• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue, right-handed and dominant left-eye. I used the translucent tape for many years after reading it in your book. In my last years of shooting Open I took the tape off, I can’t remember why and found that I was no longer getting the double-vision sight picture from my left-eye.

I was still lining up the red-dot with my right eye, because my left is dominant, what I could see was just the dot super-imposed on the target. Basically my left eye was focused on the target, while my right is lined up with the dot.

It took a while to get used to it but when I switched to a CO type setup in 2014 I found my transitions and shot-calling improved enormously.

2 minutes ago, benos said:

Hey Paul,

I don't know... but I would not be surprised if the dominant strength of either eye might change with time and training.

I think it does. At least that’s what’s going on with me. Due to my hyperthyroid condition, the orbital muscles around my eyes are swollen. The right orbital muscles are worse and my right (dominant eye) is having difficulty to focus on anything. In fact, if I use my right eye, everything I see is double. It’s worse when I turn to my right and look at an object.

My ophthalmologist prescribed Tepezza infusion treatment but the med is not widely available due to  COVID 19 Operation Warp Speed. So for the meantime, he told me to use a patch over my right eye to prevent it but getting strained too much by trying to focus. I had been wearing the patch at home for a few weeks now and have noticed that my left eye is becoming my dominant eye.

By wearing a patch over my right eye, the movement associated in focusing on an object is virtually eliminated. Due to this, my left eye is forced to do all the work to the point where it’s now becoming my dominant eye. The biggest downside is the significant loss of depth perception when moving towards my right side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...