Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack gun?

Woodsparrow

Looking through my list of junk, I've got a gun for almost any division except single stack. I've also been looking for any excuse to buy a new gun, so I thought I'd settle on SS division as a 'fill in a need' even if I doubt I'll ever get around to shooting SS.

So what should I grab (I'll fill out the tons of mags, pouches, and non-race holster later)?

I could spend 1000$ and be quite happy. I could spend 1500 or 2000 and be a little cranky, but probably manage.

I'm just assuming I should go with .45 AARP since, well, single stack. No reason to mess with .40 SW. Normally I'm a 9 fan, but unless I misread the rules, that's a no? I'm not overly worried about major/minor PF scoring since I figure I'll suck either way.

I see Dawson has a Staccato C for around 1500, but I'm assuming it's out of the category for too short a barrel (listed as 3.9 inches).

Edit: Sorry, forgot: I'd like to avoid buying a cheap pistol and dropping 2k in smithing fees. I'm not against turning a screwdriver to swap out drop in components, but I don't want to tune or pay for tune, including driving in new sights right now.

Edited by Woodsparrow

Single Stack the rules are the same except for
Major, 8rnds in mag

Minor, 10 roudns in mag

That being said:

Gucci: Infinity

Louis V: Atlas

Mens Warehouse: STI Trojan

Macys: Dan Wesson Pointman (9 or 45, pick your poison)

Kohls Clearance Rack: Springfeild RO

Edit:
Probably looking at, screwing with the leaf spring to adjust the trigger, Adding a magwell, and buying extra mags

Edited by Dutchman195

With other divisions people say it's worth shooting 40 for major. Is the 45/9 difference worth considering in single stack?

Doesn't look like Atlas is making single stacks any more. None in the buy now or order now group, and the custom section only lists open/limited.

Heck, I don't think the Trojan is made anymore either, is it?

With other divisions people say it's worth shooting 40 for major. Is the 45/9 difference worth considering in single stack?

Doesn't look like Atlas is making single stacks any more. None in the buy now or order now group, and the custom section only lists open/limited.

40 has a lot if utility in single stack because you can shoot major or minor depending on the match. It is a bit more of a pain to get running but that' usually with factory ammo since it's shorter. I load 1.200 or longer to place bullet very close to feed ramp so there's not any nose diving of bullets.

If you load 45 or 9mm already it's totally fine to go with those too. SS in general has very little participation but is a fun division. For the budget and parameters you laid out, I'd go with a 9mm minor single stack gun since you can load 10 rounds. Springfield RO guns, Sig max Michel, 9mm sti trojan Dan Wesson PM9 are among some of the better entry level SS guns

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Woodsparrow said:

Depends what the gun is going to be for AND in comparison to what you already own. I shoot Limited in 40, loading 40 long to 1.2 OAL. My SS guns are set up to take the exact same load as the limited gun. 

a 9mm SS gun can be shot in USPSA SS & IDPA ESP

a 45 SS Gun can be USPSA & IDPA CDP

a 40 SS gun, you can have 10 round mags that fit the box, so you show up to your major match and walk stages, realize that a 10rnd gun is an advantage over a 8rnd gun, so you can declare minor and have a advantage. 

I think minor is stupid so I dont have any 9mm SS guns. 

EDIT: But, you shoot the same plan as a Prod guy. SS is a low head count division. So you wanna squad with a Prod GM/M and copy their plan, go ahead. Your SS 9mm minor gun is basically production with a magwell and better trigger. 

Atlas SS guns are rare. 
STI Trojans can be found in the wild used for sale. 

Factory new that is still in production, Springfield or DW

Edited by Dutchman195

Gun Broker recently had a couple 40SW 1911 Max Michel models for under $900 the 9 and 45 versions are $1400 so its pretty tempting. 

that said the 9 and 45 versions are a pretty good deal, pretty much tune sear spring and go to town from what I have read.

1 minute ago, MikeBurgess said:

Gun Broker recently had a couple 40SW 1911 Max Michel models for under $900 the 9 and 45 versions are $1400 so its pretty tempting. 

that said the 9 and 45 versions are a pretty good deal, pretty much tune sear spring and go to town from what I have read.

Are those the guns that have a beefy slide that doesnt fit in most regular holsters? Or am I thinking of something else

Just now, Dutchman195 said:

Are those the guns that have a beefy slide that doesnt fit in most regular holsters? Or am I thinking of something else

Probably I Know the regular sig slides are odd shaped not sure about the Max though, it looks like the front of the slide milled above the rails to lighten it so holsters may not be run of the mill. But holsters are pretty cheep.

also I just looked one in 40 is listed for 799.98 

7 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

also I just looked one in 40 is listed for 799.98 

Thats the best option:

Buy That for 800.

Take to someone and put in ambi safeties, Techwell grips and magwell, SVI trigger parts and blend, undercut the frame.

You'll be right around 1400. 

Also if your going to shoot 40 long like in a limited gun, you have to buy 10mm mags, the 40 specific mags have a spacer and wont work. 

3 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Thats the best option:

Buy That for 800.

Take to someone and put in ambi safeties, Techwell grips and magwell, SVI trigger parts and blend, undercut the frame.

You'll be right around 1400. 

Also if your going to shoot 40 long like in a limited gun, you have to buy 10mm mags, the 40 specific mags have a spacer and wont work. 

