Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

tomv

I've been using VV N320 for a long while now. I've heard goods things about sport pistol and am thinking about giving it a try.  Currently using 3.8 gr N320 with MG 115 JHP for Steel Challenge (109 PF). What's an equivalent SP load? Is SP as clean as N320?

I switched to Sports Pistol powder for my Taccom 9mm PCC with a 5.25" barrel using 124gr bullet & 3.8 grs of S.P. .. according to my chrono the PF is 129.. .. I find it meters extremely well.. and burns cleaner than a few powders I previously used..  price is very reasonable ..  

I purchased 8 pounds of Sport Pistol because of all the great things I have read on here. Honestly I think N320 is better in every category besides ”price”. It meters well, is consistent, and has low SD but not sure it is cleaner, softer recoil, or less smokey than N320, but it is ”cheaper”. 

One of the main reasons why I purchased it was from what I read it was great with coated bullets as far as not burning the coating off and thus being less smokey. Honestly I don’t see a difference in it from N320 but it is “cheaper”. 

I will use the 8 pounds but not sure I will be replacing my N320 with it. 

Just my opinion. 

Cowboy 1629,

I agree with your assesment of SP. It is not any better than N320 and it is not supposed to be. It is a half price replacement for N320. I find it does exactly what it is supposed to although in 25 yard testing it has proven to give better groups, at least in all of my guns, than the equivilent load with N320. N320 by its nature works well with coated bullets and so does SP. I would give perceived recoil to N320 but there is only a slight difference and SP is better in this department than most other powders in this catagory. SP gives higher velocity in my guns so I can't judge the recoil using the same charge, I have to back off a few tenths from the new N320 to get the same results. The only edge i give SP is in the accuracy, availability and price per pound department, the rest is a coin flip. I don't think there has ever been a powder for what we do better than N320 but SP is as close to the top as you can get for the money.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, cecil said:

I switched to Sports Pistol powder for my Taccom 9mm PCC with a 5.25" barrel using 124gr bullet & 3.8 grs of S.P. .. according to my chrono the PF is 129.. .. I find it meters extremely well.. and burns cleaner than a few powders I previously used..  price is very reasonable ..  

Hi cecil,

Mind me asking what brand 124gr bullet you are using? I just got a taccom 5", I'm scared to run anything not jacketed for cleaning purposes.

I was trying this load in my Taran Glock 34 and I'm going to stick with it!  Mild recoil, clean shooting, and SP doesn't heat up the barrel like Titegroup!

Bullets:  Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP

Powder:  Alliant Sport Pistol 4.0 grs.

Primer:  Federal 100

Case:  Winchester

OAL:  1.115

Comments:  Used 15 lb. ISMI recoil spring but 13 lb. would probably work better.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:43 AM, Cowboy1629 said:

I purchased 8 pounds of Sport Pistol because of all the great things I have read on here. Honestly I think N320 is better in every category besides ”price”. It meters well, is consistent, and has low SD but not sure it is cleaner, softer recoil, or less smokey than N320, but it is ”cheaper”. 

One of the main reasons why I purchased it was from what I read it was great with coated bullets as far as not burning the coating off and thus being less smokey. Honestly I don’t see a difference in it from N320 but it is “cheaper”. 

I will use the 8 pounds but not sure I will be replacing my N320 with it. 

Just my opinion. 

To be sure, both are good powders, but things like this are funny/interesting.  I've been using SP for a year or so and recently loaded up some equivalent rounds with N320 I had laying around.  Same projectile, primers, OAL, etc.  Needed 0.1gr more N320 for same PF.  Shooting them one after the other in both my MPX and 9mm 2011, the SP load seemed to have less recoil in both firearms *to me*.  This is why you always have to take it with a grain of salt when someone says that this or that has low recoil...how we interpret recoil is so subjective.

N320 is definitely cleaner though.  Can't say I get much smoke with either, so hard to judge on that.  SP is cheaper and meters better, though N320 meters pretty well.  Neither one is going to hold you back, that much I can say for sure.

Edited by fbzero

On 10/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, DodgeNerd said:

Hi cecil,

Mind me asking what brand 124gr bullet you are using? I just got a taccom 5", I'm scared to run anything not jacketed for cleaning purposes.

I use Everglades plated bullets.... have shot over 10,000 thus far... no build up on the shroud what so ever.. no problems with Everglades plated … I asked Tim at Taccom about plated bullets when I bought my Taccom ULW barrel he said.. I should have no problems ...

17 minutes ago, cecil said:

I use Everglades plated bullets.... have shot over 10,000 thus far... no build up on the shroud what so ever.. no problems with Everglades plated … I asked Tim at Taccom about plated bullets when I bought my Taccom ULW barrel he said.. I should have no problems ...

Thanks,

I know they mentioned leaded stuff to be careful of the shroud, but that's got to be some crazy build up for that thing to clog.