Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow Orange comparison?

Woodsparrow

Not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question.

Basically: I've got experience shooting the Orange. If I wanted a pistol that was just as nice, but from a different brand, in 9mm, where would I look and would it be price comparable, and what division would it be?

I'm going to go shooting with a buddy soon.  He's got a CZ Shadow 1 Orange.  I've put a handful of bullets through it and it was really nice.

Just got a really nice bonus combined with a lot of OT, and I've got it lined out for fun. I've always wanted a nice 2011 or 1911 in 9mm; what would be a good gun to try and compare against his, as far as shooting quality and price - assuming I don't mind the DA/SA differences.

I'd like to try shooting USPSA at some point, are 2011s going to be an open-only gun? I didn't see them on the production list.

In my area the Orange would go for around 1600, or 1730 after taxes. I'm partial to 9mm just because I've got a handful of other things in the caliber and I don't have the facilities to pick up reloading to make .40 or .45 cheap.

I know a 9mm in 1911 would be a single stack only class, and that that's mostly regarded as a dead division from what I read. Doubly so shooting minor PF.

Any SAO gun, like the 2011, will put you in Limited division. Limited is quite competitive, at least around my area. However, most shoot Limited major which would put you at a disadvantage shooting minor. Doesn't mean you can't and it won't really matter for your first year. If you already had the 2011, I'd say shoot it and worry later about the major vs. minor thing but since you're buying for the purpose of USPSA, I'd say consider a gun you can shoot in Production if you're stuck on 9mm.

By the way, you may want to look at the Tanfo Stock III. Very similar to Shadow. I've held one but not shot one. Nice gun from what I hear. Another is the Walther Q5 Match SF. I have yet to see or touch one in person but it just does something for me. Would love to shoot one. Who knows... could be a crap shooter. Just think it looks rad.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I got to shoot the Q5 Match (polymer) great gun, but rubbed my thumb joint in a way no pistol has before/after. Only 50 rounds in and I called it done. Felt great in my hand, pointed well, loved the grip, etc. But didn't fit my geometry and I figured I don't shoot enough to spend time training it out.

Thanks for the breakdown on limited, I knew I was missing something.

If you want a nice gun why not just get a std. Shadow 2 and swap a few springs?  A few more parts and some polishing get you at Orange level, I've done it.  I know a good Production Master with the same gun set up the same way, so it will take you (and me, first year, D)  a long way.  

Not from a different manufacturer, but look at a CZ TSO in 40S&W. It would be a limited gun, as it is SA only....but, you can buy a conversion barrel in 9mm, and buy a couple of 9mm TSO mags, and you have a Limited 9mm minor gun and a Limited 40S&W major gun. 

If you want something comparable in the same price range I’d look into both the Stock 3 Extreme and Walther Q5 Match SF.  I think you’d be happy with any one of those guns. 

If your trying to save some coin for mags, belt, holster, mag pouches etc. I’d look into the Shadow 2 or Eaa stock 2/3 or even the Q5.

I’ve only shot Walthers and CZ in USPSA.  I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

14 minutes ago, Elcidaviator said:

If you want something comparable in the same price range I’d look into both the Stock 3 Extreme and Walther Q5 Match SF.  I think you’d be happy with any one of those guns. 

If your trying to save some coin for mags, belt, holster, mag pouches etc. I’d look into the Shadow 2 or Eaa stock 2/3 or even the Q5.

I’ve only shot Walthers and CZ in USPSA.  I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

More of just an idea of what's worth buying, and what to look for new/used to form a good comparison to, and what to look at the local areas to see what I could rent or borrow from friends, or at least see in a store.

Walther SF has a short grip, but fatter IMO than my S2.  I handled a TSO last weekend and man that gun fits me perfect, but again the frame is slightly bigger than an S2.  Funny though i always thought the S2 felt smaller than the older Shadow or 75s due to the more aggressive cut.

27 minutes ago, GMP said:

Walther SF has a short grip, but fatter IMO than my S2.  I handled a TSO last weekend and man that gun fits me perfect, but again the frame is slightly bigger than an S2.  Funny though i always thought the S2 felt smaller than the older Shadow or 75s due to the more aggressive cut.

I got to handle the Shadow 1 and Shadow 2 side by side. The Shadow 1 frame was smaller diameter somehow. Could have been a smaller grip or narrower panels or what, but the 2 for sure had more 'girth', my fingers didn't wrap as well.

1 hour ago, Woodsparrow said:

I got to handle the Shadow 1 and Shadow 2 side by side. The Shadow 1 frame was smaller diameter somehow. Could have been a smaller grip or narrower panels or what, but the 2 for sure had more 'girth', my fingers didn't wrap as well.

I have med/small hands and would not want it any smaller.  I'm using some flat G10 grips with a layer of epoxy and silicon carbide.  I have just enough room for my support hand to make proper contact.  Might even add another layer on the rear half of the left panel.  In any case I haven't handled anything in a similar steel frame gun that was smaller.  Forget about 2011s.

Honestly, don’t pick a gun you think you want to shoot in USPSA until you get the hang of USPSA. There’s a lot of differences in the divisions. If you have a pistol just shoot that for a while.

I have a TSO in 40 and shoot Limited but that’s what I really like to shoot. 40 is a pain in the ass and it’s hard on the gun. Reloading your own ammo is really the way to do it, or shoot Syntech. Regular ammo is a lot snappier.

A friend of mine was in the same boat as you. Money set aside for a new gun and he wanted to shoot USPSA. He doesn’t reload and quickly learned that the cost of 40 ammo was a bit crazy. He struggled with it a lot.

Then he started shooting a Sig X5 and made B class in production pretty quick.

A 9mm TSO is a big competitive disadvantage.

If you really want to buy something snazzy, get a Shadow 2 and just shoot it. It doesn’t really need anything. You’ll also have cash left over for mags and holster and pouches, etc

I have to agree with what's been said about the S2. It's a great gun right out the box. I actually shoot a standard SP-01 manual safety on account of being in California and the S2 not being on the silly gun roster. However, my SP-01 has all the CGW fixins. In all honesty, I prefer it over the S2s I've shot. The grip is a little different and the weight seems more balanced to me. It cou just be I've shot it so much.

But again, if I were in a free state, I'd get an S2 and call it a day. I love shooting Production and it's one of the top sidearms for the division. I'm still new to the sport and have a lot to learn and develop but I don't see myself moving to another division. Production is quite competitive, 9mm is super cheap to load and I love all the damn reloads required in a typical stage. It makes you think a bit and the gun handling is one thing I dig. Maybe I'm just weird.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I have two TSOs and. Czechmate which both share the same frame which is larger than the S2. Therefore, if the S2 is too girthy for you then you will certainly not get along well with a TSO / Czechmate.  I agree with others that the S2 is a great gun. If you want a similar size grip as the S1 then may I suggest a Trojan or PM9 both SS pistols. I had a Trojan that was hands down the most accurate pistol I’ve ever owned. You also mentioned 2011s which are larger than the TSO / Czechmates so you will find those uncomfortably too large too, I’m afraid.