Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping a press?

RJH

I'm looking at selling my Square Deal press and I went to the post office to get an idea on shipping, and they said it would be about 60 bucks. That shipping it in the original box. Is there a better way of going about it? $60 seems like a lot. So any of y'all that have shipped  hey press like that what's the best way you found? Thanks

And who is this "they " ?
Lowes large 24X18X18, moving box is just under the "oversize" charge at the post office,, ship it through them, way cheaper than UPS or Fedex unless you have an account. Ive shipped saddles that way usually about 30 lbs for about 40 bucks, been awhile though.
Get a standard medium or large box from Lowes,, weigh it and go online to the USPS websight can get exact costs.
Medium HD box is $3,, looks like from TX to VA for a 18X18X16 20 lb box would be $ 47,,, no idea what weight would add up to.

Edited by Joe4d

I've always found it interesting how much it costs to ship things - either businesses get a break and get commercial rates that are much cheaper, or they build the cost of shipping into their products.

I once lost money on a snare drum stand that I'd found "broken," and then fixed and sold. (the roller pin had come out of the well the post for the snare basket sits in - I replaced it with a larger roller pin)  I advertised free shipping when I sold it on ebay, but because a snare drum stand is fairly heavy, it ended up costing me a touch more to ship it than I got for it on the sale.

The buyer actually asked if he could help with the shipping, but I stuck to what I'd said - free shipping CONUS.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

And who is this "they " ?
Lowes large 24X18X18, moving box is just under the "oversize" charge at the post office,, ship it through them, way cheaper than UPS or Fedex unless you have an account. Ive shipped saddles that way usually about 30 lbs for about 40 bucks, been awhile though.
Get a standard medium or large box from Lowes,, weigh it and go online to the USPS websight can get exact costs.
Medium HD box is $3,, looks like from TX to VA for a 18X18X16 20 lb box would be $ 47,,, no idea what weight would add up to.

"they" was usps.  I got online and punched it in and still was $60.  This was just to a random SC zip code as i was just looking for an estimate

UPS rates differ greatly depending on whether the destination address is residential or commercial by sometimes 100%

Get the recipient to give you a commercial address and your local UPS store should be much cheaper than $60

Was it priority? Ive shipped 70 lb boxes from HI to WI and it was 75 bucks with USPS for the cheapest method. You can't buy that one online, it's only in the post office.

And yeah, there are corporate USPS rates for small businesses and the big guys negotiate even lower rates.

Edited by Intheshaw1
Spelling

UPS or FedEx is almost always less expensive than USPS on packages weighing more than 4 or 5 lbs. That said, go directly to a UPS or FedEx hub, and you will pay less than a 3rd party shipper typically charges. www.fedex.com has a shipping cost tool on their website, as does USPS. I imagine UPS does as well. This way you can get an idea of the cost. You will need to know the dimensions of the box and the weight to get the most accurate quote.

When I sold my spare SDB a few years ago, I sold it face-to-face, since

I'm residing in Gun Country (Central Florida).

I suspect YOU also live in Gun Country.

Just a suggestion, I can't imagine you'll have ANY trouble selling your

SDB locally - advertise it around the local gun clubs, and here on BE.

Betcha sell it very quickly    :) 

Ended up shipping through UPS at the UPS store as the hub has weird hours.  would have been 33, but with insurance it ended up being $41, so not great, but not horrible either.

• 2 weeks later...