Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carne custom

8 minutes ago, Descartian said:

Anyone know aprox pricing on his guns? Closer to CK, Atlas or SVI?

I don't want to throw out numbers that I have gotten from Mark about a couple of his builds without his permission but pricing is closer to CK than the other 2.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, tha1000 said:

I didn’t make any judgement about the gunsmith in question. I said his guns are gorgeous.  What I said was that if I am spending custom gun money, I expect it to have a great trigger and work flawlessly without further tweaking.  I don’t care who built it.  

Your great trigger may be a junk trigger for another shooter.  If the customer doesn't accurately describe exactly what they want in a trigger, ie.  how much take up, how much overtravel, how the reset should feel, etc... and even if they do describe it perfectly, they may get what the gunsmith feels is an excellent trigger, but is still not to their taste.  I generally don't worry about what the trigger on a new gun feels like because I'm going to be making adjustments to it anyway, although I have been surprised and gotten a perfect for me trigger a couple of times.

More important to me is the reliability and accuracy of the gun and whether the 'smith is willing, able, and how quickly he can correct any issues other than trigger feel.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:30 PM, chgofirefighter said:

I've seen quite a few in person, beautiful pistols!  However, some of the shooters that love the platform have informed me that had to modify the gun a bit by having a better custom trigger job done, and some other minor things done to make them run better.  Mark, is an awesome guy.  He does make some amazing beautiful custom made pistols plus he's a local too.  I do believe he's also a GM and shoots competitively.  Personally, I don''t think you can't go wrong with Mark/Carne build you a custom platform.  However, like anything thats custom build sometimes the "few" want more than what they paid for... I guess you can' t please everyone! 

I’d like to know who this is also? I’ve never had any complaints with my trigger work.

I have a Carne Custom gun. He built the gun I asked him to build and I have been extremely happy with it.

Mark and I shot together last year and I was talking about buying a DVC limited in 40, and we talked about a custom gun. The thought of having a gun built exactly the way I wanted was far more intriguing than getting an STI. STI makes nice guns, and my current DVC limited has run great after getting it tuned, but there weren’t any other offerings available that addressed the things I don’t like about that gun.

I chatted with Mark a few times and stopped by. He took the time to listen to what I wanted, and marked up a slide to make sure he understood what I was asking for.

I was very happy with what I got back, and it exceeded my expectations. As others have mentioned, I needed some tweaks done that I couldn’t do myself, and Mark offered to do them, however my friend and gunsmith lives 3 minutes from me, whereas I’m a little over an hour from Mark, so it was easier for me to just have my buddy do the adjustments. The biggest adjustment was adjusting the length of the trigger lol, so not exactly an earth shattering adjustment.

I think this should speak for itself, but I like Carne Custom’s guns so much, I’m in the process of squirreling away funds to have him build me another one exactly the same. The build will probably kick off right after the holidays so that the gun will be ready before the warmer weather returns.

I always recommend Carne Customs to everyone. You get a well built gun, that exceeds what your expectations were for a very reasonable price.

I transferred one of the first 1911s Carne built for a good friend of mine. I will say the trigger on it was better than my wilson combat classic and on par with all of my canyon creek customs. As other people have said, a lot of people have specific desires on their triggers. I have talked to Mark several times over the past few years at matches and I am pretty confident, if he knew the type of trigger a shooter wanted he could get it tuned specifically to them. 

25 minutes ago, JHicks8h said:

I transferred one of the first 1911s Carne built for a good friend of mine. I will say the trigger on it was better than my wilson combat classic and on par with all of my canyon creek customs. As other people have said, a lot of people have specific desires on their triggers. I have talked to Mark several times over the past few years at matches and I am pretty confident, if he knew the type of trigger a shooter wanted he could get it tuned specifically to them. 

I was the one JHicks8h did the transfer for. One of the first SS's Mark ever built. A 9mm. I'm no 1911 expert but i own several custom, semi custom  and production 1911's (several Canyon Creek Custom, Ross Carter Custom, Calhoun Custom, Ford Custom, Springfield Custom TGO, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, etc). So i at least can recognize a really good 1911. And the Carne Custom i bought is on par with any of my custom and semi custom SS's with trigger and function.  As one of his first guns i was expecting to be underwhelmed. But it's outstanding. If i was looking to build a custom 2011 there is no question i'd go to Mark.

• 2 months later...

Well it seems that Carne is making lots of noise in the custom guns market.  And the noise is from shooters not commercial advertising.  The guns DO look great and I watched a video of an open gun and it looked like top end gunsmith work.  Will keep this guns in mind.

What about warranty?  any experience with that?

Warranty? Most honorable builders stand behind their work. I doubt if Mark builds you a pistol you will receive a printed warranty card with it.

But I bet if you had any issues, he would be a phone call away to make it right.   

Mark built my 9 major at the end of 2018. The process to get this started was easier than I thought it was gunna be. I sent him my wish list on parts, he built the gun. The gun has been fantastic, zero issues...and it hasn't been a safe queen. I get a lot of questions about it due to people thinking it's "more name brand". I ran it side by side with a limcat and I like my Carne better.

On 2/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, B_Seehawer said:

I own a .40 Trojan that Mark used to sweep the Open division a few years back at SS Nationals. The trigger is phenomenal on the gun as well as 100% reliable.

Lol that is hilarious 

my only national title!!!

• 3 months later...

His gunsmith skills are right there with the "elete" names.

If you know Mark , his actions speak louder than "words: or "titles" and he could give a rats ass about words. 

I challenge someone to second guess is reputation,  his product owners will shut you down.

Buy with confidence.  The Big Red machine rocks.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, JoeSoop said:

Mark’s work is top notch! I love my open gun build so much I am having him build me a twin soon. Can’t go wrong with him!

Order the second, you won't be disappointed.  I knew the first one was going to be great.  Didn't even need to look elsewhere when I ordered the second a week later.

1633159742_Carnex22.thumb.jpg.3482899c61a95b651f15c383e363104f.jpg

On 11/11/2020 at 10:39 PM, aandabooks said:

Order the second, you won't be disappointed.  I knew the first one was going to be great.  Didn't even need to look elsewhere when I ordered the second a week later.

1633159742_Carnex22.thumb.jpg.3482899c61a95b651f15c383e363104f.jpg

Fully agree! I have zero hesitation ordering the second other than waiting on some money to come in from selling one of my other open guns. It is always a bit of a cat and mouse game with the wife of "How much are you spending now?" "You just bought a gun!" LOL  Looking forward to the next one.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:22 AM, Posvar said:

These comments should ease anyones mind of the builder and end product. Plus they look like no other which is nice this day and age. 

100%. Look at the beauty he created for me earlier this year. The waffle top by hand is amazing and OMG...what a shooter. And for anyone who said the trigger job was not top notch is just wrong. Crisp, clean break, right at or just under 2lbs...P-E-R-F-E-C-T!

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

12 hours ago, JoeSoop said:

Fully agree! I have zero hesitation ordering the second other than waiting on some money to come in from selling one of my other open guns. It is always a bit of a cat and mouse game with the wife of "How much are you spending now?" "You just bought a gun!" LOL  Looking forward to the next one.

That is part of the beauty of living 2 hours from Mark.  First one I picked up at his house and the second got delivered at a match.  Just kind of came home in the range bag.

38 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

That is part of the beauty of living 2 hours from Mark.  First one I picked up at his house and the second got delivered at a match.  Just kind of came home in the range bag.

Lucky! I am over on the east coast so haven’t had the pleasure of seeing him work in person. Will have to get out there to meet him some day.

30 minutes ago, JoeSoop said:

Lucky! I am over on the east coast so haven’t had the pleasure of seeing him work in person. Will have to get out there to meet him some day.

Show up at a match here in IL and if you see a giant of a redhead, a head taller than anyone around him and has hands that look like someone is walking around with hams at the end his arms, you've now found him.  He does not hide easily in a crowd.

1 minute ago, aandabooks said:

Show up at a match here in IL and if you see a giant of a redhead, a head taller than anyone around him and has hands that look like someone is walking around with hams at the end his arms, you've now found him.  He does not hide easily in a crowd.

I know - lol! I have seen video of him next to shooters. Andre the giant. Now I get why he uses the tag line “meat” and he made my gun 65 ounces LoL 😂