I'd really like to avoid smithing, honestly. I haven't had great luck with it locally, and I'm still cranky. I'd prefer to just buy-and-go.

18 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

What about when compared to something like a Dan Wesson for 1500-1600?

Woodsparrow, do you reload? If no then get a 9mm. As some people had suggested earlier, buy the Trojan that's a smoking deal in the classifieds and comes with all the accessories and just start shooting.

Your questions are all over the place this week. Maybe open one thread on "Which division should I shoot?" and start there.  What division(s) do you currently shoot?

I personally shoot 40 or 9mm in single stack, but I also primarily shoot Production. I didn't want to source and stock LPP or tool up to start reloading 45 which drove my decision.

7 minutes ago, belus said:

Woodsparrow, do you reload? If no then get a 9mm. As some people had suggested earlier, buy the Trojan that's a smoking deal in the classifieds and comes with all the accessories and just start shooting.

Your questions are all over the place this week. Maybe open one thread on "Which division should I shoot?" and start there.  What division(s) do you currently shoot?

I personally shoot 40 or 9mm in single stack, but I also primarily shoot Production. I didn't want to source and stock LPP or tool up to start reloading 45 which drove my decision.

Absolutely, my questions are all over the page - I sat down and figured out that I have great guns for literally every division, so buying any type of gun would be pointless, other than SS or Revolver :)  So I settled on a SS just if I want to buy something.

I do not reload. I considered it, but probably don't have the time or space to get into it right now (and gunpowder + a 5 year old is a bad plan).

13 minutes ago, belus said:

Went through and checked, did you mean this post? It's closed, unfortunately!

4 minutes ago, Woodsparrow said:

Went through and checked, did you mean this post? It's closed, unfortunately!

I was thinking this one where the previous owner went the extra step to tri-top the slide.

You'd want an extra two magazines and mag pouches for USPSA but it's otherwise ready to run. It's perfect for IDPA ESP as is.

Window shopping for the perfect gun can be fun but it doesn't change your scores. It's also important to get some regular match time under your belt before you drop a lot of money on gear. Don't outsource your preferences to other people's opinions; experiment yourself and see if changes actually have an impact on your own performance.

6 minutes ago, belus said:

I was thinking this one where the previous owner went the extra step to tri-top the slide.

Oh man, I ignored that one because it was from May!

6 minutes ago, belus said:

Window shopping for the perfect gun can be fun but it doesn't change your scores.

I like shopping and tinkering. I can do it while killing time at work. I am under no misunderstandings that a 20,000$ gun will somehow make me a better shooter than a 300$ gun. I just like messing with them.

I also don't have as much time to practice as I'd like sadly. We just moved, and getting to a range has proven very hard.

38 minutes ago, belus said:

You'd want an extra two magazines and mag pouches for USPSA but it's otherwise ready to run. It's perfect for IDPA ESP as is.

Window shopping for the perfect gun can be fun but it doesn't change your scores. It's also important to get some regular match time under your belt before you drop a lot of money on gear. Don't outsource your preferences to other people's opinions; experiment yourself and see if changes actually have an impact on your own performance.

It was tri-topped from STI. I never ran it in Single Stack because I lost one of my mags. I was shooting Limited with my STI Edge at the time. Now I’m punishing myself in Revolver.

1 hour ago, Woodsparrow said:

I do not reload. I considered it, but probably don't have the time or space to get into it right now

You just answered your question.  You like 9mm, so buy a Dan Wesson PM9.  They are currently running $1375 to $1400+ depending on who is selling them.  Then experiment with 10 round mags to see what works.

Second choice would be a 1911 in 40 S&W or 45 ACP.  You can buy remanufacrured minor and major 40 quite reasonably.  Tripp makes 10 round mags that work.

I love 45 ACP.  Store bought ammo will be more expensive than 9mm, but you get to shoot major.  This is what I'd buy if I didn't reload.  https://www.laxammo.com/lax-factory-new/handgun-new/45-acp-new/lax-ammunition-factory-new-45-auto-185-gr-flat-point-detail

As far as pistols go, and of the Springfield Armoury pistols are nice for the money.  You get forged slides and frames and a match barrel.  They do use MIM internals, but they are good ones.  The DW Pointman 45 is always a good choice.  For the extra money your get really good internals.

2 hours ago, Woodsparrow said:

What about when compared to something like a Dan Wesson for 1500-1600?

I have not got to play with a sig Max myself, but I believe they are a decent deal even at the $1400 level, they have a checkered front strap come with a Dawson Ice magwell and have a Konig hammer and EGW sear and Firing pin, so internally they have the same top of the line parts many custom smiths would use. I have not read anything reviews saying they are poorly fit

That said the DW point man is a nice gun.

40 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

That said the DW point man is a nice gun.

And it fits in a regular holster, unlike the Max.  Maxes are all Series 80 and need trigger work (not hard to do).  PMs are all Series 70, so for the same money I'd go PM9 or 45.

Imho, unless you shoot limited and already have a bunch of it laying around, 40 doesn't make a lot of sense for single stack. 40 gives you a capacity advantage in limited, not in single stack.

I already loaded 45 for my revolver so getting a 45 was a no brainier. If I didn't reload, I'd shoot 9.

Single stack is the one division where major and minor compete on a fairly even playing field. 2 extra rounds isn't a joke in an 8 round position with steel. I think the benefits of the extra ammo are even greater the further you are from making GM.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk