Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post your workout

Dontkillbill

I was drawing up my workout plan today at break. 

I have a weekend match so today would have been a day off but since Saturday is a travel day and Sunday is match day I will rest this weekend.  

My focus today is getting a second deadlift workout in this week, I just started dead lifts and will focus on form with a fairly light weight 135, 185, 205 and maybe 225.   

Warm up

10 minute light exercise bike  get the heart rate to 120.  

3 minutes concept 2 rower

Kettle bell swing 2 x 10-12

Deadlifts 1x5 1x3 1x2 1x1 1x1

Rest 5 minutes 

Skipping  1x 90s

Sitting Tucks 1x60

3 minutes bag work

Elbows to floor bag 15 right and left.   See the 5.11 video on working out its the "rotational" exercise. 

Pick up and flip the floor dummy

Repeat one more set

I will get one minute of plank in there.

Tread mill 10 minutes 2 minute warm up and 1 minute run, 2 minute rest 1 minute run 2 minutes rest, 30 seconds back ward running and then warm down.  

I mix in and substitute exercises such as  push ups, situps, box jumps and kicking the heavy bags and few others as I can't do them all and function post workout .  

Love to see what others are doing!

Edited by Dontkillbill

I try to keep to a Push Pull split 2-3 times a  week and get some walking in whenever I can. I do find doing some EMOM(every minute on the minute) work when I pressed for a workout Is worth its sweat in time. Key thing I found Is Doing something

I tried the agility ladder last night and it should help for next IPSC  season.   I hope between dry firing and working on foot work a bit I can take my game up a notch.   The ladder is surprisingly a good leg workout I feel it while I sit here and type.    I did some drills one of the guys at the gym knows and I hope to build on that and do more drills once I feel less spazzy.   The other new exercise I have been doing is great.  Elbowing a MMA floor dumby bag has been really good working the back and the side abs... And oh does it help with frustration.  I try and pick it up and put it over my shoulder twice and that's hard!     Trying to break 240 for the first time in a decade with 215 the goal for the start of next season.    Going to make a barricade wall set up a stage in the back yard.   I live on a rural road so I might even get an airsoft gun.     What do you guys do for footwork?    Oh I try and skip once a week.  I would do more but I cut back as my body was not recovering from everything I was trying to do.  Maybe in 5 more pounds I can up my skipping.      

Not really a shooting thing but I bought a fitness tracker mostly for the sleep monitor on Wednesday.   Cool little item with a bunch of stats Garmin Vivosmart 4.  Measures heart rate O2 absorption, sleep patterns and your "recovery".  A bunch of other stuff.  Today it says I can give'R at the gym.    Skipping , box jumps with some rowing and tread mill.  Light work on shoulders, back and chest with 4 rounds of heavy bag and four round.  I am down 4.5 pounds in the last 4 weeks and I know that's pretty good but I need a 2 pound week so more veggies and less other stuff .  That included some overnighters for shooting matches so I am happy I did not loose momentum on the road.      Hoping to try CrossFit in November. 

4 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Samsung Health on their phones has a fairly comprehensive program,  similar to a lot of the above.

Its pretty amazing what you can do with a phone and a watch these days.   I remember when Walkman's first came out now I can leave my phone in my locker and play music wireless and track a ton of stats.   Only thing is that I only have like 3 songs that were released after 2000. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough to pick up some home gym equipment before COVID made all of the prices skyrocket. I've been doing something of a traditional split using dumbbells, a bench, and an exercise bike:

• All days - Mobility exercises (5-10 min), Cardio warmup (bike or heavy bag, 5-10 min)
  • Monday - Legs + bike for half an hour
  • Tuesday - Back and biceps + bike for half an hour
  • Wednesday - Chest and triceps + bike for half an hour
  • Thursday - Shoulders and delts + bike for half an hour
  • Friday - Cardio (typically bike for an hour)
  • Saturday - Pickup work (typically biceps, triceps, shoulders and delts) and cardio for an hour

Core has a dedicated exercise on each day as well as being incorporated into compound movements.

I've seen some results with this plan over the last few months but I've been looking into changing things up lately. I've been doing a lot of reading on push/pull routines and trying to figure out if I can make one work using what I have at home (with the addition of resistance bands and anchors). I'm also leaning toward dropping a set from every exercise (typically doing 4x12) and going to failure with heavier weight. It's always nerve-wracking to change things since I don't want to lose any progress but I guess I can always change it back.

My workouts aren't super structured.  I do something every day.  The trick for me is to simply get up early and go to the gym.  When the gyms were closed, I depended on my home chin-up bar and a few pairs of dumbbells.  I couldn't do all the exercises below due to lack of equipment, but I could do a lot.

I pick from this menu:

• Situps or ab machine
  • Squats
  • Leg extensions
  • Leg curls
  • Calf raises
  • Pull-ups and chin-ups
  • Seated rows
  • Upright rows
  • Shrugs
  • Pushups or bench press
  • Overhead press
  • Side raises
  • Tricep extensions
  • Bicep curls
  • Wrist curls
  • Grippers

I'm 61 and lost 33 lbs over the last six months, not because of these exercises -- which I've done most of my life since age 17 -- but because of the foods I avoid.  You can get full on foods that make you gain, or full on foods that let you get to a weight you want.  Simple choices to make, really.

I'm quicker, more agile, and everything takes a lot less effort.  Used to be physically tired after a match, not much at all now.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 2 years later...

Since shooting is largely an upper body activity that responds to strength, I do the following:

1:  Chinups (upper body pull)

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-chin-up-project/

2:  Single bar dips (upper body push)

https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-do-straight-bar-dips/

3:  "Captains of Crush" hand strength grippers

https://ironmind.com/product-info/ironmind-grippers/captains-of-crush-grippers/

• 1 month later...

I've completed the 75 Hard program and I'm now working through the phases. Currently in phase 2. Basically two 45 minute workouts a day, a diet, and a gallon of water with no days off for 30 day cycles. Last time I weighed in I was 6' 184lb and 9% body fat in a Bodpod. I've put a little back on between phase 1 and 2 but I expect to be 180 and under 10% by spring. 

• 3 months later...

Last summer I consolidated all of my exercise equipment on my balcony.  It consists of a squat rack, seated calf machine, pull-up bar, dip stand, barbells and dumbbells.  I also have a collection of hand strengthening gizmos including hand expander bands.

On hand strength:  while a world class strongman level grip is not necessary for good shooting, most of us would agree that hand strength is an asset to a shooter.  So like many of you, I work on mine.  I do not have Hulk level hand strength and notice when I shake hands that some shooters who are older and smaller than I am have iron hands that I’d trade mine for.

Squats and calf raises are very beneficial for me because standing, walking, bending over, and stage movement are easier.  Being “springy” is nice and is appreciated more and more with age.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Now 64 and still working out.  The weight has stayed off.  Super thankful for good health.

Glad to hear it. I’m 4 years behind you in age, but many more in fitness habits. 
I'm just starting to get a handle on this whole fitness/nutrition thing.  I hope I’m able to stick with it. I figure when I eventually retire and have more time to shoot, I want to still be able to do it. 

I work out three days a week. 

Day one

1 - Bench 60lbs (chest)

2 - Squats 80lbs (all legs)

3 - Lying triceps extensions 40lbs

4 - Abdominal 130lbs seat 5 (abs front)

5 - Arms front raise 10lbd (shoulders & arms)

6 - Arms lateral raise 10lbs (shoulders & 

arms)

Day two

1 - Biceps curls 40lbs (move from the elbows only relax shoulders) (use dumbbells)

2 - Leg curle 75lbs (gluts/butt & hamstrings)

3 - Back extensions 25lbs (lower back) 

4 - Dip (forwards) 25lbs (chest & triceps)

5 - Rear deltoid 85lbs (shoulders rear & up back) don’t go to far back with arms!

6 - Torso rotation 145lbs (abs side)

squeeze butt, bend at back not at hips!

Day three

1 - Incline bench press 50lbs 30-45* (chest up)

2 - Calf extensions 130lbs toes seat 4 (low leg)

3 - Chin up 40lbs (lats back & triceps)

4 - Row 100lbs seat 3 and 3 (biceps & back side lats)

5 - Ab, leg lifts

I do wrist and hand exercises as well but not during shooting season. 

I only started working out because of shooting. And I try to take it easy with my hands because I’m a mechanic. I’ll ride bike and hit the treadmill as well but I’m pretty active as is so it’s not priority. 

39, 5”11 and 170lbs. 

Started eating better a few years ago because terrible food seemed to be making me feel sluggish and lazy. 

Exercising is hard to start but the after feeling is always great. I’m no expert these are just exercises I picked. Figured the upper body was as important for gun handling the lower, core and back were important for movement and stability. 

Edited by Twilk73

On 8/28/2023 at 9:39 AM, Cuz said:

Glad to hear it. I’m 4 years behind you in age, but many more in fitness habits. 
I'm just starting to get a handle on this whole fitness/nutrition thing.  I hope I’m able to stick with it. I figure when I eventually retire and have more time to shoot, I want to still be able to do it. 

It’s all worth it.  You’ll thank yourself for doing it.