Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thompson/Center Arms T/CR22 <--- too good to be true?

Hotchkiss

I have long been thinking about setting up an "open" rifle for Rimfire Challenge action shooting competition. I was reading about the Thompson/Center Arms T/CR22 and it seems like it's close to being ready to go for ~$285.00:

- Machined aluminum receiver with an integral Picatinny rail.

- It's light -- #4.4.

- Magpul stock well-suited for action shooting.

- Pre-threaded for compensator.

- Accepts trigger groups (including BX) and magazines designed for Ruger 10/22.

- Last shot hold-open feature (when using T/C mags.)

- Stock fiber optic sights for possible Limited Class competition.

- Best of all, based on Youtube feedback from some reputable people, this thing flat-out runs reliably on just about any 22LR ammo.

It's possible to spend quite a bit more (easily 2x-4x) to get these features in a Ruger 10/22 based firearm, or another based on the 10/22 (e.g. Magnum Research MLR.)

Is the T/CR22 as good a deal as it appears -- is it T/C (Smith & Wesson) attempting to take a bite out of its main competitor, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 1:40 PM, Hotchkiss said:

I have long been thinking about setting up an "open" rifle for Rimfire Challenge action shooting competition. I was reading about the Thompson/Center Arms T/CR22 and it seems like it's close to being ready to go for ~$285.00:

- Machined aluminum receiver with an integral Picatinny rail.

- It's light -- #4.4.

- Magpul stock well-suited for action shooting.

- Pre-threaded for compensator.

- Accepts trigger groups (including BX) and magazines designed for Ruger 10/22.

- Last shot hold-open feature (when using T/C mags.)

- Stock fiber optic sights for possible Limited Class competition.

- Best of all, based on Youtube feedback from some reputable people, this thing flat-out runs reliably on just about any 22LR ammo.

It's possible to spend quite a bit more (easily 2x-4x) to get these features in a Ruger 10/22 based firearm, or another based on the 10/22 (e.g. Magnum Research MLR.)

Is the T/CR22 as good a deal as it appears -- is it T/C (Smith & Wesson) attempting to take a bite out of its main competitor, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Ruger clearly is feeling the heat over this: They've filed a case against S&W/TC. https://www.unionleader.com/news/business/sturm-ruger-takes-smith-wesson-to-court-over-its-iconic/article_8158e5ce-38f4-5167-aeb0-e85979a2c895.html

I have two 10/22s and two TCR/22s (well, I have one and my son has one). Admittedly, the Rugers are stock guns with nothing added, but I LOVE the TCRs. All of the features you mentioned made them worth it. The T/C mags with the LRBHO kinda suck to load, in my opinion, but it's neat they included that feature.

My 11 year old son and I swapped back and forth between one of the TCRs and my 15-22 at a steel challenge match and as much as I love my 15-22, I REALLY loved the TCR. It comes with all the features I WISH Ruger would put in their guns.