Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Mdooz

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

Maybe they are using recycled Skodas 😂😂😂

 

A lot harder to source recycled skoda in the US. 😉 

 

As mentioned, only cz produced parts here are the rear sight on the full size, slide stop spring, extractor spring, and of course the magazines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume who ever makes the slide for DW is making that. CZ are not making the frame?  

Edited by 1911vm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ajohnson15 said:

 

A lot harder to source recycled skoda in the US. 😉 

 

As mentioned, only cz produced parts here are the rear sight on the full size, slide stop spring, extractor spring, and of course the magazines.

Thanks for the reclarification, can't wait to take one apart and tinker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking of the compact version for steel challenge carry optics class. Being an alloy frame , what is it like 30 oz.. great for fast draw and transitions.  Great ergos , trigger and I'm sure very accurate ! Sign me up !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shmella said:

so all the hype over this is basically from limited shooters or someone trying to get into limited cheaper than a 2011? I just dont understand what this gun does for people besides cool factor of mashing a cz and 1911 together to make something new.

 

Idk if there has really been hype passed what the people have speculated on themselves. Realistically the only officially distributed information has been:

An announcement press release

A few instagram and facebook photos

Shot show interviews with CZ-USA.

 

Certainly no glock 44, Springfield armory saint, hudson h9, etc. Level Hype build ups.

 

As far as what it does. At the moment without it being in public hands most of it is speculation.

 

What can be said for sure however though is:

-It provides a 1911 fire control system in a package that feels very much like a cz. (What benefit there is to a 1911 system over the cz 75 series fcg is chiefly subjective, but it can at least be irrefutabley said that there is a far greater aftermarket for components, knowledge pool and Smiths available when it comes to the 1911 trigger system compared with the 75 series at least in the US.)

-trying to stay away from subjectivity as much as possible, but I will say control geometry/ position is quite a bit more friendly to more hand sizes than any 2011 frame I've yet to handle. Magazine catch, slide stop and safety are all easy to manipulate without changing grip position for pretty much all but the very smallest hands and having grip panels does make finding something with the perfect contours quite a bit easier and cheaper than figuring out what 2011 grip will feel right (though the henning grips he made specifically to match the slightly different contours of the model are damn hard to beat for feel and grip)

-again comparing to 2011 style guns, a reversible magazine catch is standard here in comparison and ALL magazines available feature catch positions for both sides (looking at you MBX😉)

-cheaper mags (that if you will take my word for it, really do run great), given if you put pads and guts in everyone you buy, ya the cost savings isnt as significant, but I'd say just the simple opportunity to have cheap stock configuration spares is nice.

-while the full size frame of the dwx and slide height/bore axis is built around geometry of the .40 s&w (rather than 45 acp as in 2011's giving it a bore axis about .100" lower). Slide stroke length is actually kept at the longer 1911/2011 distant rather than the shorter stroke length used in the tso or shadow 2. Is there an objective benefit? Idk but it sure feels nice😅

-it's already been said quite a few places, but a advantage this has over other new to market designs is a good sized aftermarket already available by keeping compatibility with commonly customized/ tuned components from the 75 series and 1911s. 

-just like every dan wesson 1911, every part of the dwx is machined from billet or forging (not to say there is anything wrong with castings or mim, but in a product of this nature and quality expectation, I dont really care for the cost saving manufacturing technologies too much)

-lastly, (and after realizing this post is already wayyyy too long for the average attention span) talking a little bit about grip geometry (definitely starting to get into the subjective/hypish territory here, but as one of my favorite features I do have to mention it) the combination of a 75ish beavertail/backstrap geometry, the very high undercut of under the trigger guard allowed by the 1911 trigger and p-10/p-09 mag catch position and the parallel to rails bore axis really do lend to a very natural pointing sight alignment and return to aim.

 

Probably missed some other various "reasons you need another gun" but TLDR. really the most important things are

A. It's a new gun and more guns in the world is always a good thing

and B. It looks cool 😃

Edited by Ajohnson15
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1911vm said:

I assume who ever makes the slide for DW is making that. CZ are not making the frame?  

Cz is not making the frames or slides, only the extractor spring, slide stop spring, rear sight for the full size and the firearm uses cz mags. The dwx frames are made from forgings. 

 

Eta. Mentioned a bit earlier in the thread, but this is very much a DW product with some CZ influence rather than the opposite.

Edited by Ajohnson15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

I think that's a question for Yigal🤔

I have friends who have had an automatic Skoda Yeti with dual clutch gear . recently started to fall apart. Apparently there is a connection between the 2 factories in the Czech Republic and the  Skodas  now probably produce from shadow 2 recycled cracked frames.😉

Edited by yigal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yigal said:

I have friends who have had an automatic Skoda Yeti with dual clutch gear . recently started to fall apart. Apparently there is a connection between the 2 factories in the Czech Republic....

 

Both made in the same country as Laugo Alien?

 

😎😄😂🤣

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, perttime said:

 

Both made in the same country as Laugo Alien?

 

😎😄😂🤣

 

sorry my mistake.3 😀 Now I know where the aliens landed 😉

And the price of $$$$ 5000 per unit is to repair their spaceship.

