Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Lifetime Classifications vs Changing Peak Times

Hoops

Should Shooter’s Classifications be Adjusted when Peak Times Change? POLL  

20 members have voted

1. 1. The new 2020 peak times have been released. There are some significant peak time reductions. There have been plenty of discussions regarding whether or not a shooters classification should be adjusted whenever SC Mgmt makes changes to the peak times. Under the present SC system, classifications never go down, regardless of how the shooter is performing against peak times. It is lifetime. The question is Should a Shooters Classification change when peak times change?

• Yes, Shooters Classifications should change when peak times are adjusted.
    • No, a Shooters Classification should never go down once a higher class has been achieved.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/24/2019 at 07:20 AM

This poll is aimed at the Steel Challenge competitor who is interested and tracks their performance against Peak times.  Peak times for 2020 will be adjusted.  Some show significant reductions in the peak time.  This poll is informal and based on my curiosity of how competitors feel about the subject.  Your name is not tracked or show in any of the results.  Completely anonymous.  Thanks.

I want to add.  I am currently a mid-range M class in PCCO and A+ (very close to M) in RFRO.  The only difference in my two classifications is that I have shot Outer Limits in RFRO and not in PCCO.  Otherwise, all the other stages are close between these two carbines.  Both PCCO and RFRO will have 4.00 points overall reduced from Peak Time in 2020 if preliminary information is correct.  My PCCO Master classification would drop to a strong A based on actual figures.  I am relatively new to SC and the Classification system and frankly, I am on the fence whether classes should be adjusted when peak times are adjusted.  This is the main reason for the poll.  I want to see what others think about this.  Thank you for your participation.

14 hours ago, Hoops said:

This poll is aimed at the Steel Challenge competitor who is interested and tracks their performance against Peak times.

You cannot accurately track your performance against Peak Times. You can only track your performance against your own times. Whether Peak Times go up, down or stay the same has no bearing on whether my times are going up, down or staying the same.

If classifications do not change when Peak Times change, then the classification system does not accurately reflect your performance vs others. Thus it is meaningless.

With Peak Times going down so much, especially in PCC, and popularity of PCC growing, we are on the verge of seeing lots of shooters routinely outperforming higher classified shooters who got classified before the Peak Times changed.

Edited by Umbrarian

2 hours ago, Umbrarian said:

With Peak Times going down so much, especially in PCC, and popularity of PCC growing, we are on the verge of seeing lots of shooters routinely outperforming higher classified shooters who got classified before the Peak Times changed.

Why should we care about this? asking for a friend.....

3 minutes ago, Umbrarian said:

I don't care do you? I like being a sleeper.

I also don't care, and could use a nap, now that you mention it.

In general, I know which shooters in my area are likely to shoot similar times to mine. I don't really know or care what their classification is. In uspsa, the classification can be helpful in interpreting the results of a major match, but in steel I know exactly how I did based on what times I shot. Who else showed up and what their times were is not really relevant, because there's no defense in steel challenge. I'm only shooting against me, trying to produce my best performance on match day.

As requested, this poll is not for those folks who are not interested or don't care.  Some folks don't and some folks do.  We understand that.

This poll is specifically for those SC/USPSA members who track their classifications and times against peak times.  I'm hoping That a good number of folks will take the poll.  

Thank you