Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ for IDPA SSP

Mikemiller69gs

All, I'm new here but currently shoot a Walther Q5 Match poly in IDPA - SSP. I'm interested in looking at a CZ for the same class. I've handled a few different CZs and really like the feel but trying to find which one will meet the limitations of the class, namely 43oz weight limit. It looks like older an older Shadow may meet the requirement but I'm now thoroughly confused. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

All, I'm new here but currently shoot a Walther Q5 Match poly in IDPA - SSP. I'm interested in looking at a CZ for the same class. I've handled a few different CZs and really like the feel but trying to find which one will meet the limitations of the class, namely 43oz weight limit. It looks like older an older Shadow may meet the requirement but I'm now thoroughly confused. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

The CZ75 SP-01 is the original gamer gun in IDPA. Differences between the SP-01 and the Shadow 1 is the absence of a firing pin block on the Shadow 1. SP-01 Tactical is just the decocker version.

A done up SP-01 with Cajun Gun Works internal parts is IDPA legal. I think if its the CZCustoms AccuShadow, it’s not IDPA legal(?) because of the barrel bushing.

Hi, I use a SP01 and for the last year have been shooting in SSP and it has been great! 

Like SouperMan said, the SP01-Shadow does not have the firing pin block and for the most part is the only difference, that being the difference, functionally there is less trigger creep before the single action brake before the hammer drops. Also you pay 300 more for the FPB delete option. 😝

Recently however I decided that i would play around with my gun and fully outfit it with all the Cajun Gunworks internals including the forward and rear travel adjustable trigger and the race hammer the short reset system and 10x barrel bushing, then also the CZ Custome stainless guide rod and magwell and warping it up, fully adjustable sights from Dawson. Then a good polish job on the moving parts and SHAM WOW this thing is amazing! and fits just under the 43oz. limit.

It is now an ESP gun.

Capture1.JPG

Edited by Andy9

23 hours ago, Mikemiller69gs said:

Mike

Mike:

Call CZ Custom in Mesa, AZ and ask for Stuart.  It might take a bit for him to get back to you, but it will be worth the wait.  He is extremely knowledgable, shoots competitively himself, and is always helpful and patient in answering questions and providing guidance to help you find the right pistol for your needs.

As others have stated, the sp-01s are good to go. I've used an original shadow for years and don't see myself switching to anything else. They should all meet the requirements except for the shadow 2, acu shadow, bull shadows,  or tactical sports. 

On 10/25/2019 at 12:46 AM, SouperMan said:

The CZ75 SP-01 is the original gamer gun in IDPA. Differences between the SP-01 and the Shadow 1 is the absence of a firing pin block on the Shadow 1. SP-01 Tactical is just the decocker version.

A done up SP-01 with Cajun Gun Works internal parts is IDPA legal. I think if its the CZCustoms AccuShadow, it’s not IDPA legal(?) because of the barrel bushing.

The Accu Bushing does not make the SP-01 Shadow illegal for IDPA, but it does make the pistol ESP instead of SSP. 

Also, SSP has to start hammer down for any DA/SA pistols.  

I shoot a SP-01 Tactical in SSP. The advantage is the ability to start in the "half cocked" position resulting in a slightly shorter and lighter pull.  Plus I have always shot DA/SA decocker pistols and never put in the time on manual safety guns.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, CGoodwin said:

I shoot a SP-01 Tactical in SSP. The advantage is the ability to start in the "half cocked" position resulting in a slightly shorter and lighter pull.  Plus I have always shot DA/SA decocker pistols and never put in the time on manual safety guns.

Same here (with a 75BD and a P-09 set up with the decocker).  I prefer that both IDPA and USPSA rules require you can start from the half cock notch with decocker CZs instead of having to lower it all the way down manually. 

I read all over the internet that you can't get as good a trigger with decocker CZs as you can otherwise.  Then I go do my own trigger job and find out that the people who say that have never actually done it so they're just repeating what they read or heard elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 1:44 PM, CGoodwin said:

Edited by MajorPain

• 1 month later...

I got my CZ back a couple of weeks back. I took it to the range and I really liked the the SA pull Improvement but wasn’t a huge fan of the DA improvement. I ordered the 11.5 spring and the CGW/Dawson EZ/D sights (advertised for aging eyes). The spring really made for a nice DA pull and I used off the shelf 115 and 124 ammo. I really like the sights. I’ll keep dry firing and practicing for the early spring IDPA matches. 

The CGW 8.5# spring will drop the DA pull even more but will only ignite Winchester or Federal primers. Some may scoff at igniting Winchester’s reliably but mine has been 100% ignition with several thousand down the pipe in my S2. It will even light off CCI# but fails 1-2 per hundred. CCIs are OK to practice with since they are cheaper. If it fails to light one off just pull the trigger again and boom.

Edited by igolfat8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, Mikemiller69gs said:

Finally put a trigger pull gauge on the gun and came out at roughly 2.5 SA and 4.6 DA. Night and day compared to new but now I need the extended mag release and I should be good to go for the first IDPA match in March

Careful, I’m not sure what your gun has for a mag release now but extended mag release make your gun not legal in SSP. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:27 AM, Malarky112 said:

Careful, I’m not sure what your gun has for a mag release now but extended mag release make your gun not legal in SSP. 

The Shadow 2 Mag release is not allowed, but the extended is as it is an OFM production part on the SP01 shadow.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, Mikemiller69gs said:

Finally put a trigger pull gauge on the gun and came out at roughly 2.5 SA and 4.6 DA. Night and day compared to new but now I need the extended mag release and I should be good to go for the first IDPA match in March

Wow that's really light.  I run the 11.5lb hammer spring as well, and I don't think my pulls are that light.

Although I also run the CGW Prod. Legal competition hammer.  I have tried the actual CZ Shadow stock hammer with the round spur, and the sear hooks were so short (and Didn't grind or mod them at all) that the SA break was scary light, at least for my tastes.  It seriously felt like a bullseye gun, or when someone gets a Tactical Sport and the factory trigger is crazy light, like a pound.  It's I think the same hammer that came on the normal-production TS's.  Anyway, with the 11.5lb hammer, an extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring, ignition has been fine on everything except some CCI Blazer Brass that I think came form a bad batch of particularly hard primers, as I bought them in bulk and haven't had issues with other bulk orders of the same.

And yeah, the stock Shadow mag release is already extended compered to the stock CZ75B SP01 release, and I find very easy to actuate.  As mentioned, the Shadow 2 type with the extra pad is probably not Prod. legal.