Edited by yigal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so the company that announced the gun almost 1 years ago and still not available. is making frames and slides for DWX?  GREAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ajohnson15 said:

 

Idk if there has really been hype passed what the people have speculated on themselves. Realistically the only officially distributed information has been:

An announcement press release

A few instagram and facebook photos

Shot show interviews with CZ-USA.

 

Certainly no glock 44, Springfield armory saint, hudson h9, etc. Level Hype build ups.

 

As far as what it does. At the moment without it being in public hands most of it is speculation.

 

What can be said for sure however though is:

-It provides a 1911 fire control system in a package that feels very much like a cz. (What benefit there is to a 1911 system over the cz 75 series fcg is chiefly subjective, but it can at least be irrefutabley said that there is a far greater aftermarket for components, knowledge pool and Smiths available when it comes to the 1911 trigger system compared with the 75 series at least in the US.)

-trying to stay away from subjectivity as much as possible, but I will say control geometry/ position is quite a bit more friendly to more hand sizes than any 2011 frame I've yet to handle. Magazine catch, slide stop and safety are all easy to manipulate without changing grip position for pretty much all but the very smallest hands and having grip panels does make finding something with the perfect contours quite a bit easier and cheaper than figuring out what 2011 grip will feel right (though the henning grips he made specifically to match the slightly different contours of the model are damn hard to beat for feel and grip)

-again comparing to 2011 style guns, a reversible magazine catch is standard here in comparison and ALL magazines available feature catch positions for both sides (looking at you MBX😉)

-cheaper mags (that if you will take my word for it, really do run great), given if you put pads and guts in everyone you buy, ya the cost savings isnt as significant, but I'd say just the simple opportunity to have cheap stock configuration spares is nice.

-while the full size frame of the dwx and slide height/bore axis is built around geometry of the .40 s&w (rather than 45 acp as in 2011's giving it a bore axis about .100" lower). Slide stroke length is actually kept at the longer 1911/2011 distant rather than the shorter stroke length used in the tso or shadow 2. Is there an objective benefit? Idk but it sure feels nice😅

-it's already been said quite a few places, but a advantage this has over other new to market designs is a good sized aftermarket already available by keeping compatibility with commonly customized/ tuned components from the 75 series and 1911s. 

-just like every dan wesson 1911, every part of the dwx is machined from billet or forging (not to say there is anything wrong with castings or mim, but in a product of this nature and quality expectation, I dont really care for the cost saving manufacturing technologies too much)

-lastly, (and after realizing this post is already wayyyy too long for the average attention span) talking a little bit about grip geometry (definitely starting to get into the subjective/hypish territory here, but as one of my favorite features I do have to mention it) the combination of a 75ish beavertail/backstrap geometry, the very high undercut of under the trigger guard allowed by the 1911 trigger and p-10/p-09 mag catch position and the parallel to rails bore axis really do lend to a very natural pointing sight alignment and return to aim.

 

Probably missed some other various "reasons you need another gun" but TLDR. really the most important things are

A. It's a new gun and more guns in the world is always a good thing

and B. It looks cool 😃

very well said

 

we should welcome any new gun aimed at the (small) competition market!

 

recycled or not (who cares) my CZ's are fabulous as will this gun be, I want one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1911vm said:

so the company that announced the gun almost 1 years ago and still not available. is making frames and slides for DWX?  GREAT.

October 24th 2019 was a year ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are videos of this gun on YouTube from a year ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1911vm said:

There are videos of this gun on YouTube from a year ago. 

Oldest video i can find anywhere and official announcement occurred on Oct 21st 2019 (looks like I was off by a couple days😅

 

If you are seeing something different I would sure like a link 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ajohnson15 said:

Oldest video i can find anywhere and official announcement occurred on Oct 21st 2019 (looks like I was off by a couple days😅

 

If you are seeing something different I would sure like a link 

do u have pic. of lower lug in this gun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ajohnson15 said:

Oldest video i can find anywhere and official announcement occurred on Oct 21st 2019 (looks like I was off by a couple days😅

 

If you are seeing something different I would sure like a link 

Oct 2 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

Oct 2 2018

 

That video isn't about any DW, or even CZ,  pistol. It is about the Laugo Alien.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, perttime said:

 

That video isn't about any DW, or even CZ,  pistol. It is about the Laugo Alien.

👍

Aliens are less torturing me. I've seen enough disqualified p7 m13  because of power factor  loose with same mech. like this alien.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, perttime said:

 

That video isn't about any DW, or even CZ,  pistol. It is about the Laugo Alien.

I miss read one of the posts. 

 

Both made in the same country as Laugo Alien?

 

I thought it said the slide and frame was made by the same company that makes Alien.  LOLOLOL 

Edited by 1911vm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1911vm said:

I miss read one of the posts. 

 

Both made in the same country as Laugo Alien?

 

I thought it said the slide and frame was made by the same company that makes Alien.  LOLOLOL 

As far as i did understand Matt Hopkins right, it´s a CZ/DanWesson. It´s a Shadow 2 Grip (or clone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I thought also.  I think its going to be a great Christmas present.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1911vm said:

I miss read one of the posts. 

 

Both made in the same country as Laugo Alien?

 

I thought it said the slide and frame was made by the same company that makes Alien.  LOLOLOL 

No, as mentioned before, the only parts made in the Czech republic are the rear sight, extractor spring, and slide stop spring and it uses cz mags.

 

Otherwise this is a US gun.

Edited by Ajohnson15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...