Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using VV N310 for 9mm 124gr

GregInAtl

Can anyone suggest a load recipe for VV N310. I've seen some recipes for 147gr 9mm bullets but not 124gr. A friend gave me some to try. I also have some 45acp 230gr RN bullets if it would be better for that. I've heard it's a powder that you have to be careful with because it spikes quickly. Titegroup does too and I've used it successfully for 124gr

Vihtavuori doesn't list N310 loads for 124gr 9mm. That is enough for me to stay with N320.

N310 is quite good for .45 ACP with 230 gr RN.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=52

Your bullets are probably different from what they used. The one they list for 230gr is copper plated. It is a fast burning powder. Start at 3.5gr under the 230gr bullet. Chrono it. Adjust with caution.

Well you can, but it just makes no sense. To archive consistent fps and accuracy with fast powder is challenging and progressive loading is out of question. I have loaded 124 with N320 for years, but now moving to N340 for better control of accuracy and recoil.

1 hour ago, Kema said:

Well you can, but it just makes no sense. To archive consistent fps and accuracy with fast powder is challenging and progressive loading is out of question. I have loaded 124 with N320 for years, but now moving to N340 for better control of accuracy and recoil.

I had always thought fast burning powders were better for lighter loads and slower burning was better for high power loads.  Maybe I'm off base

Personally, I would use your N310 in the 45.  It is horribly temperature sensitive, at least in light loads, so be careful when you develop your load.  I originally used it for my bullseye load under a 200gr LSWC.  In August recoil was harsh.  In January it would barely operate the slide.  SDs were horrible unless you were at or above the max load in the VV reloaders guide.

A much better powder is Aliant e3.  It exhibits no spikeyness at max and has no temperature sensitivity.  It loads like Clays.  I use it for 45 and 40.  I haven't tried it yet in 9, but others swear by it for 9.  I just acquired my first 9mm that isn't an Open gun, so I'll try it in that.

1 hour ago, GregInAtl said:

I had always thought fast burning powders were better for lighter loads and slower burning was better for high power loads.  Maybe I'm off base

If some is good, more is not always better. N310 is hot enough that you’re pushing +P pressures behind a 9mm bullet. 

I knew a guy who loaded N310 behind 147s. His ammo was soft, but he was also well aware the pressures were sketchy.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

A much better powder is Aliant e3.  It exhibits no spikeyness at max and has no temperature sensitivity.  It loads like Clays.  I use it for 45 and 40.  I haven't tried it yet in 9, but others swear by it for 9.  I just acquired my first 9mm that isn't an Open gun, so I'll try it in that.

I've run E3 in 45 as well as 9mm minor.  Better for 45.  It was pretty snappy in the 9, but worked well.  Metered ok.  Advantage of the large flakes, wouldnt leak through if a primer was missed.  :)  

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If some is good, more is not always better. N310 is hot enough that you’re pushing +P pressures behind a 9mm bullet. 

I knew a guy who loaded N310 behind 147s. His ammo was soft, but he was also well aware the pressures were sketchy.

Yep, there is of limit and after that comes dimishing returns :)