Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

16 minutes ago, BryceA said:

Other than the 1911 style trigger, what is better about it than a TSO? The prices are effectively the same, the slide is likely heavier while the gun is lighter, and it's obviously less proven, at least at this time. What am I missing?

Not sure there's a compelling reason to pick up a DWX if you already have a TSO, for the reasons you pointed out.  The main advantage is the 2011-style trigger (coupled with CZ grip angle) for those folks that don't like the feel of a hinge trigger, like the TSO.  Having said that, I pre-ordered a DWX to check it out. 

If you're dipping your toes into limited, I'd pick up a TSO or TS and see how you like it.  Entry level 2011s are going up in price, so good luck finding a new one at the same price point as a new TSO.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, BryceA said:

I'm really interested in getting a good Limited gun and am oscillating back and forth between really wanting a DWX and thinking the best thing about the DWX will be and downward price pressure it may put on the TSO and the reasonably priced 2011 guns (if they still exist). Other than the 1911 style trigger, what is better about it than a TSO? The prices are effectively the same, the slide is likely heavier while the gun is lighter, and it's obviously less proven, at least at this time. What am I missing?

I think the only other thing is the magazine situation - the P-09/P-10 mags that the DWX uses are going to be MUCH cheaper than TS mags. There's also going to be some cross-compatibility with different platforms. If you're going to be mostly shooting Limited, there's not much use case in being able to share .40 mags across platforms, but for 9mm, it could theoretically let you use a common pool of mags for a 3 gun/Limited Minor pistol, Production, and Carry Optics.

I don't really think that's significant enough to be a deciding factor, but it's a thing. I kind of agree that the most important impact this thing will have is filling the void that's appeared in the market between production guns and full custom builds, and maybe providing enough competition to start driving prices down.

Edited by Steve133
I accidentally a word

1 hour ago, Steve133 said:

If you're going to be mostly shooting Limited, there's not much use case in being able to share .40 mags across platforms, but for 9mm, it could theoretically let you use a common pool of mags for a 3 gun/Limited Minor pistol, Production, and Carry Optics.

It just so happens I have a P-10F, so if I was interested in 9mm I'd totally get the appeal. However, I wasn't clear that I'm only interested in the 40 S&W to get major PF (otherwise I'd probably just go for a S2 which is far cheaper and would be a great prod gun) and it looks like CZ is walking back their poly guns chambered in 40 which I kind of understand considering where the defensive and plinking markets are at.

With the 40 mags only holding 15 rounds I wonder how many rounds they are gonna be able to get within the 140mm length. My TSO has 22 reloadable I don’t think these new mags are going to be able to accomplish that and stay at 140mm. 

1 hour ago, Superpipe9 said:

With the 40 mags only holding 15 rounds I wonder how many rounds they are gonna be able to get within the 140mm length. My TSO has 22 reloadable I don’t think these new mags are going to be able to accomplish that and stay at 140mm. 

There's a post earlier in the thread that shows it's possible to get 21+1 in a 140mm mag.

7 hours ago, Steve133 said:

I think the only other thing is the magazine situation - the P-09/P-10 mags that the DWX uses are going to be MUCH cheaper than TS mags. There's also going to be some cross-compatibility with different platforms. If you're going to be mostly shooting Limited, there's not much use case in being able to share .40 mags across platforms, but for 9mm, it could theoretically let you use a common pool of mags for a 3 gun/Limited Minor pistol, Production, and Carry Optics.

The mag price is not really an issue. While it's nice to have a bunch of spare magazines, five mags with extensions is plenty for most matches. The DWX mags are only $10-15 less ($30-35 vs $45) and you're still going to spend ~$50 on extensions and new springs for each, so you're looking at a setup cost of $85 vs $95/mag. The DWX is only shipping with two mags vs three for the TSO, so to get a setup with five mags total the cost will be almost the same. 

3 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Just want the best shooting gun (recoil/back to target) in it's class.

Why do you think the DWX will be the best shooting gun in it's class? I'm not trying to argue, it's a genuine question as I have zero experience with the limited class firearms but am interested in getting one in the near future.

8 minutes ago, BryceA said:

Why do you think the DWX will be the best shooting gun in it's class? I'm not trying to argue, it's a genuine question as I have zero experience with the limited class firearms but am interested in getting one in the near future.

I would think for the money it might be the best and if you prefer CZ ergonomics  over  2011  the same 

1 hour ago, BryceA said:

Since CZ's have superior ergonomics. That combined with superior 1911 trigger.... Simple.

Made it back to the booth today. Had some good conversations about the DWX. It was intended to be a limited division gun from the start. It sounds like the mags are going to be up for sale when they come in. They are being very careful about giving out dates. It’s easy to get 21+1 in 40 with the Henning basepads. I’m interested to see how they do. Definitely an awesome price point to get a 1911 trigger in a limited gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, regor said:

The mag price is not really an issue. While it's nice to have a bunch of spare magazines, five mags with extensions is plenty for most matches. The DWX mags are only $10-15 less ($30-35 vs $45) and you're still going to spend ~$50 on extensions and new springs for each, so you're looking at a setup cost of $85 vs $95/mag. The DWX is only shipping with two mags vs three for the TSO, so to get a setup with five mags total the cost will be almost the same. 

I didn't say it was a big deal, and you're absolutely correct that it is not. But $15 is $15, and if someone is scratching their head just trying to identify all the differences between this platform and the Tac Sport (which was the context of that comment), then it still bears pointing out. It is still a difference, however slight. The mags are cheaper, not to mention more common, which means that you stand a much better chance of catching them at a theoretical "street price" instead of full MSRP.

Though your observation does add some much-needed mathematical context - thanks for adding that.

Cross-compatibility with different platforms is still a thing if 9mm is your jam... which it admittedly probably isn't, since it sounds like most people are looking at this solely as a Limited gun....

I'm comfy with a 1911. Every 2011 that I've had in my hands felt too chunky. When I gave a TS a try, it was nice. The only thing that bothered me about the TS was the safety lever. I thought the safety pivots in an unfamiliar way, and I couldn't get the safety on with my right hand thumb. The safety worked easily enough but the dimensions and leverages were unfamiliar.

18 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Don't care about mags. Just want the best shooting gun (recoil/back to target) in it's class. CZ looks to have a winner here!

CZ please bring it to Europe as a CZ since no-one knows dan wesson over here...

DW has reputation in Europe. And it's not a good one. Rumor is they made pretty s#!tty revolvers. 

But yeah I wouldn't mind an European distributor. I really want a PM-9.

Edited by Tirppa

49 minutes ago, bigfish said:

Hopefully they sell different length tiggers that can be swapped out 

I thought I heard in one of the videos that you could use aftermarket 1911 triggers because of the chassis? Sorry, I cant remember if it was in one of the videos or if it was on a Instagram post from SHOT.