Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
igolfat8

Build up in Gen 5 muzzle crown?

My Gen 5 barrels have a square shoulder, 90* recess just inside the muzzle, Unlike the common 11* chamfer or rounded inward crowns. My Gen 5 crowns are accumulating carbon and gunk QUICKLY. After only 100 rounds the crown is completely invisible. It takes scraping to remove the build up. Is anyone else having or noticing this issue? 

24 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

My Gen 5 barrels have a square shoulder, 90* recess just inside the muzzle, Unlike the common 11* chamfer or rounded inward crowns. My Gen 5 crowns are accumulating carbon and gunk QUICKLY. After only 100 rounds the crown is completely invisible. It takes scraping to remove the build up. Is anyone else having or noticing this issue? 

Haven’t noticed it. I’ve got a LOT of ammo thru mine. 

Pics?

Mine acquires some carbon but nothing I would complain about. However, I have upwards of 7-8k through mine without being cleaned. 

6 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Are you running lead bullets?

Yes, I’m running cast lead / powder coated and Hi-Tek coated bullets. Same boolits I’ve shot well over 175,000 through other Glocks and CZs without any issues. I’ve never had any bore leading even in my open 34 and Czechmate. I just find it odd that the Gen 5 muzzle is accumulating carbon build up and so quickly.

1.5 years on a gen 5 17 with 147 blues and sport pistol and nothing more than a bore snake every month or so are have not see any build up of any kind.

I clean the crown periodically with a dental pick and a pure copper scrub pad.

I have been noticing that my main 34 has been losing some accuracy. My back up has not. Looking at the crowns, the problem 34 has quite a bit more build up. Hmmmm....