Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 + optics longevity

Lior

Guys,

Last year I procured two used Shadow 2s and stuck red dots on a dovetail mount on them. First Delta Point Pros, then Shield RMSs.

At some point in their lifetime these S2s had had reduced weight springs installed on them, for a 6 lb DA trigger pull.

Now shooting them was great fun. Compared to the M&P 2.0 that I have left, sight picture recovery was faster, the SA trigger nicer and the gun was just as grippy owing to Lok Grips, but the problem was that the red dots only lasted a couple of thousand rounds before the electronics became dislodged and quit mid-stage. I've had no such trouble running red dots on the G17 MOS and M&P 2.0 with stock recoil springs. I miss the S2 and would want it back, if only I could have peace of mind shooting it.

So my question to you lot is how has the reliability of your red dot on a S2 with stock recoil spring and buffer been? I'm asking because I'd rather shoot a familiar platform than explore a new one (e.g. SIG P320X5 Legion).

From what I've seen every slide mount optic will fail at some point no matter the gun. It's a crap shoot. Some optics are better, but I haven't noticed a difference based on the gun they are on. If you compete and put a lot of rounds down range it's likely you'll break at least 1 optic a year. Pick one with a good warranty and plan to have to send it in ever now and then.

A friend that works at Glock in T&E says the DPPs statistically last the longest, but he's broken every major optic on the market testing them for Glock. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It's not if a (slide mounted) RDS will fail, but when.  I have 2 DPPs that I used on my S2. Between the two, they have been back to Leupold 4 times.  Last time my DPP failed was in the am of the first day of a 2 day Brandon Wright clinic.  I was sooo pizzed.  Fortunately I brought my backup.  

I am now running an SRO on my S2.  4K rounds and counting.  If it fails, I will send it in, and probably buy another one, and rotate those like I did the DPP.

If you're planning on shooting competition and you're planning on shooting a lot, you need 4 optics IMO.  

If you're just plinking around on the range from time to time, then you can decide what will work for you.  

I've had two dots go down on me in the same week. 

I've got about 5 thousand through my Shadow 2 with the SRO and about 2,000 on my M&P 9L and have had zero issues so far (fingers crossed)

I did not shoot as much this summer as I would've liked but so far so good.

I do have a Vortex Venom that has about 6500 rounds through it and is still going strong. It's now on a Ruger mark III .22 so i expect it to last quite a while

Everyone commenting that they got 6k rnds on a dot should prepare themselves for the immanent dot failure that's just around the corner.  

I want to see someone post that they got 25k on three dots. 

Haven't heard of anyone getting that much on three dots. I've got 25k one of mine but my others all crapped out around 5-8k. 

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

Everyone commenting that they got 6k rnds on a dot should prepare themselves for the immanent dot failure that's just around the corner.  

Haven't heard of anyone getting that much on three dots. I've got 25k one of mine but my others all crapped out around 5-8k. 

My back up dot has around 20k on it, because its been on both of my guns a lot this year. The other 3 have been back for repair 5 times between them with ~20k rounds.

21 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Really just luck of the draw. We've got a LOT of customers with 25k+ on single Deltapoint Pros. 

13 minutes ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Really just luck of the draw. We've got a LOT of customers with 25k+ on single Deltapoint Pros. 

I've got one that's got that many on it.  

I was saying I'd like to see reports of folks having the 25 k on more than one. Meaning they have 3-4 dots. each one having 25k on it. I'm seeing folks(myself included) getting lucky with one dot and not lucky with all thier other ones. 

Edited by B_RAD

My reliability has been fine.  The cgw s2 has somewhere between 9-10k with one dpp.  The new fire for effect one only has 2k or so but has been fine.  I don't shoot anything that is that crazy yet so I don't mind having my practice gun in the bag and if one takes a s#!t I index as best I can and talk to the folks in charge about doing the ole gun swap.

I had two Vortex Venoms that both went down the same day during a match, both had maybe 1.5k rounds on them, switched to an SRO and have 1k on them now and they have been great. Have the mounted on the CZC RDS plate system. 

Im just getting in to the dot game myself, but Im not sure I can afford it!  Most of the competition guys Ive talked with agree you need at least 3.  One on the gun, one as backup, and one that is off for repair/replacement.  Best backup is to have it mounted and sighted in on a backup slide. I don't have the budget for that so not sure how long I'll play the optics game.

P1Iiipq.jpg

Thats pretty much right.  Folks smarter than me recommend getting two of what ever gun you are going to shoot in competition.  Shoot rounds through both guns to see which is better and have that be your match gun.  Your practice/dryfire gun is the other.  I question my choice of S2 for this role more slides are coming out now but a bare slide doesn't fix a problem in the lower.  

Edited by nickforney

On 10/15/2019 at 4:53 AM, Lior said:

Guys,

Last year I procured two used Shadow 2s and stuck red dots on a dovetail mount on them. First Delta Point Pros, then Shield RMSs.

So my question to you lot is how has the reliability of your red dot on a S2 with stock recoil spring and buffer been? I'm asking because I'd rather shoot a familiar platform than explore a new one (e.g. SIG P320X5 Legion).

I thought they would hold more than your shadow 2 . 😉

1 hour ago, CZ85Combat said:

The dovetail mounts flexes more and the flex kills red dots.  I have a DPP with over 17,000 rounds and still going.  I have one that I let get a little loose at about 20,000 rounds and it died within 200 rounds.

Then of course the 20,000 rds might have had something to do with it ... 😉

On 10/22/2019 at 4:53 PM, kmam2010 said:

Does anyone think the OP failures are due to the dovetail mount or strictly due to bad luck? Do you think an optic would last longer if milled instead of dovetail mounted?

Well I’m sure the dovetail mount doesn’t help anything. As stated above you could safely assume it flexes and moves more then a milled mount. 
I think any slide mounted optic will eventually fail. 

1 hour ago, nickforney said:

what are you gonna do with the old dpp?

When I get it back from the Leupold, I'll mount it, sight it in and keep that slide for a back up.

i was never super crazy about the DPP, anyways.  The 7.5 MOA triangle is massive when you have tight no shoots and the 2.5 MOA dot feels just as midge too small.  The 5MOA SRO feels perfect.