Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1050 & Redding Pro Series Sizing Die

Hi all,

Since switching to the RL1050, my failure rate on loaded rounds not gauging in my Hundo has more than doubled - from approx 2% to 5%. 

This is for 9mm and I'm using a Redding Pro Series Titanium Carbide sizing die. I also crimp with a Lee factory crimp die. 

The rounds are not gauging around the base of the cases and not the neck (used blacked out a round with a Sharpie to see where the interference was). 

The sizing die was set up and installed per Dillon's instructions and I have tried to lower the die slightly with no noticeable improvements. 

This sizing die worked fine for me when loading on my old Lee Loadmaster but it doesn't seem to play nice with the Dillon. 

Any suggestions or tips I can try?

Thanks everyone. 

Did you start lubing.This is my current problem, I find that lube prevents gauging once the hundo gets coated. Im not sure why switching presses would make a difference.

Did you pick up a new batch of brass? I recently bought 10k of 9 and since they were not from my pile of brass there existed glock brass.

Also 5% isn't that bad,0% would be better, assuming they are close just chuck them in a practice pile.

18 hours ago, dillon said:

First, do sized, unflared cases gage?  Next, is it the same headstamp that fails?

Almost all sized, unflared cases will gauge.  Different headstamps (i.e. random) fail.

Thanks for your help!

19 hours ago, m700 said:

Did you start lubing.This is my current problem, I find that lube prevents gauging once the hundo gets coated. Im not sure why switching presses would make a difference.

Did you pick up a new batch of brass? I recently bought 10k of 9 and since they were not from my pile of brass there existed glock brass.

Also 5% isn't that bad,0% would be better, assuming they are close just chuck them in a practice pile.

Thanks!  Yes, I lube the cases before sizing, but I’ve always done that so don’t think that’s the issue I’m experiencing.

It is mixed range brass as well, but I’ve always used that too. 

Maybe more crimp...

If sized, unflared cases pass the gage, but loaded rounds fail, the most likely causes are insufficient crimp or insufficient case mouth flaring. Have you measured the case mouth on the loaded rounds that failed to gage? What do they measure? What is the dimension on rounds that pass the gage?

On the 1050s, the case neck is expanded above the primer pocket swager. The powder measure only flares the case mouth. You might compare how deep bullets are seated to how deep the neck expander goes into the case.

48 minutes ago, dillon said:

If sized, unflared cases pass the gage, but loaded rounds fail, the most likely causes are insufficient crimp or insufficient case mouth flaring. Have you measured the case mouth on the loaded rounds that failed to gage? What do they measure? What is the dimension on rounds that pass the gage?

On the 1050s, the case neck is expanded above the primer pocket swager. The powder measure only flares the case mouth. You might compare how deep bullets are seated to how deep the neck expander goes into the case.

Thanks! I will look at that as soon as I get my press back up and running (see other thread about broken main shaft. Lol). 

On 10/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, Furrly said:

Yeah , simple answer -LEE-U-DIE

Does a progressive with a case feeder like the 1050 still run reliably with the Lee U-Die (since the base of the case is narrower than the dillon resizing die) Do you get any stoppages while loading??
thanks

12 minutes ago, Cliveb said:

Does a progressive with a case feeder like the 1050 still run reliably with the Lee U-Die (since the base of the case is narrower than the dillon resizing die) Do you get any stoppages while loading??
thanks

I don't run my press automated, if that's what your referring to, however manuel with the Lee U die it runs perfect. I do lube my brass with lanolin and alcohol mixture.. 

1 minute ago, Furrly said:

I don't run my press automated, if that's what your referring to, however manuel with the Lee U die it runs perfect. I do lube my brass with lanolin and alcohol mixture.. 

Oh, not automated - but hand cranking at a nice pace. Glad to hear that it works for you. I'll seriously consider it - have quite a lot of brass that won't gauge even after passing through a factory crimp die - from what I read, the U-die is better (and way cheaper than a rollsizer...)

29 minutes ago, Cliveb said:

Oh, not automated - but hand cranking at a nice pace. Glad to hear that it works for you. I'll seriously consider it - have quite a lot of brass that won't gauge even after passing through a factory crimp die - from what I read, the U-die is better (and way cheaper than a rollsizer...)

It's a cheap investment that's well worth it.. 

7 hours ago, Cliveb said:

thanks

Yes

The 1050 with Ammobot runs just fine with both Dillon and Lee dies. I have personally used both.