Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 descendants?

Woodsparrow

I was talking with my friend last night. He's a collector who only has a few guns he actually shoots regularly. His schtick is milsurp and US history. 

I was thinking about giving my roving pointless eye something to collect.  What pistols would you guys generally consider as descended from the 1911?  The first branch I thought of was 1911 - HP - CZ. Not sure if there's more. Some people have indicated the Sig 22X lineup would fit here since it's based on the BDA.

Depends on how wide a net you want to cast.

In the broadest sense, almost all of them.  The most common locking system is the tilting barrel first produced in quantity as the 1911. 

Current production finds only the Beretta (Walther) locking block, a few rotating barrel pistols and a very few gas piston guns unrelated to the Colt/Browning design.

Do you require the barrel be tilted by a link, not a cam?  That pares the list way down to Tokarev, Star, and Wilson mutants that I can think of offhand. 

Must you have a straight line trigger like Tokarev,  Wilson, Radom, or a couple of Smiths?

Edited by Jim Watson

3 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Depends on how wide a net you want to cast.

In the broadest sense, almost all of them.  The most common locking system is the tilting barrel first produced in quantity as the 1911. 

Current production finds only the Beretta (Walther) locking block, a few rotating barrel pistols and a very few gas piston guns unrelated to the Colt/Browning design.

Do you require the barrel be tilted by a link, not a cam?  That pares the list way down to Tokarev, Star, and Wilson mutants that I can think of offhand. 

To be honest, I don't know. It was a passing thought, and it looks like it wasn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be. I'll probably file this one in the 'eh, no' bin.

I don't think you'll have much luck with suggestions on this site. Try The High Road for example. These questions are right up their alley.

This is mostly a competition based forum and the perspectives and opinions you encounter will reflect that. Not to scare you off or make you feel unwelcome, but if "practical shooting competition" is not your interest, then you might find replies and commentary less than helpful.

The HP isn't much discussed here because it hasn't been competitive since the '80s (?, sorry Jack) and doesn't hold up very well against the high volume of shooting people expect in the sport. Its a gorgeous simple design in its own right. The CZ and 1911 are rarely compared because they don't compete against each other outside of maybe IDPA's ESP division.

Finally to your question, I don't know what the 1911, HP, and CZ would possibly have in common aside from there being multiple barrel locking lugs tilting from recesses in the top of the slide. They all have different barrel link/cam designs and hugely different unrelated trigger mechanisms. Maybe people just assume there's a relation because of the ball cut recesses in the front of the slide? It sounds more like a list of should-buy guns from 1980's enthusiasts with a bias against plastic.

If you want a comparison of Wonder Nines check out this section: https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/211-quototherquot-amp-pistol-comparisons/