Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Magnetic Powder Check

On 2/5/2021 at 8:02 AM, Sigarmsp226 said:

Here is the "scoring" I did on my powder plunger head and it reduced the amount of powder spillage by 95%......

Did you couple this with any of the other ideas (raising the tip up, creating a "lid" for the brass, etc) or just do the scoring? Any theory on why scoring this treatment would splash less?

Edited by kmc

8 hours ago, kmc said:

Did you couple this with any of the other ideas (raising the tip up, creating a "lid" for the brass, etc) or just do the scoring? Any theory on why scoring this treatment would splash less?

No Sir - Did not. Just the scoring....I primarily use 231 powder when loading my 9mm minor rounds so I am not sure how this design would react when used with other powders and to date I have only used it when loading 231....Mark

• 11 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, Graye2 said:

I recently got a 750 up and running (first progressive) and installed one of these powder checks.  Everything works fine except the majority of the time the plunger is activating the switch but not retracting on the down stroke.  It just hangs up keeping the switch activated.  Anyone else have this issue?  And if so how did you fix it?

I realize I'm responding to a post from 14 months ago.  But just in case you are still having this issue or someone else comes across it.  I have a couple suggestions.

1.The magnet the die uses is very strong.  If I have my powder drop turned too close to it, the metal of the powder drop attracts the magnet and does not let it drop.

2.My basement is a bit damp and I noticed after a while the rod seemed sluggish even when the powder drop wasn't an issue.   I lubricated with graphite powder and that solved the issue.  

One other thing I noticed is that the position of the ring that sits just below the magnet can stick in the up position which can cause a false alarm, or sometimes that small chirp and flash of a light.  Lubing that with graphite fixed that.  It also did not seem perfectly concentric so sometimes rotating it and testing it's up/down motion can also help.  

I came looking for a solution to the powder spilling at speed.  I will be trying the straw trick and I also like the idea of using a washer above the plunger.  Might give that a try too!  If anyone has since tested that, please update!

1 hour ago, mpmo said:

I realize I'm responding to a post from 14 months ago.  But just in case you are still having this issue or someone else comes across it.  I have a couple suggestions.

1.The magnet the die uses is very strong.  If I have my powder drop turned too close to it, the metal of the powder drop attracts the magnet and does not let it drop.

2.My basement is a bit damp and I noticed after a while the rod seemed sluggish even when the powder drop wasn't an issue.   I lubricated with graphite powder and that solved the issue.  

One other thing I noticed is that the position of the ring that sits just below the magnet can stick in the up position which can cause a false alarm, or sometimes that small chirp and flash of a light.  Lubing that with graphite fixed that.  It also did not seem perfectly concentric so sometimes rotating it and testing it's up/down motion can also help.  

I came looking for a solution to the powder spilling at speed.  I will be trying the straw trick and I also like the idea of using a washer above the plunger.  Might give that a try too!  If anyone has since tested that, please update!

I'm the original poster and have tried every solution suggested here. If you watch my video in slow motion, you'll see the powder "splash" out of the case. I was definitely able to improve the situation with the best solution in my testing proving to be the straw. However, I could never make the splash go away entirely--it simply made the loader messy over a period of time. I finally gave up on this powder check and moved on. Today I have moved to an M7-automated 1050 and I use the M7 powder check, which is similar to the Dillon powder check in design. However, I actually believe the design is slightly more accurate than Dillon but is less flexible in that it will trigger on no case, which the Dillon will not. However, relative to this thread, neither spills the amount of powder over time that I have experienced with the DAA detector.

With 3 motorized M7 I changed the DAA magnetic powder detectors which were splashing by the Digital Powder Check Sensor, it is extremely rare that the powder splashes, I am very satisfied, the adjustment is easy and very fast.

@erwos Call DAA - they will prob send you a new one and I think the 2.0 version uses a meatal plunger and that will cut down more on Splash issue :) (I still use the straw method and have been most successful with that and further adjusting my magnet and sensitivity. Get me squib and DC alerts and very few of the interruption stroke beeps. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is a bit of a necro post, but I wanted to say thanks to @kmc and @JasonAA. I was having the same issues with my DAA powder check (it did take me a while to figure out where the powder was coming from) and I used JasonAA’s straw method to fix it. I went from cleaning up 3-5grs of powder every couple hundred rounds to almost zero powder splash at all now. Thanks guys!