Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Shrouded Barrel in USPSA

Is anyone using JP's ultralight shrouded barrel in USPSA? I've heard many people use it for Steel Challenge and maybe it's more applicable for that game.

I have a side charging upper on my GMR-15, but I have been thinking about going lighter. Does anyone think the shrouded Barrel would be a good choice for USPSA?

Depends on your shooting style, build preferences etc. The Ultralight transitions incredibly fast. I brought it and my 10.5" SBR to shoot Nationals. I ended up shooting the SBR due to the advantage of moving between walls but I would have shot the Ultralight just as well most likely. I definitely prefer the Ultralight over a 14.5" pin/weld as the transitions are so much faster. 

It will depend a bit on you and how you like your rifles set up though so if you can try one out for sure try it. 

20 hours ago, Adamj said:

Is anyone using JP's ultralight shrouded barrel in USPSA? I've heard many people use it for Steel Challenge and maybe it's more applicable for that game.

I have a side charging upper on my GMR-15, but I have been thinking about going lighter. Does anyone think the shrouded Barrel would be a good choice for USPSA?

For me personally, I like a heavier gun in USPSA.  Right about 7#.  However, I did shoot an ULW Taccom for a season and did well with it.  

A good load and buffer stroke are likely the more important mechanics of the division.

Let me preface this by saying I do not yet shoot PCC in USPSA.  When I do it will be with the WilandUSA LLW barrel for no other reason than that is what I'll shoot for Steel Challenge.

If I were able to, I'd go with an SBR.  After watching the gyrations PCC shooters go through to clear walls and barriers, I can see the advantage.  That being said, it may be just my area.  Most stages are not PCC friendly, and one MD is openly hostile to them.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

... one MD is openly hostile to them.

Makes the win that much sweeter, right? I think there are a number of effective techniques for moving the PCC around in tight spaces to make it less of an issue. I have shot both a short 10.5" PCC and 16" shrouded PCC in my local USPSA and Multigun matches and I really thought that it would be a detriment, but not really. Running a carbine (223 or 9mm) is kinda my interest personally, so I think the techniques are just part of the deal if you're into running a rifle. Maybe they carry over from Multigun, although I haven't personally shot a lot of "tight" Multigun courses I guess, compared to USPSA courses. I think the Open shooters have a couple advantages and the PCC shooters have a couple advantages to where the divisions are interesting and if you have some Open shooters who are cool with the PCC crowd to shoot with it makes for a fun match IMO, especially if you are at a similar skill level. There is an Open shooter at my club who is cool about the whole thing and he can beat me a lot of the time when I run PCC and other times I can get ahead of him but it makes it fun.

I have a 5.5" Taccom extension on mine, the gun is fairly light - just a little over 6lbs. I would say my setup falls directly in between something like the ULW and a 16" barrel, but I would tend to lean toward lighter up front is better. Good for transitions but also good for snapping the muzzle up or down when exiting a position or moving around something. For me, I naturally grasp the handguard of a carbine just shy of the muzzle of a 10.5" barrel so virtually everything beyond my hand is an aluminum tube. Not much weight out there to move around.