Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip size comparison: TS, TSO, S2

jmac2112

I've been shooting a Shadow 2 for over a year now, and while I love it in most respects, I find the grip a little on the small side even with LOK palm swell bogies installed.  My hands are what I call "almost large," i.e. when I try on gloves a large is usually just a little too big, while a medium is usually too small.  Anyway, I know that the grip on the original Tactical Sport is bigger than the grip on the TSO, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they compare to the Shadow 2 grip. 

Thanks!

John

Good to know!  I'm thinking about shooting Limited, so I've been considering getting a TS or TSO.  I think I'd prefer the TSO, but I was considering the TS because of the larger grip.  Sounds like the TSO grip should be large enough for me, as long as it's even a little bit bigger than the Shadow 2.

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure the TS is actually larger, I think the wood grips that it comes with are just thicker than the TSO's thin aluminum grips. If you get the TSO you can just switch to a pair of palm swells if you feel you need them. 

My hand size is evidently the same as jmac's.  The S2 grip is the smaller of the three, but I find it comfortable.  I do not like the TSO grip.  It does not fit my hand.  It is uncomfortable.  My TS grip was too large for me, even with thin grips.  It was the front to back distance I didn't like.  So I did a grip reduction.  I sanded off the checkering, undercut the trigger guard and deepened the beavertail.   Strips of very thin grip tape on the front and back straps and LOK thin Boogies lock the gun in even with sweaty hands.  Every TSO user who tries my gun prefers the grip.post-54411-0-75004100-1449264313_thumb.jpgpost-54411-0-96826000-1449264328_thumb.jpg

19 hours ago, regor said:

I'm not sure the TS is actually larger, I think the wood grips that it comes with are just thicker than the TSO's thin aluminum grips. If you get the TSO you can just switch to a pair of palm swells if you feel you need them. 

the difference in metal  is huge🙉 .totally different grip.😉

zzt:  Can you describe how/why the TSO feels uncomfortable compared to the S2?  It's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen what the differences are between the two.  What grip panels are you using on your TSO and S2?  And thanks for the photos of the TS also!

3 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

zzt:  Can you describe how/why the TSO feels uncomfortable compared to the S2?  It's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen what the differences are between the two.  What grip panels are you using on your TSO and S2?  And thanks for the photos of the TS also!

The TSO just feels clunky and square.  There is a high spot on the backstrap where, in 1911 terms, the grip safety and the main spring housing meet.  That digs into my hand and feels uncomfortable.  My TS grip reduction is much smoother and rounder in that area.  With LOK thin Boogies I'm up high on the gun and can still release the mag without altering my grip. 

1 hour ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

I Held a stock one once and felt like a 2x4. 

That is exactly why I did the grip reduction.

OK, thanks zzt and Superkarate,etc.!  Interesting to find such opposite opinions about TSO vs. S2, though you both agree that the stock TS grip is not great. 

If I could further impose on one or both of you, can you measure the TSO grip front to back for me?  I keep feeling that I would like more "real estate" for my support hand when I'm gripping my S2, and a slight increase front-to-back would probably provide that.  

Thanks,

John

OK, thanks!  And for what it's worth, I have just discovered that LOK Grips offers a "custom thickness" option as well.   They can add thickness to each grip in increments of .010, all the way up to .080.  I played around with the Palm Swell Bogies on my Shadow 2 the other day, adding different thicknesses of gasket material under them all the way up to .090 on each side, and I loved the feel of it.  I've placed an order for some new Palm Swell Bogies with the +.080 option, and I'll report back after I try them out.

• 3 weeks later...