Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compared Sig MPX PCC vs JP 15-GMR

I experimented with blowback/AR style PCC's and the Sig MPX gas piston system.  My objective was to settle on a Steel Challenge PCC.  Hands down (for me), the MPX had a much softer recoil impulse and was faster for me transitioning from target to target.  I know own 2 Gen 2 MPX's and 1 MPX PCC competition model.  They run any factory ammo and the 100 gr. Atlanta Arms Steel Challenge ammo.  With Hyperfire Eclipse 1-3/4 lb trigger these guns are fast.  My gas ports have NOT been enlarged.  Standard factory recoil springs.

Since PF is not an issue, I wanted the softest shooting gun that would run lighter loads with 100% reliability.  

I currently shoot M class PCC Steel Challenge and love my Sig's.  

On 10/19/2019 at 10:11 PM, Hoops said:

I experimented with blowback/AR style PCC's and the Sig MPX gas piston system.  My objective was to settle on a Steel Challenge PCC.  Hands down (for me), the MPX had a much softer recoil impulse and was faster for me transitioning from target to target.  I know own 2 Gen 2 MPX's and 1 MPX PCC competition model.  They run any factory ammo and the 100 gr. Atlanta Arms Steel Challenge ammo.  With Hyperfire Eclipse 1-3/4 lb trigger these guns are fast.  My gas ports have NOT been enlarged.  Standard factory recoil springs.

Since PF is not an issue, I wanted the softest shooting gun that would run lighter loads with 100% reliability.  

I currently shoot M class PCC Steel Challenge and love my Sig's.  

How often are you cleaning your gas valve & tappet on the MPX?

For me, I’m preferring the “3rd Gen” MPX PCC over any of the blowback guns I’ve run... without doing much of anything, it’s A LOT softer shooting then any buffer system tinkering ever got me and I’ve got next to no dot movement (if an aimed-pair is more than 1-2” apart it’s 100% me and not the gun), running factory 140ish pf ammo. 

I’m somewhere between 2500-3000rds without a single hiccup of any kind and without a single cleaning yet (I do run it wet AF though, adding lube pretty much every session), I’m purposely not cleaning it in order to see when it stops? I know it’s got to be about do for a cleaning though.

That said, I’ve never even shot a single round through it without having already added a *TTI stock adapter + BCM SOPMOD stock, which I know contributes a lot to how solid and “locked in” the gun feels shouldered, helping to mitigate dot movement.

*FYI, figured out the TTI adapter works best and is more truly in-line with the bore when set 1 pic notch “down” from where it looks like it should naturally be mounted (this is how Taran Butler is mounting them on all more recent MPX builds), and this also fixed the mystery of why my optic height felt so wonky compared to an AR, as the MPX has a greater sight-over-bore distance than a traditional AR... an absolute co-witness AR height optic = lower 1/3 on an MPX.

Edited by ck1
12 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

How often are you cleaning your gas valve & tappet on the MPX?

Plus/minus 2,000 rounds.  My first Gen 2 went a little longer but ran fine.  I have not had a single issue with my 3 MPX’s.  For what it’s worth, my Hyperfire Eclipse triggers have been fine.  

I know that guns are like Chevy and Fords.....all good but people have their own preference.   I shoot a lot of Outlaw Steel and Steel Challenge matches and for me, the very light recoil impulse from the MPX was the best choice for transition target to target speed.