Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex open holster build.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: Well I have wanted to try a Kydex open holster for a number of years. I found a couple of people who could build one but they all said it may not fit your open pistol or it would have to be reheated to work. So being a little handy with tools I decided to make my own holster. Here is what I came up with. I still have to decide on which mount system to go with but so far it seems to work pretty well. Thanks, Eric

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

Hello: This open pistol has a Allchin mount with his flat thumb rest. The tools I used to make the holster were a toaster oven, two pieces of foam, large clamp, clamping press and the most important part was a hand held non e contact thermometer. Don't get the Kydex too hot and that is where the thermometer helped to get the 325-340 degrees I needed in the toaster oven. Thanks, Eric

Hello: With my toaster oven set on low it took about 5 minutes. It got hotter sooner than I thought it would. I set it on low to heat it up slowly so I could raise the temp to 300 but I found out that on low it got up to 330 degrees alot quicker than expected. The infrared thermometer saved me from burning up the Kydex or making it shinny. It was only $10 and I can use it for all kind of things. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Yes I added a wood block so that I could mount a hanger on the holster. The added space gives clearance for the mounting screws so they won't contact the frame or slide. I have not tried the holster yet to see how fast or slow it is for me. With a little dry fire setting up the angle I think it will be fast enough for me. Thanks, Eric