Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RL1100 update from Dillon today

I spoke with Peter at Dillon Precision (super professional and nice) and he shared with me two updates related to the Dillon RL1100 press...

1 - They have a RL1100 set up in the Engineering area at Dillon and he said at his last check that unit had completed slightly over 1,900,000 cycles with no breakages or stops with the exception of one spring that occurred post 1 million cycles.  He said they plan on continuing to run the machine until they have a major breakage. 

2 - As I placed my pre-order for my RL1100 in 9mm he told me for that specific caliber I was number 34 on the pre-order list and he did not know the total number of RL1100 pre-orders for all calibers combined...when I asked when he anticipated the release of the RL1100 and he said right now they are shooting for sometime in December......

Thought I would share this update I received from Dillon on 10/15/19.....Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

If it will do1.9M cycles without a breakage (notice they don't say stoppage) It beats hell out of my 1050. The primer slide on my machine screws up at random intervals measured in thousands. This in spite of completely new parts twice in the last year. I hope the 1100 primer system works on older machines if it works this well.

Edited by Brooke

12 minutes ago, Kema said:

But what is the round count before maintenance? Still around 20k?

Kema - Great question that I neglected to ask. I also wonder how often they stop the system to lube critical parts/areas....My fault for not asking more question. I have Peter’s direct extension so I may call him back in the coming days to ask a few more questions.....If I do Iwill post that information in this thread...Mark

I assume loading because Ammobot posted a picture of the CPL2000 at the DIllon factory running an ammobot having processed over 1.5 million cases and that was beginning of October. Would be silly if they weren't making rounds on the RL1100 to test it in the same manner considering thats what it will be used for. Im tracking this post as I am really anxious to get one of these and automate it.

I called last week to get on the list and was told November. I called this week thinking I’d just go ahead and get the 1050 as I want to automate also this off-season and it was recommended to me to just wait for the 1100 and I was given December time frame.  

On 10/18/2019 at 8:22 PM, PokerNGuns said:

I called last week to get on the list and was told November. I called this week thinking I’d just go ahead and get the 1050 as I want to automate also this off-season and it was recommended to me to just wait for the 1100 and I was given December time frame.  

plenty for sale on the internet get in there and grab one.

So this comment came up when I was talking to Dillon last week. The Dillon gentleman told me that one of the key features that the 1100 will have is a priming system that is almost identical to the old RL1050 not the current Super 1050.  He said that the RL 1050 priming system was less problematic than the Super 1050 and that is why they are reverting back to this type of priming system. He went on to say that once you get everything dialed in on the Super 1050 the primer issues are significantly reduced.

I do not have or have ever loaded on a RL 1050 or a Super 1050 so I cannot comment on this one way or another....If anyone here has experience with both can you please chime in with your comments and feedback as to what the gentleman at Dillon told me.....Thank. Mark 

Edited by Sigarmsp226

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

So this comment came up when I was talking to Dillon last week. The Dillon gentleman told me that one of the key features that the 1100 will have is a priming system that is almost identical to the old RL1050 not the current Super 1050.  He said that the RL 1050 priming system was less problematic than the Super 1050 and that is why they are reverting back to this type of priming system. He went on to say that once you get everything dialed in on the Super 1050 the primer issues are significantly reduced.

I do not have or have ever loaded on a RL 1050 or a Super 1050 so I cannot comment on this one way or another....If anyone here has experience with both can you please chime in with your comments and feedback as to what the gentleman at Dillon told me.....Thank. Mark 

I have both a super 1050 and an RL1050 as well. The priming system is completely the same idk where this comment is coming from 

Laxman. I was also talking to him about the 750 vs. the 650. Are the priming systems on the 750 and 650 different?  I have a 650 but know nothing about the 750. If they are different I may have gotten this messed up in my head and posted the wrong information...

Also Sir if I may ask what are the differences in the RL vs. the Super and are you aware of what went away on the Super that might be coming back to the 1100?...Thanks  Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

19 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Laxman. I was also talking to him about the 750 vs. the 650. Are the priming systems on the 750 and 650 different?  I have a 650 but know nothing about the 750. If they are different I may have gotten this messed up in my head and posted the wrong information...

Also Sir if I may ask what are the differences in the RL vs. the Super and are you aware of what went away on the Super that might be coming back to the 1100?...Thanks  Mark

Yes the 750 closely resembles the 550 priming system. 650 is its own thing to my knowledge.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully soon.

I would rather see them delay the product and ensure it's right vs rush it when it's not quite ready.

None of us like the delays. However, I'd rather have the delay than get a product that is not quite ready for prime time.

I've worked in manufacturing / Auto Industry and have seen what happens when a product is released before it's "ready"

Reading posts of those that have actually used an 1100 at a demo booth they seemed to like it.

Because any malfunction at the primer station requires removing the solid retainer to get the case out. With the spring retainer you can just take it out.

At least for me the primer insertion station is the most unreliable station in the machine so ease of removal is a big help.

New Dillon catalog (Blue Press) just arrived and Dillon has raised their price on the Super 1050 to $2000 ($1999.99 so you might as well say $2k)...Will have to look at last months catalog but I am thinking that is a $120.00 price Increase in one month...Will be interesting to see what the price for the 1100 will be since up to this point they have only provided an estimated price at release...

The price on the RL550C went up from $440.00 to $510 also.....OUCH.....Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226