Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most efficient Press upgrade route

PokerNGuns

Currently set up with 650 with MBF. Only reload 9mm. Main hang ups involve primer seating failure due to crimped/ringers, but it’s enough to get you out of groove and can be aggravating. Used range brass and 3 lots of cleaned (supposedly sorted) brass from 2 companies this year. Everything was either wet tumbled or ultrasonic cleaned. 

Looking at reducing time spent pulling then handle this upcoming year. However I’m unsure if the move up to a 1050/1100 resolve my issues as It looks like different opinions of Swager station and effectiveness on pocket problems. With the 650 I can feel the issue and have avoided any booms even with the federal primers I use.

With thoughts of also adding automation it seems most add processing to the routine. I really don’t want to add that extra time even if I'm not pulling the handle.

Looking for opinions from those who have been in similar circumstance and if they made the jump. Will the time savings I’m wanting be realistic or will I just be saving arm some and spending time saved on extra processing/brass cleaning methods/automation issues? 

I only load 9mm myself.  Loaded on a 650 w/o a BF for nearly 10 years.  Upgraded to a 1050 a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.  Hope to get a BF for Christmas.  I know the partial "up" stroke to seat a primer on the 650  doesn't seem like much, but once you no longer have to do it, it seems like half the work.  The other thing that is saving me a lot of time, is that I (more or less) have to leave the powder hopper full now because it's not nearly as easy to empty as the 650 was.  It worries me a little bit because my press is in the garage.  But I'll get over it.

I loaded on 650 for several years. As my round count went up I finally made the jump to 1050 and then got an ammobot. Holy crap. I couldn’t be happier. It absolutely cranks out ammo and my time spent in the loading room has dramatically dropped. Best investment I’ve made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1050 had a steep learning curve for me and the swadge rod isn't fool proof. Maybe it's because I loaded for years on a 650, but the 1050 seems more complex that it needs to be and the extra stations don't really seem to help all that much.

I solved that problem by buying fully processed once-fired brass from Ammobrass.  All stepped and crushed cases are removed.  They are then resizes, primer pocket swaged, roll sized, cleaned in SS media, dried and a light coating of wax is applied.  I buy them in lots of 6000 and they cost under 4 cents each including shipping.  40 S&W is even less.  I have had zero failures of any type in the last 8000.  It really saves your arm, because the hardest station is decapping/resizing.  BTW, 100% of the finished rounds drop into and out of the Shockbottle gauge.

I won't go any other way now, except for 45 ACP.  I have a lifetime supply of once-fired, same head stamp brass for bullseye.

22 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Currently set up with 650 with MBF. Only reload 9mm. Main hang ups involve primer seating failure due to crimped/ringers, but it’s enough to get you out of groove and can be aggravating. Used range brass and 3 lots of cleaned (supposedly sorted) brass from 2 companies this year. Everything was either wet tumbled or ultrasonic cleaned. 

Looking at reducing time spent pulling then handle this upcoming year. However I’m unsure if the move up to a 1050/1100 resolve my issues as It looks like different opinions of Swager station and effectiveness on pocket problems. With the 650 I can feel the issue and have avoided any booms even with the federal primers I use.

With thoughts of also adding automation it seems most add processing to the routine. I really don’t want to add that extra time even if I'm not pulling the handle.

Looking for opinions from those who have been in similar circumstance and if they made the jump. Will the time savings I’m wanting be realistic or will I just be saving arm some and spending time saved on extra processing/brass cleaning methods/automation issues? 

I was in your same place a few years ago. I switched to a 1050. Takes a little longer to get everything perfect setting up but it works way better. Only brass it doesn’t like are mil brass, the WCC. And even then it’s will load a primer perfectly in them 50% of the time. 

I wet tumble, dry then sort. I only remove mil brass, stepped or weird headstamps. Get a neck expander die and put above swage. Powder funnel is only used to drop powder not flare now. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Does that eliminate the need for lubing the cases ?

Yes.  However, some don't seem to get enough and they stick a little in the neck expander.  Not a big deal.  When I was buying them from another source that did not apply wax I had to put them in my vibratory cleaner and run them for 30 minutes.

Appreciate responses...I’ve got little one #2 on way going into next year so I know I need to find time to reduce reloading to allow for same practice level. I can’t see leaving my brass behind at range but I may supplement with those already swaged processed you

mentioned above.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, PokerNGuns said:

Currently set up with 650 with MBF. Only reload 9mm. Main hang ups involve primer seating failure due to crimped/ringers, but it’s enough to get you out of groove and can be aggravating. 

The exact reason I sold my 650 and purchased a 1050. While the swager is not perfect it has made reloading 9mm a whole lot faster and more consistent. 

You could auto the 650, but the primer issues will become even a bigger problem because you won’t be able to “feel” the pressure and even the Mark 7 system will just crush the primer until it causes a jam or a kaboom. How do I know? Experienced it.

If money is an issue, my recommendation is to sort out the military/crimped brass before reloading, yes it’s a time eating pain. 

I'm in about the same place.  I'd love to reduce the time I have to stand in front of the press.  Having trouble deciding between the 1050 or 1100 with an ammobot, or just going with the Revolution. 

22 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Appreciate responses...I’ve got little one #2 on way going into next year so I know I need to find time to reduce reloading to allow for same practice level. I can’t see leaving my brass behind at range but I may supplement with those already swaged processed you

mentioned above.

Im in the exact same place April is #2. I thought #1 would be the end of my time reloading. but she napped  giving me time on the weekends plus she goes to bed at 8 and my wife hates watching tv so I have time then too. #2 im thinking will go the same way, it seems like the end but there will be time.

I want a 1050/1100 just because I want it. I have been churning out ammo on the 650 with case/bullet feeders way faster than I can shoot it. I have 2 50cal ammo boxes filled with loose ammo in 223,9,45,308. Im at the point were I have to start shooting more just so I can load more. But I would still like an 1100. and Autodrive would be cool but Id have to start shooting more. or loading for friends.

I'm in about the same place.  I'd love to reduce the time I have to stand in front of the press.  Having trouble deciding between the 1050 or 1100 with an ammobot, or just going with the Revolution. 

I can’t speak to the mark7 as i don’t own them. I know several people to do and some love them, I’ve also heard complaints. What I do know about is the ammobot / 1050 setup. I got my 1050 and loaded a couple thousand on it manually then upgraded with the AB. It does everything I wanted. When loading I do have to stand there with the stop switch in hand in case of the occasional hiccup. But mostly it runs smooth at about 1800-2000 rpm. At a cost that was dramatically cheaper than mark7 options I am ok with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, XDoctor said:

Comes down to Time and Money.  If you have the money but not the time then get a Revo.

If your budget won’t allow it then get a 1050 with Mark 7 Pro. They just dropped their autodrive prices to $1999 permanently.