Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Leginon grip modification idea and carry Optics Legality

EngineerEli

Hey All,

So I picked up an X5 Legion to give carry optics. So far I have been pretty happy with it, and I love the weight of it, but I found the grip dug into the the base of my thumb, which drove me nuts. I realized that all of my favorite guns have wide grips with narrow beaver tails, Tanfo, CZ, 2011. I was afraid to start cutting on the fancy legion grip, so I used part of my $200 rebate to get a standard polymer X5 grip, to modify. The modification was a little rough, because I rushed a bit, but I think it feels 100 times better now. I also realized that Sig does offer a similar narrow beavertail grip the for the XCompact, but its grip diameter is smaller and it doesn't have the same magwell, which we need for competition. Don't even think it would work with the 5" barrel anyway, but I handled one at a local gun shop, and it similarly feels way better than the standard X grips.

Question is, would this grip modification be legal for Carry Optics (or Production)? I want to be sure before modifying my actual X5 Legion grip in the same way.

XCompact Grip:

320-xcompact-left-web.jpg

It’s legal. I did the same thing on my old X5 grip and just did it on my brand new tungsten grip module. I used a dremel with sanding drum progressively sanding it until it was smooth.

Check this thread out for pictures and answers to your question:

Looks like I kind of reinvented the wheel a little bit, but I did execute the modification a little different that the others on your topic. Also, it has been verified it is acceptable for carry optics, but if I took the optic off and wanted to go back to production, would it still be allowed?

Side note, does anyone know the optimal FPS / IPS cutting speed for polymer, or the tungsten polymer? I am actually using an end mill on my drill press with an X Y vise, not sure if I was cutting at the right speed...

7 hours ago, OPENB said:

Don’t sweat the mag well. It’s not legal in carry optics. And all grips, slides, and FCUs are interchangeable. 

I was talking about the polymer mag well in the grip not the detachable one.  Notice the different curvature of the rear of the grip near the bottom too.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:53 AM, bimmer1980 said:

don´t understand why they made that chubby beavertail... i don´t like it.

I read somewhere that it was to break up the gun visually and make the bore axis appear lower... Could be wrong though...

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 12:28 AM, EngineerEli said:

Side note, does anyone know the optimal FPS / IPS cutting speed for polymer, or the tungsten polymer? I am actually using an end mill on my drill press with an X Y vise, not sure if I was cutting at the right speed...

The job turned out nice.   I am getting ready to do the same (poor man's mill).   What RPM and mill diam did you use?    And what did you use to get the final finish?   Sandpaper?   Did you wet sand?

On 3/9/2020 at 9:52 PM, LMS said:

The job turned out nice.   I am getting ready to do the same (poor man's mill).   What RPM and mill diam did you use?    And what did you use to get the final finish?   Sandpaper?   Did you wet sand?

Unfortunately I didn't make any notes and I don't remember exactly. To the best of my recollection, it was something like a 3/8 end mill at 1180 rpm. After my "machining" I did go back through with 220 sandpaper to get the remaining shape how I wanted it, then worked up to 320 then 600. (maybe 1500 don't remember) then I did actually use some mothers mag and aluminum polish on it, just by hand with a paper towel after. That helped to get it to the final finish.

One note I would advise people though, is to not remove too much material from the back underside of the beaver tail. I did thinking I wanted to make it look more like a 1911 style one, but now the back quarter or so if it doesn't even make contact with my hand, so I wish I would have left a little more meat there...

• 1 month later...

I just did mine today using the poor man's milling strategy (drill press with a mill in the quill).  The material is really forgiving - it works easily.   I built a jig to hold the frame and took a few shallow passes to be safe.  Some filing to shape it after the milling, then sanding with successive grits from 220 up to 2000.    Really happy with how it turned out, but probably not going to quit my day job.

side.jpg

back.jpg

Edited by LMS

• 1 month later...