Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 24 round magazine and the box ?

p7fl

Going to run a Glock 19 in an outlaw Action Steel match this weekend.

I can't do math. Would the 24 round mag fit in

The Box for Ltd Minor?

Yes, it is Outlaw, but they follow most of the USPSA book to avoid chaos.

DVC

jon

8 hours ago, tha1000 said:

It really is astounding that the engineer that designed the 24 rounder wouldn't walk over to Coley's office and ask whether a 150mm 24 rounder served any purpose at all.

😆

It would be great if Glock made 140mm 9 and .40 mags. They'd probably hold a round or 2 less than the aftermarket ones, but would actually work well. I'd buy a ton of those.

The reason Glock made the 24rd mag that length is they already had a 22rd .40 mag that same size and someone at Glock said "hey, why don't we make this size mag in 9mm too". The 22rd .40 mag length originated I believe from some military contract.

Edited by Southpaw

47 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

😆

It would be great if Glock made 140mm 9 and .40 mags. They'd probably hold a round or 2 less than the aftermarket ones, but would actually work well. I'd buy a ton of those.

The reason Glock made the 24rd mag that length is they already had a 21rd .40 mag that same size and someone at Glock said "hey, why don't we make this size mag in 9mm too". The 21rd .40 mag length originated I believe from some military contract.

Roger that.  I figured it was a "hey we need 24 rounds in a mag for this carry optics thing" sitch.

4 hours ago, Southpaw said:

😆

The reason Glock made the 24rd mag that length is they already had a 21rd .40 mag that same size and someone at Glock said "hey, why don't we make this size mag in 9mm too". The 21rd .40 mag length originated I believe from some military contract.

The weird part is the 24rd 9mm mag isn't quite the same size as the 21rd .40 either. It would have made more sense to me if it was. 

I do like the 24rd mag for a spare carry mag though; it's long enough to be easy to access but not cumbersome like a 33. 

6 hours ago, Southpaw said:

😆

Not to be too picky, but those .40 S&W factory mags hold 22 rounds, not 21......

3 hours ago, Yondering said:

The weird part is the 24rd 9mm mag isn't quite the same size as the 21rd .40 either. It would have made more sense to me if it was. 

I do like the 24rd mag for a spare carry mag though; it's long enough to be easy to access but not cumbersome like a 33. 

I have both those mags, just looked and they're the same size.  The 24rd mag is definitely a more overall manageable length than the 33rd mag, but it's still pretty darn long.  I think a 140mm length would be pretty nice if they made it.

1 hour ago, Paul49 said:

Not to be too picky, but those .40 S&W factory mags hold 22 rounds, not 21......

Dang it, that's what I get trying to go off memory on that 😊.  Good catch, I fixed my earlier post.  I haven't used or looked at that mag in a while; don't know why I even bought it 😀.

The +2 works fine for me. The very early ones from like 20 years ago had a problem with falling off when dropped, but the newer ones work fine. All the various 140mm extensions on 17 mags work for me too. They don't work on 19 mags unless you get different versions designed for them.

25 minutes ago, BASE772 said:

The  Glock 24 round mag is supposed to have the 33 round mag spring for reliability. I don’t have either so can’t confirm it. But i got the information from a very reliable source. 😁

Yes the 22 and 24 round mags use the same spring from the 33rd mag. I'm not sure if it's really for enhanced reliability or just so Glock doesn't need to stock another type of spring 😀

6 hours ago, Southpaw said:

The +2 works fine for me. The very early ones from like 20 years ago had a problem with falling off when dropped, but the newer ones work fine. All the various 140mm extensions on 17 mags work for me too. They don't work on 19 mags unless you get different versions designed for them.

Yes the 22 and 24 round mags use the same spring from the 33rd mag. I'm not sure if it's really for enhanced reliability or just so Glock doesn't need to stock another type of spring 😀

Probably the latter. The 33 round spring in a 22 or 24 round magazine makes loading the last 1-2 rounds an energetic experience.