Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SRH 454 and a Bowen extended pin

Makicjf

I've got a target gray 454 chopped down to 4.5 inches and polished internals.  The tank actually pack well with a good belt and a Simply Rugged holster for a 454 Toklat, though I am thinking about a Mernickle  which has stouter leather.  I need to shim the trigger and hammer, but it is pretty smooth.  However the unfluted cylinder and the factory springs make it pretty heavy in DA.  I'm tempted to lighten the springs (most of the rounds through it are Tier I 45 colt, 255 at 850 fps, Federal LP primers)  but don't want to cause light strikes on the occasional 454 with small rifle primers.  Does anyone know if the Bowen Redhawk extended pin will fit the SRH 454?  The rumor is it fits the Super GP 100, so I'm hopeful.

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

Bowen's website says Ruger Double Action.  It doesn't specify model, just that older Redhawks have a pinned bushing and newer ones don't.

They also sell a tool for the screw in type.  I'll know more about it in a couple of weeks after I order one for the Super GP and my Redhawk.

Meanwhile: 

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=49

11 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

It fits, I have one in my .45 Redhawk.  The GP and SRH series take the same pins.

Thanks.  Mine has the press fit pin without the spinny bushing.  How hard is it to change?  If it's awful, I may just change springs and try. If it won't light small rifle primers, I could simply change springs to shoot 454: is changing a press fit pin a pain?

Jason

Funny you should ask.  I'm installing my first press fit pin right now.  Getting it out was no trouble, had to pause in the middle of the job so will be installing the new one soon.  Doesn't seem very hard, only tricky part seems to be aligning the recoil shield plug correctly for the cross pin.  Will update when I get some time to finish up.  I have multiple guns fully stripped right now in various stages of a project.  The GP100 is just a frame with barrel at the moment.  Planning to shoot Classic quite a bit in 2020.

17 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

Funny you should ask.  I'm installing my first press fit pin right now.  Getting it out was no trouble, had to pause in the middle of the job so will be installing the new one soon.  Doesn't seem very hard, only tricky part seems to be aligning the recoil shield plug correctly for the cross pin.  Will update when I get some time to finish up.  I have multiple guns fully stripped right now in various stages of a project.  The GP100 is just a frame with barrel at the moment.  Planning to shoot Classic quite a bit in 2020.

Thanks!

The closest ICORE is 3 hours away, but following Nationals, I'm seriously contemplating shooting my 625 and 610 in USPSA major for a while.  I'll still shoot SC with the eight shot. I guess I'm just a masochist!  

Jason 

Edited by Makicjf