Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Bill Schwab

AR-Gold PCC trigger experiences

Love the AR-Gold triggers in my "real" AR's, so I've been eyeing the new AR-Gold PCC trigger. Anyone here using one and care to share experiences?

I have one. It has some side to side play. And I'm not sure if it's the TACCOM bolt but I feel some trigger slap. Happened with the GI trigger too.

I have an AR Gold .308 trigger in my PCC and like it.

Note that the AR Gold PCC trigger is completely different...  The trigger weight is not adjustable and is set at 3.5 pounds from the factory.

I have a standard Gold (AR15) in my Frankenstein gun with Taccom innards and after about 2500 rounds I have had no problems

I have one coming soon and can let you know when I install it. Currently running a CMC PCC 3.5lb flat trigger and want to see how they stack up against each other in terms of break, reset, and overall performance.

5 hours ago, mellino19 said:

I have one coming soon and can let you know when I install it. Currently running a CMC PCC 3.5lb flat trigger and want to see how they stack up against each other in terms of break, reset, and overall performance.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it!

So my AR Gold PCC trigger came in on Monday, I just got around to installing it tonight.

Since I mentioned that I have a CMC PCC trigger I just want to start with saying it has basically ZERO take up and comes in at maybe 2lbs 10 oz.

The AR Gold PCC trigger has maybe maybe 1-2mm of take up, very small but it’s there. The trigger comes in at 2.5lbs flat.

While no take up on the CMC is nice, I feel like it’s led me to trigger freeze because I’m not finding the reset for some reason, so I’m really looking forward to seeing how the AR Gold performs at the range. Maybe the Gold is more slap friendly because of that take up and if/when I slap the CMC I’m beating the reset? I’m gonna try to get out to the range Saturday and get some rounds through it and see the difference and report back! 

Alright I got to a practice last night and ran the trigger for about 50 rounds or so.

A little foreshadowing on my setup: I'm  running 16" JP barrel with a JP bolt, Blitzkrieg 5015HD buffer, a 2.6oz weight from Blitzkrieg, a JP 308 rifle length buffer spring, and 143pf ammo. It is a short stroke setup. The bolt carrier I'm using is the main example on the AR Gold web page regarding PCC bolt compatibility.

I had failure to reset about 5 times or so - bolt would cycle, pull the trigger, nothing happens - rack it back and continue for maybe another 8-10 rounds before it would happen again. I've never had a problem with CMC and haven't changed my load OR my buffer set up.

I had two theories once I found experienced this:

1. I'm overrunning the pre-travel and not letting the trigger reset

2. The buffer/bolt aren't going back far enough to push the hammer down enough to catch for the rest.

I decided to pull out the 2.6oz weight and run our practice stage again and had zero issues. I decided that I'm going to pull out the rifle length buffer spring and install my Sprinco Orange (308 carbine length) spring and run it this weekend at the range to see if it's more reliable.

Other than the function hiccups, the trigger is very crisp and breaks like glass. Maybe I'll bring my CMC with me and do a comparison video to get up since there aren't many floating around on youtube.

Hope some of this info helps!

@mellino19 Good report...  With the 308 rifle spring...  the SS buffer weight...  and the 5015HD buffer you are sprung really hard...  I wonder if removing the buffer weight helped because you added some room for the trigger to reset or because it lightened the overall spring rate...

I've tried the Sprinco springs and like them except for the annoying 'twang' noise they make.

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

@mellino19 Good report...  With the 308 rifle spring...  the SS buffer weight...  and the 5015HD buffer you are sprung really hard...  I wonder if removing the buffer weight helped because you added some room for the trigger to reset or because it lightened the overall spring rate...

I've tried the Sprinco springs and like them except for the annoying 'twang' noise they make.

yeah it’s a lot of preload on a rifle length spring but makes a softer shooter with quick cycling. I imagine doing just a spring swap will fix this little situation since I’m lightening the overall rate as you said. I thought I read somewhere that the JP carbine is slightly more powerful than the Sprinco so I may have to get the JP as well and find what works best