Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC for open division

Sean_ht

I plan to purchase a STI DVC for open division for BOTH USPSA and Steel-Challenge matches.

Could u please help me to decide between DVC-O and DVC-S (or you think there is a better option other than these two, please share you suggestion)?

I know the DVC-O has a larger comp. and is designed to run major.

So, I assume, I can just change the spring and run 9mm minor. Please correct me, if I am wrong. 

As for the DVC-S, I assume the smaller comp. makes it a bit more pleasant when moving from one taraget to the next one. Since it runs 9mm minor, I assume changing spring can transform it to a major 9mm handgun. However, I am not sure if the barrel of DVC-S can handle the more pressure of a 9mm major ammo.

Could you please guide me to choose among them?

Thanks,

Sean

On 10/27/2019 at 11:52 AM, BadShot said:

Will they be replacing them with something new or are they getting out of the open gun business?

Looks like they are getting out of the Open gun business, probably tired of fixing and replacing them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, bret said:

Looks like they are getting out of the Open gun business, probably tired of fixing and replacing them.

oh, haha, a good reason, lol. Are they really that bad? Still consider to be expensive guns comparing with other prod or co guns.

11 hours ago, firerain said:

oh, haha, a good reason, lol. Are they really that bad? Still consider to be expensive guns comparing with other prod or co guns.

I know several people that had DVC open guns break, some had them replaced more than once.

Get a real open gun and if your hell bent on shooting bunny fart loads for SC drop the springs to 7 / 15 with a 90/95g bullet and get ready to giggle. USPSA spring change and real loads then get it.

Lots of STI's have been back to the factory. Food for thought. Buy once / cry once.  If you get an STI that doesn't crack the slide / comp, well, pick me up and lets go buy lotto tickets. 

Thanks for the responses.

I am aware of the cracking issue the STI had in the past. I assumed when the introduced "the new" DVC products with the newer C-more red-dot, they also addressed the cracking issue.

Does anyone know, if the new DVC-Open model still suffer from cracking over time?

I know CK Arms is one alternative for STI, and they are making reliable 2011-platform handguns. 

I have heard from two Atlas owners that Atlas is a supper picky handgun, and they work with a very specific and narrow range of ammo-loads.

If I want to pick a reliable 2011-platform open handgun, do I have any other option?

Edited by Sean_ht