Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
wolffy1876

Pulling hammer back with gun in holster

Upon "Make ready" shooter pulls hammer back, engages safety, draws gun and takes sight picture...

No problem, good to go or DQ?

I guess you're talking about unloaded. But unless it's some type of gun that the hammer obscures vision of the sights, why would you even need to pull the hammer back just to get a sight picture?

And for that matter, I read this a long time ago and thought it was funny and somewhat true, "Has it been so long since you looked at your sights that you forgot what they looked like?"

That's fine as long as gun is unloaded.  See 10.5.11 which says it's a DQ only for a loaded gun to be holstered with hammer cocked and safety not applied.

Didn't know the answer to that question when I was working a level 2 match so I called in the head cheese & he verified that it is aok.  

I never cocked the hammer in my holster, but sometimes I'd cock it after

drawing to make ready - easier to rack the slide that way.    :) 

Only for unloaded. No loaded mag in mag well, nothing in cylinder and nothing in chamber then it's not a DQ

11 hours ago, egd5 said:

why would you even need to pull the hammer back just to get a sight picture?

"

Usually when done, it is so a person can get a practice draw/dryfire cold.  Least that is why I do it when i am shooting a gun that will

On 10/20/2019 at 8:18 AM, egd5 said:

And for that matter, I read this a long time ago and thought it was funny and somewhat true, "Has it been so long since you looked at your sights that you forgot what they looked like?"

I suspect there is a good reason why virtually every good shooter drops the hammer on a good sight picture before a stage. Even if I didn't understand the benefit, I would probably act like the best shooters act if I want to be one of them.

Another way to look at it is a end of runway check. Aircrew move flight controls and other fast checks just prior to take off even though they checked them on the parking spot during their pre flight. It is unlikely anything broke while taxiing out, but it doesn't take long and they could return to parking to fix anything and we could return to the safe area to fix any issues.

Hope many times you see an open shooter forget to turn their dot on? 

4 hours ago, ziebart said:

Another way to look at it is a end of runway check. Aircrew move flight controls and other fast checks just prior to take off even though they checked them on the parking spot during their pre flight. It is unlikely anything broke while taxiing out, but it doesn't take long and they could return to parking to fix anything and we could return to the safe area to fix any issues.

Hope many times you see an open shooter forget to turn their dot on? 

Or someone notices they’re missing a fiber front sight....

OP:  Not a DQ. 

As always: What rule would you DQ them under?  If you can't identify that, it's probably a clue that it's not a DQ.

1 hour ago, mreed911 said:

As always: What rule would you DQ them under?  If you can't identify that, it's probably a clue that it's not a DQ.

I agree but it may be a bad habit to get used to.   If I want the hammer back, I do it outside the holster then apply the safety followed by placing the gun in the holster..