Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Could crimp on a 19 be the problem?

Face5535

Hi Enos, looking for some thoughts on reloads in my G19 gen4.

Ive been struggling with figuring out what the issue is on my pistol.  It’s all hyped up with the typical fan boy mods... stipple, milling, trigger, etc...

Ive been getting light primer strikes.  At first I thought it was the striker spring, so I went from 4lb to 4.5lb and now to factory.  It seems as though the issue was only happening when I was using a mag with a +3 or more TT extension.  Makes no sense but, it’s what I could see as the common denominator.

i am shooting reloads (pistol has a lantac barrel)... I didn’t think the ammo was an issue as I haven’t had any issues shooting this ammo out off my 1911’s, P210, or P30... all shoot my loads flawlessly with zero issues or malfunctions.  

Today, I was shooting a G17 all factory and the exact same thing happened (yes using my ammo).  This threw me for a major loop so I took a look at my reloads.  Everything is fine in terms of load and OAL, but the crimp was a bit much. 

Since the 9mm sits on the case neck, could the round be going into the chamber a few thousandths to far causing firing pin not to actually reach it on a round every once in a while?

i wasn’t sure if I should ask this here or in the reloading  section. 

Anyway, trying to get this thing running properly, and trying to narrow down any and all potential issues.

all thoughts here would be appreciated.

I’m sure your reloading process is pretty good but things do come loose then fall out of adjustment.

First run a few mags of factory to rule out the gun. Then start looking at the reloaded ammo. Could be high primers. Try to refire the duds. If they go off the primers might be a tad high. 

38 minutes ago, Face5535 said:

re-firing doesn’t set them off.

Sounds like it's unlikely, but is it possible that you have

some wet lube inside the case when you fill the powder ?

You didn't mention which primers you're using - my TruBor lights

off every Russian primer, but my Browning P-35 doesn't - guess

the primers are a little too hard for the P-35.

No because I’ve shot over 3k of this same round during the same session of reloading ... and I have no issues in my other guns.  The only pistol/pistols I am having an issue with is my G19, and a factory G17 that I a friend brought over today.

Not a single issue outside of the Glocks...

So It’s not the barrel, it’s not the gun, its not the aftermarket parts...

It’s just this ammo... in a Glock.  Which it’s totally bizarre. 

If it shot perfect out of the 17, I’d say it was the gun.  If the ammo was an issue in my 1911’s, P210, or my P30, I’d say it was my reloads.

The only thing left is factory ammo out of my Glock... and the that rules out the gun completely.   As mentioned when mic-info my reloads vs factory, the crimp is a a bit off.

**As for primers, I’ve used CCI, ,Winchester, Tula... 

Edited by Face5535

18 minutes ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Try performing a plunk test with your Glock barrel. Your bullets could be engaging the rifling instead of the case mouth. This would cushion the firing pin hit.

How do I do this?

Take the barrel out of the gun, drop a loaded round in, and see if it spins. If it doesn't, it's touching the rifling and is too long. The crimp, if it is somewhat extreme, may be allowing the round to go slightly past the index in the barrel when the round is pushed into the chamber. What is the measurement of your crimp?

9 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Take the barrel out of the gun, drop a loaded round in, and see if it spins. If it doesn't, it's touching the rifling and is too long. The crimp, if it is somewhat extreme, may be allowing the round to go slightly past the index in the barrel when the round is pushed into the chamber. What is the measurement of your crimp?

Rounds are spinning fine...

Crimp is: .372 or so

Ok, spinning fine, no touching the rifling. The crimp is not overly too much, but you might think about trying around .378 for it. The only other thing is high primers. Can you take some pictures of of the primers and of a pulled bullet and post them?

A hammer fired pistol and a striker fired pistol arnt comparable to rule out ammunition.  My guess is the primers are either not seated all the way.  Also the plunk test should also make the plunk sound (hence the name) and the round should fall out of the chamber freely.  Your issues with the extensions would be due to the follower probably hanging up or a weak spring.  This could leave the round just out of battery enough that it would not ignite.  

How could my striker/firing pin be hitting the primer so hard on the first two, and then I get the light hit on the last?  

This is with the factory striker spring, lantac barrel, johnny glock trigger... all three out of the same gun (G19)

3 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Way over crimped. The bullet should be almost pristine when pulled, maybe the slightest indentation. 

So, I obviously see this:)

Is this the potential issue?  Any other though based on seeing the rounds?

3 minutes ago, redpillregret said:

One thing I’ve learned is the more you deviate from a factory gun, the less reliable it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously...  At this point we are way past that though:) Ha!

6 minutes ago, Face5535 said:

So, I obviously see this:)

Is this the potential issue?  Any other though based on seeing the rounds?

It could be. With it crimped that much, the case mouth is not catching on the shoulder in the chamber. Back off the crimp to about .378, try the plunk test, and see if that resolves the issue. Have you recently changed bullets? Can you post a pic or two of some seated but unfired primers? Kind of a side picture, so we can see how deep they are seated?