Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unknown debris in gun after shooting reloads.

ThatN00b

What stick said, looks like un-burned powder. What kind of powder are you using? Have you chrono’d the ammo? Are the casings very dirty after you fire them? Could be a crimp issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unburned powder. It's not a bad thing in general but that's a lot you may wanna switch powders. I got that with universal Clay's and after 250 in my 45 it stopped running until being cleaned

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shooters World Major Pistol.....Open...exact same problem with “ oatmeal “.

PF 172....124 DP HP.

i sent this formula to the manufacturer and have had no response......

It’s just a hassle for me , but would be interested in eliminating it completely!!

On 10/27/2019 at 6:01 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Any additional info you can provide would be useful in helping you diagnose the problem.

How much powder ?   OAL ?   Velocity ?   Anything unusual about the gun ?

Condition of the brass after firing ?  Accuracy ?

I run 9.2 gr of shooters world major pistol, OAL is 1.162, about 1350 fps. Its an open gun, Atlas chaos. Accuracy is pretty good and velocity is consistent within 10fps difference. The brass after firing seems normal. I would compare it to factory ammo after being fired. 

On 10/27/2019 at 5:21 AM, jc3257 said:

What stick said, looks like un-burned powder. What kind of powder are you using? Have you chrono’d the ammo? Are the casings very dirty after you fire them? Could be a crimp issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm using shooters world major pistol, I have chrono'd the ammo several times, and the casings don't seem excessively dirty. I use the lee factory crimp and run a pretty tight crimp on my loads. Should I try to find a new powder to use? I would really like to eliminate this issue. I have to completely disassemble my gun after shooting any amount because this stuff gets in every nook and cranny.

Thanks

1. Try Rifle Primer.
  2. Try to go Higher to about 172pf
  3. Use Lee U sizing die (Undersized die will make sure that there is no bullet setback)
  4. Do not Crimp, but instead just eliminate bell
  5. Depending on the batch of powder, you should find sweet spot for Chaos at around 9.7 gr with 124gr PD JHP or MG CMJ at 1.165-1.169

3 hours ago, SeattleDude said:
  1. Try Rifle Primer.
  2. Try to go Higher to about 172pf
  3. Use Lee U sizing die (Undersized die will make sure that there is no bullet setback)
  4. Do not Crimp, but instead just eliminate bell
  5. Depending on the batch of powder, you should find sweet spot for Chaos at around 9.7 gr with 124gr PD JHP or MG CMJ at 1.165-1.169

Thank you for the response! So would a very tight crimp cause that build up?

As stated above #1 you need a hotter spark you can try cci small pistol magnum primers (550)

#2 increase power factor alittle ( your actually increasing pressure)Major Pistol/AA7 need pressure to burn cleaner.

The lot of AA7 that I have is cleaner than the lot of MP that I currently have (next lot it may change.)#3sizing the brass holds the bullet not crimp.

#4crimp will not cause your issue.#5    sweet spot for me was 9.8 (also the recommended load from Atlas)     

Not enough pressure for the powder to burn efficiently, whatever the actual cause.

The only times when I've got anything remotely like that is when I start with bullets that I haven't used before and use a very "conservative" powder charge.

Small rifle primers are the way to go with high pressure lots-o-powder loads like 9 Major.  It won't clean up all the 'cornmeal', that's just burnt powder residue, but it will get everything ignited.

Small rifle primers are the same size as small pistol and Open shooters have used them for decades so no worries about swapping them in.

Here is a primer comparison I did using a Chaos and AA#7 (very similar to MP you are using).

Never got as dirty as yours though :)

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/270400-primer-choices-riflepistolmagnum/?do=findComment&comment=3011825

You asked:

7 hours ago, ThatN00b said:

Thank you for the response! So would a very tight crimp cause that build up?

Very tight crimp... anything more than removing the bell is too much and reduces case tension, accuracy potential, etc...

Seems like a very tight crimp (bullet loose in case) could jack with initial pressures and completeness of burn ?

You need to get your crimp right. Here is a link to what works for me:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/270442-case-crimping-too-tight/?do=findComment&comment=3009548