Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Consciously or not we are affected by rate of fire of other shooters

BoyGlock

We Average  and lesser shooters often emulate how fast (or sometimes how slow) shooters shoot before our turn specially in matches. And we often do it w/o knowing. Often the effect is trashed stages. When we shoot after shooters that had fast splits or pace, we tend to copy it knowingly or most of the time Unknowingly. Hence error filled performance. 
My personal experience and observation of others. 

My first shoot (I'm an "old bullseye shooter"), was pretty slow, but

I hit Everything.

My 2nd shoot, I "emulated how fast"  ….   and missed a LOT.

And, I've shot with bunch of guys who can't get it through their

heads that there's a Big Difference between :

1.  Hitting every thing as fast as you can, and

2.  Shooting as fast as you can and Hoping you hit something.

And, I still do a #2 on occasion     :( 

9 hours ago, DKnoch said:

I don’t even notice what the shooter ahead of me is doing when they shoot. I’m busy rehearsing my stage plan when on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the best thing to be doing but for A lot of shooters they cannot help themselves to ignore the shooters before them. Yes their mental game is weaker then yours, It just means they need someone to explain it politely and hopefully with time they will adjust their preparation and be able to ignore whats around them.

I personally try to completely black out 2 shooters before and just run my plan in my head visualizing each position of the stage. I have noticed that even for myself If a new or lower class shooter is before me and has a really choppy cadence or bunch of misses and makeups it is harder to ignore then when a good shooter is right before myself. That said I just reset the stage in my head and "run" it again.

Visualization is Key to a smooth run, It takes Practice

Its quite normal and/or common to believe or think that one was not affected until unusual errors crop up in otherwise ordinary runs. Negative grip from draw, bungled reloads, trigger freeze, misses on close easy targets, etc.

Edited by BoyGlock

There are 2 really good open shooters I shoot with. If I shoot after them I see myself shooting way to fast as compared to if I shoot before them.

I'm really thinking about turning off my ear muffs and walking to another bay if it happens again next year.

If I shoot with legit Open shooters that audible "tempo" penetrates my brain and messes with my timing. 

Shooting with struggling/newer shooters also screws me up; sometimes they make a stage or an array look waaaaaay harder than it really is. 

I remember one classifier stage at a regional match where an A class then M class shooter shot it after lunch.  I was next up  and burned it down.  Same rate of fire for sure.  Hits...not so much. Lowest classifier in ages! OOooppps

• 3 weeks later...

Yes we are.  But I think most of us are reminded of how we shoot after the first couple of shots on a stage.  We quickly go to our own familiar cadence.  It takes a serious effort to break out of that.  I find there are enough other distractions that I'm not very influenced by the pace of the open gun or PCC guy that shot just before me.  I watch them shoot and KNOW I can't get away with that pace.  I know my lane and I stay in it.  Getting out of it is a bigger issue for me than being lulled into shooting as fast as the last guy.

• 4 weeks later...

When I shoot PCC I tend to pay attention to how fast other PCC shooters are shooting the stage especially if it’s a burner type of stage. Shooting Carry Optics I never really pay attention to how fast others have shot the stage, just focus on how I’m going to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

This emphasizes the importance of shooting at the speed of sight :) 

At the moment of shooting a match, our job is to call our shots, that's it.

The time to get fast was in dry fire. You aren't going to reliably get faster in a match.

The only thing you can reliably do in a match is shoot at your current level of skill.

So if we shoot what we can see, then we don't have to worry about what other shooters did.

A related mistake is shoot according to the cadence that you hear. That doesn't work either. Vision travels faster than hearing. So, although it's tempting and our mind loves rhythm, we shoot better if we shoot to what we see rather than what we hear.

Edited by shootmove

• 1 month later...

For me its watching how they shoot the stage not really the speed per say, I've always shot faster than i should anyways lol. its mainly when a higher class shooter shoots before me. I figure there stage plan is better because there a better shooter so that makes me question my stage plan and i end up forgeting things.

I will still try to shoot with better shooters than me anyways because in the end i learn a lot from them.

I've been getting better though to not get effected by the people shooting before me. I just concentrate pretty hard on not forgeting the harder parts of a stage and usually that blocks out the shooter before me.

You have to have the mental discipline not to pay attention.

It is that simple, If you find yourself listening or watching stop it and go back to your game plan visualization especially, if your getting 'on deck, in the hole'.

16 hours ago, pjb45 said:

You have to have the mental discipline not to pay attention.

It is that simple, If you find yourself listening or watching stop it and go back to your game plan visualization especially, if your getting 'on deck, in the hole'.

This is the truth. I don't struggle with trying to match the other shooter so much these days as I struggle with ROs who ask you how you plan on running the stage or if you are gong to run x stage plan when you are making ready. That is what tends to get in my head and I usually end up mixing up the stage plans.

I am working on excluding everything around me for at least 2 shooters before I go. It is all Mental management and learning to control what is in your Head.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...