Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited 40SW handgun: CZ TSO vs Tanfoglio Witness Xtreme

Sean_ht

I havnt shot or owned the TANFO but I do own a TSO and I tell people time and time again its the best value for your money Limited gun out there. You can find one for around $1,650 online and even less used. I just bought an expensive 2011 that I do think will be a better gun but no way in hell is that gun going to be 3-4 times better. Maybe .5-1 times better but thats about it. I love that TSO. There is literally nothing you need to do to it other than take it out of the box. Even if you wanted to do anything after market there isnt really much available, which tells you there isnt much to improve at all. Mags are cheap, reliable, solid heavy gun, accurate, light trigger, all the things you can ask for. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Dawson Precision stainless STI Edge from when they used to sell a completely worked over model, and a Brazos stainless STI Edge. Both great guns. But both sitting in the safe. For Limited i'm using the TSO .40.  I've been shooting a Shadow 2 in PRD and CO the last few years, so the TSO just felt "right" to me. It's completely stock. 

Edited by JGus

On 10/16/2019 at 2:33 PM, motosapiens said:

why do you think the trigger on the tanfo is better? have you tried a cz? I had a regular garden-variety tac-sport and the trigger was pretty amazing.

Personally I would recommend the CZ because I think you'll find better support and parts availability and customer service.

DA for tanfo is smoother and predictable. 

I purchased a TSO 40, and today I tried it at the range. 

Super nice handgun, with perfect weight balance and grip angle. 

I was a bit skeptical about going into major route with 40. This TSO makes shooting 40 (180gr.) so pleasant that I felt I am shooting a 115gr. 9mm, rather than a snappy 40 caliber!

Thanks for your advice.

BTW, I shot with a STI of one of my friend the other day, and STI immediately goes to the top of my list for the next purchase :)

On 10/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, happygunner77 said:

DA for tanfo is smoother and predictable. 

This is about single-action-only guns for limited.

The SAO trigger in a Tanfoglio limited can be gotten every bit as good as the TSO, but the TSO will more reliably have a great trigger OOTB.  I don't know how the Xtreme version of the Tanfo does in that regard.  But ~$1k for a base Tanfo' Limited plus, say, $250 for a Henning flat trigger and an EGW hammer/sear and a trigger job is still leaves you a lot of money compared to either the TSO or the Xtreme.  

23 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

limited, just sayin'....

Yep.  A more valid answer would be that you can replace the factory trigger on a single-action Tanfo with the Henning flat trigger, which completely eliminates the broken trigger return spring issue that can hit CZ's and factory-trigger Tanfoglios.  

It probably doesn't break at the rate of the TRS on double actions simply because it isn't subjected to as much winding/unwinding due to the shorter travel.

But I've broken a TRS on a SAO Tanfoglio with a similar spring.  It's just a tightly packed thing that is under considerable tension (also makes reassembly a little bit of a pain).  After that, I switched to the Henning trigger which uses an entirely different trigger return spring design - instead of coiling around the trigger pin in a very confined space, it sits in a pocket at the front of the trigger itself and just pushes against the frame in a low-stress manner.  Reassembly is also easier with it.  

None of these are huge issues.  I was just responding to the irrelevant point that DA Tanfo pulls are (perhaps) more even than CZ DA pulls.  Since this thread is about limited guns, where SA is all that counts, and SAO guns in particular are being discussed, I was pointing out a difference that is at least relevant.  Whether it's material?  IDK. 

I went with the Tanfo Limited (non-Xtreme) before the TSO even existed.  I've played with TSO's and they're also fantastic.  I don't think there's any wrong answer to the question. They're all great, and people should go with whichever one they happen to like better (or can get a better deal on or can try in person or whatever).