Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compared Sig MPX PCC vs JP 15-GMR

Shooting pistol for many years now. After trying a PCC rifle liked it... lot's.

So I went all in..

Bought both the Sig MPX PCC 16" and  JP 15-GMR 14,5" since I started late with shooting and wanted the very best to compete in this new for me class.

Had (only) 2 days now of comparing them shooting 500 rounds through both...

Both are really great!

I call the JP a Mercedes and the Sig an Audi... Both great cars.

My opinion shooting 115 gn factory ammo in both (145 PF in Sig) and mind you I am new to PCC:

Look and feel:

The JP has the edge by far, the overall feel is by far superior. You know you have a quality rifle!

Handling:

The sig had the Isler hand guard fitted and Odin mag release and SI mag well, JP was completely standard except Techwell mag well. JP is short stroked with 2 thungsten, 3 steel..). Sig has C-more 4 MOA and JP Holosun 510c.

JP feels more balanced. Grip more natural. More easy to reload. Feels more ' focussed' if I can mention one word... I was faster getting the rifle on target with the JP..

Shooting;

Both extremely accurate. Sig by far much ' softer' feeling. JP feels like 223 in comparison to .22 Sig. 

Then more important since soft with 9mm is a non discussion: with the Sig sight recovery was ok (dot went up and to the right like 2 cm).

With the much 'harder' JP sight recovery was amazingly fast. And way faster then the Sig... Dealer told me it will improve further with some changes in buffer system, let's see.

Cleaning/maintenance:

Recognizing I am no hero in this area but for me a (very) clear win to the JP. How much I want to like the Sig in this area it really sucks.

Reliability:

Still working on Sig... Stove pipes with factory ammo. Pistol loads don't work at all... Seems JP wins, need more time to confirm.

Overall:

I really wanted the Sig to be superior. I spent lot's to get the goodies (Odin mag release, Isler hand guard, RHT mag pouches, etc... 

It maybe is in some area's (shot by shot).

But: The overall feel of the JP and the amazing sight recovery made me decide that the Sig have to go, I join the JP club.

Hope this helps for some.

regards,

Thanks for the report. I know you waited a long time to get both guns. I was deciding what to buy at the time you ordered them. I've had my JP for a few months now and am really happy with it. I did put a Smoke Composites CF handguard on mine and it helped the overall balance for me, less front heavy. Happy shooting for you!

After shooting the MPX for a couple years, I finally broke down / gave in and picked up a GMR-15 3 weeks before Nationals. In the 5000 rounds since I got it, the JP is 100% reliable. I know my load isn’t quite dialed in yet, but I see the JP having the potential to feel almost as soft as the Sig and just as fast, if not faster.

Good write up...my experience aligns very closely with what you’ve learned. You just learned it much more quickly than me. And cost you a lot less ammo and wrecked matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems everyone agrees with author ???

As someone still "on the fence", I'd love to hear from "the other side".

Anyone disagree ?   Have experience with both, and prefer the Sig ?

I wonder if people who PREFER the AR have a lot of experience with AR-15's in .223 caliber,

and that alone is tipping the scale in terms of preference ?

Very glad you are enjoying the JP! 

@Hi-Power Jack the short answer is the JP will not let you down. It will run and run and just keep making you smile. Several folks have made the switch to JP from various platforms because they enjoy shooting contests, not troubleshooting contests. As a side benefit, when your friend's gun is having issues at a match you can be a big hero and the JP will run for him too. 

I've been on the fence about PCC for quite a while.  I have retina issues, so I want a soft shooting gun.  I also want one that shoots flat and quick and is 100% reliable.  I will probably only use it for SCSA, only because I love Open pistols for USPSA.

I have been paying particular attention to PCC shooters for the past month or so when I am not ROing.  The guys running the best in USPSA have tuned their guns and loads so the muzzle does not lift.  Recoil is straight back.  The difference in splits is astonishing compared to someone who has to wait for the sights to settle for the second shot.  I used to think that would not matter for SCSA because the dot should settle while you are making the transition, but the flat shooting guns are faster there as well.

Because I see so much junk out there (jamomatics, mags don't seat well, etc.) I've come to the conclusion I should buy one already assembled.  It won't be a JP for no other reason than they recoil more than others.  I think I'll be going with a Lead Star Prime.

16 hours ago, egd5 said:

Thanks for the report. I know you waited a long time to get both guns. I was deciding what to buy at the time you ordered them. I've had my JP for a few months now and am really happy with it. I did put a Smoke Composites CF handguard on mine and it helped the overall balance for me, less front heavy. Happy shooting for you!

tnx, i remember the discussion, tnx for your advise!

6 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

I'm glad you're happy and you need to pick whichever works best for you, but:

.... Did you put it against a timer?

Other than reliability, it's the only metric that matters IMO.

agree, I didn't but just by 2nd shot speed I give the edge to the JP...

5 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I tried desperately to love my Sig MPX. But it continually failed me as a match gun. Bought a JP GMR 15 and now I never ever think about the gun. Just shoot.

Rowdy I read all your posts when I already ordered the Sig... 😞 anyway I get a decent price for it so lesson was expensive but manageable. Now I only need the best load 🙂

3 hours ago, m700 said:

Is the JP a "shelf model" or did you go through there builder?

It's a 100% standard 14,5" gun with the tactical comp (I might change) and hogue stock. I will add the heat dissipator (cause I like the looks and I know it doesn't do anything..), a TF Fattie mag well and am still checking which is the best red dot in my PCC journey (so far I only tested C-more 4 MOA and the Holosun 510c.

Based on advise here in Europe I will test the MBX buffer recoil system.... seems to be very good.

2 hours ago, John1969 said:

Where do you order the TF Fattie?  Haven't seen them in europe.  Or my google skills are letting me down.

Nowhere... I'll ask a flight attendant to buy it... Or buy it myself, I am in Vegas in December...

8 hours ago, zzt said:

I've been on the fence about PCC for quite a while.  I have retina issues, so I want a soft shooting gun.  I also want one that shoots flat and quick and is 100% reliable.  I will probably only use it for SCSA, only because I love Open pistols for USPSA.

I have been paying particular attention to PCC shooters for the past month or so when I am not ROing.  The guys running the best in USPSA have tuned their guns and loads so the muzzle does not lift.  Recoil is straight back.  The difference in splits is astonishing compared to someone who has to wait for the sights to settle for the second shot.  I used to think that would not matter for SCSA because the dot should settle while you are making the transition, but the flat shooting guns are faster there as well.

Because I see so much junk out there (jamomatics, mags don't seat well, etc.) I've come to the conclusion I should buy one already assembled.  It won't be a JP for no other reason than they recoil more than others.  I think I'll be going with a Lead Star Prime.

JP's recoil are than other AR's??  Please explain...

14 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

JP's recoil are than other AR's??  Please explain...

Just an observation based on how much guns move when shot.  I don't what loads people were shooting, so that may account for some of it.  I only shot a JP once with 124gr factory.  It had noticeable recoil.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What is it about the LSP that you like so much ?

They get rave reviews, shoot flat and soft, and are light weight.  Everyone praises their build quality.  No one has anything bad to say about them.  Plus they shoot Atlanta Arms 109PF Steel Challenge ammo without modification or tinkering with springs.  I'd love to handle and shoot one in person, but I don't know anyone who has one near me.