Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead in JP ULW 5.5” barrel

Anyone getting lead in the shroud around the port area? I’ve tried 125 and 115 SNS, and 125 Blue Bullets.

Unfortunately I didn’t check the shroud after shooting each type of bullet so I’m not 100% sure which bullet is causing the leading.

Lead is a real bitch to get out of the shroud right outside the barrel.

Anyone had any luck with a particular brand and weigh coated lead bullet?

Or even .356 vs .357?

Any quick way to get the lead blob out of the shroud besides scraping it with a pick?

Let me know what you think.

The simple answer is do not use poly coasted bullets in barrels with an aluminum shroud.

However....if you must, get yourself a 15" piece of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe, cut some teeth on one end and work it down the shroud,, twisting it back and forth. you will cut the lead out and not damage the crown. I know for a fact that this works with the TACCOM ULW barrels as the pipe just fits down the ID of the tube, I do not know if this will work for the JP barrel as I do not know the internal dimensions. Once you get it clean, you will want to do this every time you clean your barrel.

Cast bullets and poly bullets are known to spit lead just as the bullet leaves the end of the barrel.....the hot gases flame cut the edge and you have molten lead that will deposit inside the shroud. This of course, does not happen with FMJ bullets that come around the back edge of the bullet.

Edited by TRUBL
On 10/19/2019 at 6:32 AM, 1sickPuppy said:

Anyone getting lead in the shroud around the port area? I’ve tried 125 and 115 SNS, and 125 Blue Bullets.

Unfortunately I didn’t check the shroud after shooting each type of bullet so I’m not 100% sure which bullet is causing the leading.

Lead is a real bitch to get out of the shroud right outside the barrel.

Anyone had any luck with a particular brand and weigh coated lead bullet?

Or even .356 vs .357?

Any quick way to get the lead blob out of the shroud besides scraping it with a pick?

Let me know what you think.

Blue bullets have never given me any issues.  I also use a wd-40 when I clean the shroud of mine and leave a nice coat of it in there... makes it easier each time i do it.  i use a drill and a brass shotgun barrel cleaner... hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...