we met at world shoot, who treat the team equally, follow strictly to range command and provided best accommodation they were allowed. At the end of day, mixing the feeling of individual and country on social media and in real life is weak and short sighted.

-Ming

Edited by qianrcx1231991

3 minutes ago, qianrcx1231991 said:

Agree with many of the observation and the event could have many areas to improve upon.

Comment above really got to my nerve as I do not often comment on stuff like this publicly. The term "avowed enemy" is a really big word, last time I check even on CNN, that was not the case. The competitive shooting community is small, and in my mind, holds a bunch of passionate and open-minded individuals, despite the gender, birth country, ethnicity, race, culture, religious belief. These are what make the community great. I respect the feeling against the country, entity as a whole. One can like Glock and hate 1911 as a whole, vice versa, no problem whatsoever. However, the individuals from China who attend WC had the same interest and love as everyone else in the match. They all work hard in their life, and got to where they are with nothing but their bare hands and minds. Team contains surgeons, doctors, script writers, businessmen, engineers and many elites from other trades. I had the opportunity helping them out on ways I could, and it was a true pleasure for me. Thumb up to every staff member we met at world shoot, who treat the team equally, follow strictly to range command and provided best accommodation they were allowed. At the end of day, mixing the feeling of individual and country on social media and in real life is weak and short sighted.

-Ming

“elites” says it all. In a free country you do not have to be an “elite “ to enjoy shooting sports.

5 minutes ago, qianrcx1231991 said:

Comment above really got to my nerve as I do not often comment on stuff like this publicly. The term "avowed enemy" is a really big word, last time I check even on CNN, that was not the case. The competitive shooting community is small, and in my mind, holds a bunch of passionate and open-minded individuals, despite the gender, birth country, ethnicity, race, culture, religious belief. These are what make the community great. I respect the feeling against the country, entity as a whole. One can like Glock and hate 1911 as a whole, vice versa, no problem whatsoever. However, the individuals from China who attend WC had the same interest and love as everyone else in the match. They all work hard in their life, and got to where they are with nothing but their bare hands and minds. Team contains surgeons, doctors, script writers, businessmen, engineers and many elites from other trades. I had the opportunity helping them out on ways I could, and it was a true pleasure for me. Thumb up to every staff member we met at world shoot, who treat the team equally, follow strictly to range command and provided best accommodation they were allowed. At the end of day, mixing the feeling of individual and country on social media and in real life is weak and short sighted.

-Ming

“elites” says it all. In a free country you do not have to be an “elite “ to enjoy shooting sports.

19 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I think “elite” in qianrcx1231991 post just mean they are successful in their profession. Not necessarily elites in economic or social status. I know Chinese shooters, no different than any other guys that love shooting sports.  

Edited by thx1138jt

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think they'd of let anyone do this you just had to ask the right question. I did ask if my arms could be past the board and was told yes. And I was told I could touch the ground past the board too. I didn't consider what he did until he told me about it that night.

*It's still lame, you shouldn't have to play 20 questions to figure out a stage.

How is that on your strong or weak side??

49 minutes ago, qianrcx1231991 said:

-Ming

I speak of international relations, not of the people. I've worked in the defense/nat sec sector and Chinese national interests do not align with the USA's. I am stridently against the government of mainland China.

So at my sporting events, I want to see NOTHING about mainland China.

53 minutes ago, qianrcx1231991 said:

At the end of day, mixing the feeling of individual and country on social media and in real life is weak and short sighted

I disagree, overlooking them is weak and short sighted. I would rather be banned for life from this forum than accept having to apologize or retract saying something disparaging about the government of mainland china.

Edited by rowdyb

I hate to be a party pooper, but how do these match or officiating inconsistencies differ from just about any other IDPA Match? Granted, I haven't attended a bunch of IDPA matches but the ones I have were a train wreck when it came to consistent match deployment or officiating. THAT is part of the IDPA game. Embrace it or move onto a different shooting sport that doesn't foster that craziness.

1 minute ago, CHA-LEE said:

I hate to be a party pooper, but how do these match or officiating inconsistencies differ from just about any other IDPA Match? Granted, I haven't attended a bunch of IDPA matches but the ones I have were a train wreck when it came to consistent match deployment or officiating. THAT is part of the IDPA game. Embrace it or move onto a different shooting sport that doesn't foster that craziness.

Every sport has its craziness. Was but a year ago podcasts were all the rage about SHO/WHO nationals, just recently Limited Nationals there was observations by high level shooters of bad calls... I shoot both Sports. There are plenty of good IDPA matches that have been ran this year and good people in both sports from all over the world. This thread was merely trying to point out a couple things I think should be improved upon going into next years IDPA nats that In my opinion would help strengthen match overall.