Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheaper alternative for DAA Alpha X Holster and Racer magpouch

Stmark73

I'd rather save for a couple months and buy the real thing than support a Chinese company's blatant theft of IP.

That being said, you will most likely find out why they are a fraction of the price if and when you buy them.  They might look the same, but the quality will not be.  Buy once/cry once.

True, about the IP theft and buy once/cry once motto. But if you're just starting out and figuring out gears that would work for you in the beginning. It's not a bad idea trying  out the those knock offs. In my case, I have a Production/CO rig and would want to try Limited/Open division in the near future. Those knock offs have gotten me to try my Limited/Open set up that's been in the safe for a while. If my venture in Limited/Open division flourishes, then I'll buy the DAA  stuffs. Then I'll just relegate the knock offs as  back up gear for my Production/CO rig for my other pistol.

Thank you,

Mark Santos

1 hour ago, PharmDShooter said:

I have the less expensive DAA Racer line. I’ve used them for 2 seasons now and been happy with them. They’re not that much more expensive than those listed. 

I prefer the racer pouches to the aluminum ones..

Don’t get me wrong, I like the DAA equipments. That is my current rig for Production/CO. Just contemplating on getting their Alpha X-series gear or go another brand.The knock off  are a good candidate (cheap) for testing and modifying. I won’t  modify my DAA gear just for the sake of resale value. If all is well with my mods, then I’ll get the complete Alpha X gear. 
But for those that want to start in the shooting sport and don’t know what gear they would like in the future, the KO’s are a good start.

That’s my opinion only.

Thank you, 

Mark Santos

12 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

I prefer the racer pouches to the aluminum ones..

Yes, that is what I’m modifying the KO’s for. Putting plastic inserts on all side of the mag pouches with the left over insert from my DAA gear. If I like the feel of the inserts, then will go get the Alpha series and sell my DAA Race master pouches that is in standby. 
After all the experimenting is done, I’ll have a back up gear for my back up CO pistol.

Thank you, 

Mark Santos

I get that you're trying to save money but in the end it will cost a lot more.

If you buy the DAA pouches and end up not wanting then for whatever reason, they would have good resale value here. The cheap Chinese knock offs not so much.

And a +1 for not supporting the Chinese theft of IP....

If I was just starting out.  I would ask around and try different rigs until I found something I liked.  DAA mags pouches and holster is not that much money. Spend the extra few bucks and buy something you know is quality.

i know the quality of the DAA gears, it's just the tinkerer in me that urged me to buy the knock offs and modify them to my liking. I have both the Alpha X holster and race master pouches, still deciding if I would let go of the race master pouches for the Alpha x pouches. The knock off quality seems good but only time will tell, plus they are disposable so i could drill, file, sand and all the things that can be done to satisfy my needs. If everything fails, I still have my unmolested  DAA holster and pouches.

Thank you,

Mark Santos 

The bigger benefit of the Alpha-A pouches over the Race Master pouches is not the inserts. The draw from the new Alpha-X is a *little* nicer, but the Race Masters were fine. The big upgrade is the new locking ball joint. The Race Masters used 2 set screws that grubbed into the ball joint. Over time, they would dimple the ball and lose tension. The new ball joint on the Alpha X has a locking collar which is MUCH more secure.

Based on the photos of the knockoffs, I'm not even sure they have copied the Alpha X. These appear to use the older Race Master style with grub screws. I didn't like them from DAA, I'm quite certain they will be far worse when made out of knock-off Chinesium.